Looking for Sylph and Blade engines

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

Looking for Sylph and Blade engines

#1 Post by Der Tor »

Does anyone still have copies of the Sylph and/or Blade engines?
Since they are kinda dead and their sites are down i couldn't find them anywhere anymore :(

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Looking for Sylph and Blade engines

#2 Post by DaFool »

Wow... Ren'Py killed Blade Engine, despite their many marketing attempts. Also sad that many Ren'Py games used off-the-shelf assets donated for Blade Engine.

Sylph? Never heard.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

I wanted to try Sylph too, I wonder where it went... Neither were commercial, right? Or, am I mistaken?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I heard Blade had a free version, but also had some sort of commercial element too. I remember seeing Uncle Mugen comment about it in an article somewhere (he was telling people to try Ren'Py).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#5 Post by Junker-Kun »

Blade indeed had free version but to use it in commercial projects you had to pay. As for Sylph I've never heard of it. And I'm afraid that there is no way to get them now.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I also never heard of Sylph... But why we still need Blade or Sylph if we have RenPy that's so good and FREE ;)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#7 Post by Fawn »

Ren'py is indeed great, I really prefer to use it, but sometimes it's fun to mess with other programs too. :P

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#8 Post by DrakeNavarone »

If I remember correctly, Slyph was the custom engine that MAB Studios used for their games. I believe there was promise of a release of an SDK for the public, but I don't know if it was ever fulfilled. I don't get the impression it was, though I could be wrong or misremembering... But there's little surprise that almost no one has heard of it.

Quick Edit: One of the relevant threads for Slyph can be found here, http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=4713, but it appears all the links are dead.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#9 Post by sake-bento »

Blade Engine (free version) attached. I thought I had Sylph, but I can't seem to find it. O_o
Attachments
Default_VN_Kit.zip
Blade Engine
(6.83 MiB) Downloaded 227 times

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#10 Post by Blue Lemma »

DaFool wrote:Wow... Ren'Py killed Blade Engine, despite their many marketing attempts.
Not Ren'Py's fault. It was here first and is superior in nearly every way: features, price, platforms supported, customization... Usability is a matter of personal preference.

I don't feel too bad for them. They popped up on the scene and made all those press releases about being the "First" english visual novel maker or whatnot, which was BS. Not cool, very annoying.

And I've never heard of Sylph either.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

ficedula
Regular

#11 Post by ficedula »

DrakeNavarone wrote:If I remember correctly, Slyph was the custom engine that MAB Studios used for their games. I believe there was promise of a release of an SDK for the public, but I don't know if it was ever fulfilled. I don't get the impression it was, though I could be wrong or misremembering... But there's little surprise that almost no one has heard of it.

Quick Edit: One of the relevant threads for Slyph can be found here, http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=4713, but it appears all the links are dead.
Correct, we used it for the MorningStar games.

I did get it to the point where it was perfectly usable to make other games, but I didn't really push it as something People Should Use because over the past year or so I've not really had time to work on VNs at all; it wouldn't really make sense to try and convince people to use something that isn't really being supported in a useful sense.

If somebody really does want to play around with the engine I could package up all the tools etc. and post them somewhere.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#12 Post by tuna_sushi »

I've heard of Sylph here, and I think it's dead for a while... I've clicked on the link lots of time, and it never worked :|.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Never heard of Sylph as well :lol:

I agree though. I once tried messing with blade and I feel like my brain got distorted. Ren'py was easier. :3
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.