Belle - Visual novel maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
freemind
Regular

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#121 Post by freemind »

animestarathira wrote:YEAH.................. I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!! <3

BY THE WAY I am not happy with the way you guided me and it was really hard to follow your steps. And you should really brief out properly each steps you know but with your little guidance,I was able to create save button.

I would like to mention your name in my game as a thank you (credits)... you helped me out alone in this forum/community.. I really appreciate your time and efforts for me :-) :-)
Good to know. What was the problem?

Sure, if you want to give credits is fine. But next time don't assume people are here to serve you. Also try to be as detailed as possible about your issue and what you want to accomplish. If you started by saying you were making an android game it would have saved some time.

By the way, i don't know what your skills are, so i just briefly mentioned the steps. I was going to elaborate, since you didn't understand, but you also need to explain exactly what you didn't understand. That's how the world works.

Just as a side note, i don't think you realized but i'm the developer of Belle.

animestarathira

#122 Post by animestarathira »

I am glad to talk with you :-) and I am proud of your software :-) you made it easier than other software... I always wanted to talk with its developer and I am pleased to have your assistance in this. The creator itself helped me to use this software... Wow!! I thought I was talking to some random nerd :-) but anyway thanks to your software and your help, I WILL able to create my own game. It is still in development process.... thanks again

animestarathira

#123 Post by animestarathira »

besides do you know a way for me to publish my game for free on google playstore? I don't have money to register it. :-/

freemind
Regular

#124 Post by freemind »

animestarathira wrote:besides do you know a way for me to publish my game for free on google playstore? I don't have money to register it. :-/
You can't, you need an account and for that you need to pay €25 or something. You can publish outside the store as an apk too, but that's not something easy to do, especially because you're making a web app. You would need to "convert" it into an apk.

animestarathira

#125 Post by animestarathira »

I can convert it apk , I know the method :-)

animestarathira

#126 Post by animestarathira »

hey how can i convert it into apk.. it isn't working as i expected. I used adobe phone gap and app geyser...in app geyser we can export zip file but belle's index.html isn't working.iiespecailly in zip mode but when u unzip it works..Can u tell me way to convert into apk or could you plz convert it into apk. I need this much help only and I would be grateful too your help <3

animestarathira

#127 Post by animestarathira »

plz response soon or else I will lose the chance to publish the game as I only need to convert belle's game into apk only.

freemind
Regular

#128 Post by freemind »

animestarathira wrote:hey how can i convert it into apk.. it isn't working as i expected. I used adobe phone gap and app geyser...in app geyser we can export zip file but belle's index.html isn't working.iiespecailly in zip mode but when u unzip it works..Can u tell me way to convert into apk or could you plz convert it into apk. I need this much help only and I would be grateful too your help <3
Sorry i just saw your message now. About your problem, as i said i've never done that so i don't know how you can convert it or why it's not working. For the latter if you provide more details i may be able to help you.

VideaVice
Projects: Rowan Reed(comp)-A Hunter's Tale(comp)-Paranoid Kid & The Shadow(comp)-Purity(InDev)
Github: videavice
itch: videavice

#129 Post by VideaVice »

I tried to use Belle to turn my Ren'Py vn into an html based vn. I tried to go as far as I could for a couple of hours. So, there it is, I'm showing you the result and pointing at the good and the bad. Bearing in mind, the problems I met might just be due to my incomprehension of certain features and/or my laptop is missing a codec or some other components because clearly these issues were not present when I played and analyzed the Belle demo.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... DBpVF9scFU

The draws

1 - Easy enough to understand program and god knows I'm not the smartest tool in the box.

2- Seems to carry heavy amount of images (.png, .jpg, .gif) pretty well. I was afraid to encounter a bug the more I would add pictures(especially gifs) but nope the program handled it perfectly. Belle displays them all well and even automatically resized the pics(which is pretty cool).

The issues

1 - The text speed cannot be re-adjust once the project has been saved once. It always goes back to 50.

2 - I can't make objects and characters appear and disappear(hide/show) exactly where I want them to. I have to turn everything into a background pic.

