Cloudnovel - Create, publish, and play online visual novels

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Sonya
Regular
Completed: Cafe Rouge, Skights
Deviantart: winechan

Re: Cloudnovel - Create, publish, and play online visual nov

#31 Post by Sonya » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:24 am

Great news guys, so officially you can make online AND offline visual novels now with CloudNovel. Check out my latest visual novel (available online and downloadable): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42874

Sonya
Regular
Completed: Cafe Rouge, Skights
Deviantart: winechan

#32 Post by Sonya » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:39 pm

holdinglines
Projects: Against the OZ

#33 Post by holdinglines » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 pm

This looks super interesting! Bless you for this
Last edited by holdinglines on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#34 Post by LizardRobot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 am

Sonya wrote:[Hey there, if I can ask what are you interested in having in terms of CloudNovel handling the capabilities of your visual novel? If you can tell me now the faster I can work on it to add it to our website!
You added downloadability! That was a crucial addition. You've also already got easy scaling, which is important. I'm doing the game in 1080x1920 resolution, but I'm a bit worried with the advent of retina displays and similar screen dpi, will 1080 be enough? I'm on a Surface Studio myself, so I'm working with 4500x3000 resolution, and my own game only occupies a portion of my screen... The fact that Cloudnovel scales so easily is definitely a selling point.

One thing I have to have as a player is the ability to make the text appear instantly without having to wait. The horizontal text reveal is so slow, I hate having to click constantly just to finish reading a sentence. At the moment this is the biggest barrier to me wanting to play around in Cloudnovel. I know this sounds like such a minor thing, but the sheer tedium of waiting for text to finish appearing would drive me mad when testing a game and looking for any typos. It makes games on Cloudnovel currently borderline unplayable for me.

The main thing I'm hoping to implement in Shanty is the ability to change the sprite set for a character based on the player's choices of options. So, for example, you go into game settings and pick what hat you want to wear. The game then automatically switches the sprite set, maybe by calling a variable -- so MC## changes to MC01 or MC02 depending on the player's hat choice. Alternately, just setting it up in a character creation type interaction would work, too. I know Cloudnovel has character creators in the resource area, but those are thing you have to manually output and upload, yes? There's no way to integrate that type of thing natively into a game yet, offering character creation as part of gameplay? Making outfit changes on the fly?

Finally, I'm thinking of doing Live2d down the line. I'm not sure if I want to try and learn that myself or outsource it, if I even want to try it. I'm on the fence.

But these are the sorts of things I'm considering w/r/t engine choice.