Which engine should I use for an RPG-type visual novel?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
renboo

Which engine should I use for an RPG-type visual novel?

#1 Post by renboo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm

I'm looking to make a small dating game in which the player can walk around in a 2D environment (similar to games like Undertale, Pokemon, Stardew Valley, etc) but will also be able to talk to characters and have a text box and image of the character appear. I would like there to be various events, a time system, quests, etc. But the main focus would be around talking to other characters and following the story in this 2D world.

I have heard that Unity may be a good idea, but I'm considering whether or not to buy an RPG Maker engine. I need it to have the functions of a 2D RPG game, but also the functions of a visual novel. I am fully willing to research and study how to make these sorts of games and all the skills needed, but just as a starting point I want to know what engine would suit me best.

What are your thoughts? RPG Maker? Unity? Or maybe something entirely different?

Imperf3kt
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Which engine should I use for an RPG-type visual novel?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 pm

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/pro ... ker-vx-ace

Though its designed for a Japanese user, so I don't know if that'll be a barrier.

Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.

Errilhl
Regular
Projects: HSS

Re: Which engine should I use for an RPG-type visual novel?

#3 Post by Errilhl » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:01 pm

I know that there are projects utilizing both RPG-maker (for the environment, walking around) and Ren'Py for the VN bits. That might be a way to go - I don't know how complicated it is to get these things to talk together,though.
Currently working on: Image