3 - Play sound is a little shaky but works better than the objects/slash characters.

4 - Also the in progran browser sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (FPS Dummy)

I haven't tried to customized the font and display the name of the characters... maybe next time.

It's a truly promising program. Great job and keep up the good work.

P.S: Also sorry for the mistakes. I just copy/paste'd the original script and didn't read it afterward ;_;

freemind
Regular

#130 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote:I tried to use Belle to turn my Ren'Py vn into an html based vn. I tried to go as far as I could for a couple of hours. So, there it is, I'm showing you the result and pointing at the good and the bad. Bearing in mind, the problems I met might just be due to my incomprehension of certain features and/or my laptop is missing a codec or some other components because clearly these issues were not present when I played and analyzed the Belle demo.

The draws

1 - Easy enough to understand program and god knows I'm not the smartest tool in the box.

2- Seems to carry heavy amount of images (.png, .jpg, .gif) pretty well. I was afraid to encounter a bug the more I would add pictures(especially gifs) but nope the program handled it perfectly. Belle displays them all well and even automatically resized the pics(which is pretty cool).

The issues

1 - The text speed cannot be re-adjust once the project has been saved once. It always goes back to 50.

2 - I can't make objects and characters appear and disappear(hide/show) exactly where I want them to. I have to turn everything into a background pic.

3 - Play sound is a little shaky but works better than the objects/slash characters.

I haven't tried to customized the font and display the name of the characters... maybe next time.

P.S: Also sorry for the mistakes. I just copy/paste'd the original script and didn't read it afterward ;_;
Thanks for spending some time using Belle and giving feedback. I played your visual novel to the end and i thought the story was getting more interesting as it developed and the visuals were pretty good. You made the graphics? Anyway the only downside is that is not complete, but i guess you didn't convert the whole novel, which is fine, i'm glad you did something. By the way, is your Ren'Py version available anywhere? So i could see the differences and maybe play the full version.

The draws:
1- Yea, i tried to make it as easy and straightforward as possible. Although there a still some things that could be improved.

2- Good to hear. I think that part shouldn't pose any problems at this point, at least with normal images. With gifs it gets more complicated (due to the nature of web technologies used) but i think it shouldn't pose any problems either, as you've demonstrated.

The issues:
1- Right, i have to fix that.

2- I didn't understand this one. You can use show/hide actions on any object, with added effects (fade and/or slide) if you want. Something didn't work for you?

3- This also depends on the browser. Which browser(s) did you use?

4- What exactly didn't work? Also what OS are you using?

It's things like this that keep me motivated to work on this project. So, again, thanks for the support.

VideaVice
Projects: Rowan Reed(comp)-A Hunter's Tale(comp)-Paranoid Kid & The Shadow(comp)-Purity(InDev)

#131 Post by VideaVice »

freemind wrote:
VideaVice wrote:I tried to use Belle to turn my Ren'Py vn into an html based vn. I tried to go as far as I could for a couple of hours. So, there it is, I'm showing you the result and pointing at the good and the bad. Bearing in mind, the problems I met might just be due to my incomprehension of certain features and/or my laptop is missing a codec or some other components because clearly these issues were not present when I played and analyzed the Belle demo.

The draws

The issues

Thanks for spending some time using Belle and giving feedback. I played your visual novel to the end and i thought the story was getting more interesting as it developed and the visuals were pretty good. You made the graphics? Anyway the only downside is that is not complete, but i guess you didn't convert the whole novel, which is fine, i'm glad you did something. By the way, is your Ren'Py version available anywhere? So i could see the differences and maybe play the full version.

The draws:
1- Yea, i tried to make it as easy and straightforward as possible. Although there a still some things that could be improved.

2- Good to hear. I think that part shouldn't pose any problems at this point, at least with normal images. With gifs it gets more complicated (due to the nature of web technologies used) but i think it shouldn't pose any problems either, as you've demonstrated.

The issues:
1- Right, i have to fix that.

2- I didn't understand this one. You can use show/hide actions on any object, with added effects (fade and/or slide) if you want. Something didn't work for you?

