Belle - Visual novel maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
freemind
Regular

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#46 Post by freemind »

Hi again,

I will have to look into that "sample Novel Interface", but i think i know what you mean. The way i was thinking was a configuration menu that appeared when you pressed Esc, for example, and in that menu the player could save the game. This would make the life easier for the users making the games because they wouldn't have to worry about placing save buttons in their games, it would be already built-in.

For conditions, like in branch, you can use the name of the variable without the "$" behind it (e.g. loveinterest > 3). If this may confuse you (because in a dialogue you need the "$") you can use the $ aswell in the condition statement. For comparing you'll have to use the mathematic symbols (>, <, >=, <=), "==" for equal and "!=" for not equal. To join conditions together you can use the symbols "&&" and "||" or, in a more natural language, "and" and "or" (e.g. $loveinterest > 3 and $loveinterest < 6). Additionally you can double-click the textbox for the condition and a dialog for making conditions will pop-up. ;)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#47 Post by fleet »

Thanks for the explanations. :)
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular

#48 Post by freemind »

Hey,

I've recently added some documentation for Belle in the website. You can find it here: http://www.nongnu.org/belle/docs/index.html

Bye.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#49 Post by fleet »

Thanks for adding documentation. Have you fixed the 'stop sound' malfunction, or will that be in the next release? Also, have you added save and load functionality?
very respectfully,
fleet
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular

#50 Post by freemind »

Hello,
I haven't done that yet, but even if i did, it would be only available in the project's repository. So those changes (and more) will have to be in the next version (0.4). :)

Thanks for your interest.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#51 Post by fleet »

I'll be watching for version 0.4. :D

macygrace123

#52 Post by macygrace123 »

I like it, though I wish it had more effect's but i suppose you can make those effects later (i'm really new to VN making and game design in general) But the one thing I can't figure out is how to save your project on Belle. All I see is export onto a devise or open project, but no save?

freemind
Regular

#53 Post by freemind »

It's already implemented but it will only be available in the next version (0.4). I hope to add some new effects aswell in the next version. Are you interested in any effects in particular?
Thanks for the feedback.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by fleet »

When will Version 4 will be released?

freemind
Regular

#55 Post by freemind »

Hi fleet,

Sorry for the delay in the release. It's going forward, just slower than i expected. I've redone the engine a bit so in the future it supports things like custom scripts and rollback feature like Ren'Py has. I've also already added a couple of new features to the editor, like save (in addition to export project) and an integrated browser window.
I hope in the end of the month i'll make the release, thanks. :)

Maverynthia
Regular

#56 Post by Maverynthia »

Are you going to have a NVL mode/template with all the fancy text effects like "normal speed text, a pause, t h e n t h e c r e e p y b i t i s s l o w l y t y p e d o u t." Or that without the pause? That's what I'm mainly looking at. Making scary NVL style stories with some BGs

freemind
Regular

#57 Post by freemind »

Sure, why not? :) However it won't be available in next release, though. Maybe i can schedule it for 0.5 alpha. :)

Maverynthia
Regular

#58 Post by Maverynthia »

freemind wrote:Sure, why not? :) However it won't be available in next release, though. Maybe i can schedule it for 0.5 alpha. :)
Awesome thanks :D
I guess the only thing I want (and others) is the stand alone mode XD but that can come much later.

freemind
Regular

#59 Post by freemind »

Hey,

Just to let you know i'm still developing Belle and i started working on it more since the beginning of the year. Many things had to be implemented before i could go to savegames and in-game menus, which was and is the main feature of 0.4 release, and that's one of the reasons why it's taking more time than i ever expected.
I've also added a FAQ to the main site that has some answers to some questions you might have, including information about next release.

As usual, if you have any suggestions and/or issues to report, please say so, it helps development.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#60 Post by fleet »

Thanks for the update! I was afraid you gave up.