Looking for Godot Users to Make a VN Template Together

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
qtren

Looking for Godot Users to Make a VN Template Together

#1 Post by qtren »

Hi there,

I am currently developing a VN template on the Godot engine. Why Godot? It is a free and open source general game engine with a great community. Well, Renpy is great (and I love Renpy). However, if say you want to incorporate a pixel/grid game into your VN, then it will be a pain in the ass to do it in Renpy (doable, but...). Other more involved VNs will also be hard, like Danganronpa.

That's why I want a Godot alternative for more complex VNs. (Well, of course, there is Nani Novel, but it's behind a paywall.)

So far I have the basic VN framework done. (Save, load, history, text progression, choices, quick menu, etc.)

There are two ways to edit VN scripts now. 1. directly in GDscript, and 2. use a .txt file and use the inbuilt json parser and then load json. There will be examples in the pictures below.

GDscript script editing:
3.PNG
.txt script editing:
1.PNG
Parsed json file:
2.PNG
Screen tint effect:
4.PNG
Load screen:
5.PNG
Example of a choice block:
6.PNG
6.PNG (10.39 KiB) Viewed 10075 times

My goal for this template is that it should be able to do everything Renpy can do, and in addition, it should come with more inbuilt functions like those in VN Maker. VN Editor UI is not planned, because I believe Renpy style editing is faster and more precise.

This is a free project, and I am doing this out of passion. If in the future, it generates profit, we can discuss how to share. But don't count on that. Right now, the project has already grown pretty big and complex. I am looking for 1-2 like-minded individual who have experience with the Godot engine to join the team. If you can spend 2-4 hours per week on this, then it is more than enough (That's how much time I spend on this after the first month). I want to have a few people to talk to and make design decisions together to avoid going down a dead road. This will be a perfect portfolio project in my opinion.

Basic requirement: at least 1 project (any genre) done on Godot with more than 15 min of playtime. If you can prove to me that you know your nodes and know GDscript basics, then the project is unnecessary.

If you are still interested, you can check out the project here
https://github.com/qtren/myVNTemplate
And contact me on discord: T.Q#8863

Thank you.

qtren

Re: Looking for Godot Users to Make a VN Template Together

#2 Post by qtren »

Here is my O2A2 Jam entry, and I used the current template to make it. The O2A2 game is only about 10 min and can barely showcase the full power of the template.

https://qtren2015.itch.io/o2a2-elegy-of-a-songbird

Lochana
Projects: Touhou - Reimu's day out! (Won't see the light of day probably)
Github: lochana-Dineko

#3 Post by Lochana »

I've seen your project on GitHub. It's cool and I admire the dedication. I don't have any experience in Godot (my potato PC struggles with it)
but I do have experience with a variety of VN engines, including the more niche ones.

Drop me a pm, I might be able to help you with the design side of things.

qtren

#4 Post by qtren »

Lochana wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:24 am I've seen your project on GitHub. It's cool and I admire the dedication. I don't have any experience in Godot (my potato PC struggles with it)
but I do have experience with a variety of VN engines, including the more niche ones.

Drop me a pm, I might be able to help you with the design side of things.
Hello, I am not sure if my pm reached you so I will post a reply here too. Yes, thank you very much and any help would be welcomed. However, communicating by mail or forum posts is very inefficient. If it's possible can you add me on discord? You can reach me at T.Q#8863

qtren

#5 Post by qtren »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODpTQz6Vu0

This is the current stage of the template. It has all basic features. All other advanced features like timed choice can either be made as an extension of current features or be made independently in Godot and then merged into your VN. I am still looking for collaborators. If you're interested, please let me know.

dino1489

#6 Post by dino1489 »

https://github.com/rakugoteam/Rakugo-archive
http://godotengine.org/asset-library/asset/975
I'm check for code used in other projects to make sure you aren't doing work that has already been done.