3- This also depends on the browser. Which browser(s) did you use?

4- What exactly didn't work? Also what OS are you using?

It's things like this that keep me motivated to work on this project. So, again, thanks for the support.
Sorry I'm late.

To answer your question, yes I made the visuals and I was trying to integrate them in another vn engine. I give you the link to the RenPy version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... kZwdnI0NE0

It's mostly complete. There's no main menu yet so just click anywhere on the picture.

1 - Okay thanks.

2 - Now speaking of the show/hide objects function, I didn't manage to make it work. The characters were showing randomly and piling on top of each others. Maybe it is the way I structured the scenes or I opted for the wrong functions, because I haven't used all of them so far. I will try provide an example later of what I mean so you can see it for yourself.

By the way I added some sound effects this past week. The new file is linked below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... XgtMzMwVVE

As I previously said it's better than the show/hide function. I think the only issue I'd have to figure out is how to make sure the sound levels are the same everywhere(LOL, don't play it at full volume).

3 - I only used Google Chrome.

4 - I'm using windows 8 and sometimes the loading bar just freezes so I have try several time till the game loads completly. Again I only tried in Google Chrome.

freemind
Regular

#132 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Sorry I'm late.

To answer your question, yes I made the visuals and I was trying to integrate them in another vn engine. I give you the link to the RenPy version.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... kZwdnI0NE0

It's mostly complete. There's no main menu yet so just click anywhere on the picture.

1 - Okay thanks.

2 - Now speaking of the show/hide objects function, I didn't manage to make it work. The characters were showing randomly and piling on top of each others. Maybe it is the way I structured the scenes or I opted for the wrong functions, because I haven't used all of them so far. I will try provide an example later of what I mean so you can see it for yourself.

By the way I added some sound effects this past week. The new file is linked below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... XgtMzMwVVE

As I previously said it's better than the show/hide function. I think the only issue I'd have to figure out is how to make sure the sound levels are the same everywhere(LOL, don't play it at full volume).

3 - I only used Google Chrome.

4 - I'm using windows 8 and sometimes the loading bar just freezes so I have try several time till the game loads completly. Again I only tried in Google Chrome.
I played a bit of the Ren'Py version and it's quite similar to the other, which is cool.

2 - Maybe you didn't hide the objects beforehand? Anyway i'll wait for your example, thanks.

Regarding the sound, i thought all browsers played sound at the same level, which is defined by the operating system, but after doing a quick test i found out the browser inside Belle plays sound a bit lower than expected. Maybe that's just some misconfiguration in Belle's browser, because Chrome and Firefox seemed to play at same volume. In doubt use what's best in Chrome or Firefox.

3 - Ok, with Chrome it should work fine. Actually I tried it in my machine with Windows 7 and i didn't notice any issues.

4 - Ok, that's strange. Maybe it really hasn't finished loading and you need to wait a bit longer? Also you mentioned "in program browser", i thought you were talking about Belle's built-in browser, wasn't it?

VideaVice

#133 Post by VideaVice »

freemind wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:15 pm
I played a bit of the Ren'Py version and it's quite similar to the other, which is cool.

2 - Maybe you didn't hide the objects beforehand? Anyway i'll wait for your example, thanks.

Regarding the sound, i thought all browsers played sound at the same level, which is defined by the operating system, but after doing a quick test i found out the browser inside Belle plays sound a bit lower than expected. Maybe that's just some misconfiguration in Belle's browser, because Chrome and Firefox seemed to play at same volume. In doubt use what's best in Chrome or Firefox.

3 - Ok, with Chrome it should work fine. Actually I tried it in my machine with Windows 7 and i didn't notice any issues.

4 - Ok, that's strange. Maybe it really hasn't finished loading and you need to wait a bit longer? Also you mentioned "in program browser", i thought you were talking about Belle's built-in browser, wasn't it?

2 - There it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... XgtMzMwVVE

The sound is lower inside Belle as I tried to configure it that way. All the sound effets needed reajustment but as you later witnessed the changes don't translate in the final product. I tried in Firefox and Chrome again and even on itch.io, the ajustments are not taken into account by the game. I would have to edit each and every sound effect outside of Belle to regain control of the sound levels in this version of the program.

4 - Yes I originally meant the in-program browser and its tendency to randomly run (or not) the game while I was making it. Which means when the browser doesn't show up I have to export the game to see each little change I made. I end up with a lot of exported files and that's a little confusing when you come back to work on your project a week later. I never quite understood what was the difference to observe such a behavior. Since I've started using Belle I haven't made any update(directX, java, flash...). It's the exact same system configuration.

But at least it works, just not all the time.

And yes there's sometimes a loading issue in chrome that forces me to refresh several times to get the game started. At first I thought maybe it was too heavy with all the pictures and sounds but I think it's more when my laptop is acting crazy. Most of the time if I give it a rest and come back run the game the day after it loads normally.

freemind
Regular

#134 Post by freemind »

VideaVice wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:22 pm
freemind wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:15 pm

2 - There it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9MDE ... XgtMzMwVVE

The sound is lower inside Belle as I tried to configure it that way. All the sound effets needed reajustment but as you later witnessed the changes don't translate in the final product. I tried in Firefox and Chrome again and even on itch.io, the ajustments are not taken into account by the game. I would have to edit each and every sound effect outside of Belle to regain control of the sound levels in this version of the program.

4 - Yes I originally meant the in-program browser and its tendency to randomly run (or not) the game while I was making it. Which means when the browser doesn't show up I have to export the game to see each little change I made. I end up with a lot of exported files and that's a little confusing when you come back to work on your project a week later. I never quite understood what was the difference to observe such a behavior. Since I've started using Belle I haven't made any update(directX, java, flash...). It's the exact same system configuration.

But at least it works, just not all the time.

And yes there's sometimes a loading issue in chrome that forces me to refresh several times to get the game started. At first I thought maybe it was too heavy with all the pictures and sounds but I think it's more when my laptop is acting crazy. Most of the time if I give it a rest and come back run the game the day after it loads normally.
2- Thanks. Do you mean the Splash 1 and Splash 2 logos not fading in? If that's the case you have to either set the logo not visible or set its opacity to 0 by default. Then it will start hidden and the action will show it and fade it in.

The sound issue seems to be a problem with Belle, indeed. I have opened an issue in github so i can check that later. However i haven't had any problem like this before and i tested with a couple of different sounds. I didn't understand exactly what adjustments you made to the sound effects. However my advice is to guide yourself according to Chrome or Firefox, which is what users will most likely be using. So don't try to adjust your game to Belle's built-in browser.

4- I used to have similar issues sometimes when i was developing the 0.7 version, but i was able to fix that and it never happened again. So i'm not sure what's going on there. But you notice problems just in some days or everytime you use it?
Also what can happen is the loading bar getting stuck because it cannot load some sound file, usually because of missing codecs. However in that case it never runs until you remove the sound or install the proper codecs.
Anyway, regarding exporting the project, you can alternatively specify another browser to use by going into Project > Properties > Project > Browser. You just need to untick the "Use built-in browser" and then select the executable of the browser you want. I know it's not very convenient to use an external browser, but it's better than exporting your game everytime.

Those times you tested in Chrome were you clicking directly in the index.html?

Thanks again.

VideaVice

#135 Post by VideaVice »

2 - Okay so I'll try the fade in/out later. I was just using my .ogg and .wav files from the RenPy version but yeah maybe I should make sure all my codecs are present.

4 -
I used to have similar issues sometimes when i was developing the 0.7 version, but i was able to fix that and it never happened again. So i'm not sure what's going on there. But you notice problems just in some days or everytime you use it?
As I said pretty random.
Sometimes I start the program and it works fine.
Sometimes it doesn't work and then I tempt my luck, try it and it works for a while then stops working.
Sometimes it doesn't work at all.
So regarding this issue, it's pretty much I cross my fingers before I start working in hope to get the least weird scenario.
I will switch to an alternative browser as suggested. And yes I always just click the index.html.

Thanks.