Belle - Visual novel maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#76 Post by fleet »

freemind wrote:Hey again,
fleet wrote:I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit.

Background images still do not appear in the "Scene View' of the Editor.
Are you sure you downloaded the updated version? The updated version has two new files, QtSvg4.dll and QtXml4.dll, in the same directory where belle.exe is. Can you check?
fleet wrote: I noticed that the sound file I added did not loop, as I failed to check the 'loop' box.
I corrected my error, the replayed the story using the 'Novel - Run' command. The sound did not loop. :(
I just tested the sound and it was looping okay. I'm not sure what happened in your case, can you tell more or less what you did?
fleet wrote: I exported my project to see if my changes were there. The game would not open in Google Chrome 35, Firefox 20, or Internet Explorer 11. In each of the browsers all I got was a rolling 'loading' type bar. :(
That usually means something went wrong. If you want you can send me the project folder, so i can try to check what's wrong.
fleet wrote: The documentation said I could play my exported using the Editor. Which of the 'js' files am I supposed to open?
The file which you should open is the game_data.js. I've already put a note here to fix this.
fleet wrote: Is there a recommended drive and directory that YOU use to get the program to work? I've got the program installed on my E drive, and I tried to save my project to a folder I created on the E drive, but Belle locked up and I lost an hour of work (other than the exported project, which I can't open).
I'm so sorry to hear about your work :? . Can you send me the project exported? Maybe i can fix it. And what kind of lock up happened? Did the window freeze or it crashed?
I use Linux, by the way, so telling the directory i use is of no help. Even if i used Windows, i wouldn't be really helping anyone if i avoided the problem. Anyway any directory should be okay, i see no reason for it to break. I just tried to export a very simple game to many directories on Windows and it worked fine, so maybe the problem was with something you did in that project, not really the directory you exported to.

fleet, i'm very grateful for your feedback and i don't want you to waste more time, so feel free to not continue testing anymore. I'm going to do some intensive testing on Windows, to see if i can filter most of these small (annoying) issues and release a 0.4.1 soon (really soon).

Have a nice day.
I downloaded the version that was on the web site as soon as I read your post that said,
"It's updated. I made sure all common image formats are working. Let me know of anything else, thanks."

I looked in the contents of the folder, and the two files you mentioned were NOT there. I downloaded the zip file again, and the two missing files are now there.

Sending you the project folder for a game made with the older broken belle.exe file doesn't make any sense. I'm going to give the 'new' 0.4a release a try to see if I can find any more issues.

Very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#77 Post by fleet »

@freemind,

I was able to successfully create and export a project using the updated release 0.4a. :D

The images appeared in the "Scene View' of the Editor. :D

The Fade out action worked on the images. :D

The VN used one numeric variable which I used with a branch action (when true, go to scene4, when false, go to scene3). It worked. :D

The VN opened in Google Chrome 35, Firefox 30, and in Internet Explorer 11, and I was able to replay the VN in each browser. :D

I included one animated GIF as a background image, and it worked. :D

Issues:

The audio files played in Chrome and Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer 11. The sound files are ogg :?

The End Novel action did not work in one of the branches. The VN played a scene that followed the scene where I put the End Novel action. I was able to work around this by sending each branch to a common "The End" scene. :wink:
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular

#78 Post by freemind »

fleet wrote: I downloaded the version that was on the web site as soon as I read your post that said,
"It's updated. I made sure all common image formats are working. Let me know of anything else, thanks."

I looked in the contents of the folder, and the two files you mentioned were NOT there. I downloaded the zip file again, and the two missing files are now there.
Yes, that happens sometimes. It was some weird cache, your browser was still downloading the old zip.
fleet wrote: Sending you the project folder for a game made with the older broken belle.exe file doesn't make any sense. I'm going to give the 'new' 0.4a release a try to see if I can find any more issues.

Very respectfully,
fleet
Yes, you're right and i now realize that your VN crashed not because of the directory you saved in, but rather due to the corrupted libraries.
fleet wrote:@freemind,

I was able to successfully create and export a project using the updated release 0.4a. :D

The images appeared in the "Scene View' of the Editor. :D

The Fade out action worked on the images. :D

The VN used one numeric variable which I used with a branch action (when true, go to scene4, when false, go to scene3). It worked. :D

The VN opened in Google Chrome 35, Firefox 30, and in Internet Explorer 11, and I was able to replay the VN in each browser. :D

I included one animated GIF as a background image, and it worked. :D
Great news. Finally something working. :mrgreen:
fleet wrote: Issues:

The audio files played in Chrome and Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer 11. The sound files are ogg :?
Yes, that's expected, unfortunately. Internet Explorer doesn't play ogg, neither do some other browsers and the same can be said for mp3 or even wav (although wav is the one that works in most browsers). Of course this situation is not good and i intend to improve it, probably by making the editor also generate mp3 audio if ogg is provided or vice versa.
fleet wrote: The End Novel action did not work in one of the branches. The VN played a scene that followed the scene where I put the End Novel action. I was able to work around this by sending each branch to a common "The End" scene. :wink:
Alright, i'll have to look into it. Thanks for pointing out.

By the way, i updated the demo and while working on it i also found some minor issues that i'll be addressing for 0.4.1 aswell.
Once again, thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful as usual.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#79 Post by fleet »

I'm having some folks at another web site test my short 'proof of principle VN' on Ubuntu and MAC computers. Sound files are ogg, as previously stated.

Results so far:
Mac Safari no sound
Mac Firefox everything worked
Mac Chrome (canary) everything worked
Ubuntu 12.04 with Firefox everything worked
Ubuntu with Chromium everything worked

Acer Aspire One running Chromium (open source version of the Google CHrome OS) everything worked

Blackberry Playbook, the scene progression worked okay and the animation played but the browser displayed a message saying the sound format was not supported.

freemind
Regular

#80 Post by freemind »

Hi,

Just made a new release (0.4.1a). Nothing big, some new features but mostly small improvements and fixes.
You can download from the usual place, here: http://www.nongnu.org/belle/download.html. Right now there's only executable for Windows, but i'll add OS X tonight.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#81 Post by fleet »

Thanks for the update. I will download it today, but I won't have time to do anything with it for a while. .

freemind
Regular

#82 Post by freemind »

Hello,

Since i'm trying to keep releases small but frequent, i'm releasing the 0.4.2 alpha today. In this release i focused more on fixing and improving many things related to Characters. You can check the changelog for more details.
As usual there are binaries for Windows and Mac OS X (or the source, for everyone else), that you can download here.

Enjoy!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#83 Post by fleet »

Thanks for the update. Downloading now. :D

freemind
Regular

#84 Post by freemind »

Hi,

I'm here to announce i've released 0.5a. There have been many improvements and fixes over the previous version. You can read the full changelog here.

Also the website and repository are now hosted at GitHub, here are the links:
Repository: https://github.com/fr33mind/Belle

As usual if you find any problems feel free to contact me.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#85 Post by fleet »

freemind wrote:Hi,

I'm here to announce i've released 0.5a. There have been many improvements and fixes over the previous version. You can read the full changelog here.

Also the website and repository are now hosted at GitHub, here are the links:
Repository: https://github.com/fr33mind/Belle

As usual if you find any problems feel free to contact me.
Great! I hope to download the update and check it out tomorrow.

Kuurenai

#86 Post by Kuurenai »

This is absolutely great. From UI, to beginner friendly workspace :shock: I can't wait to give it a test drive.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#87 Post by fleet »

I've been working with a short demo project I created in a previous release of Belle.
Using Belle 0.5, I can't export to a new folder (the folder name appears in black lettering inside belle, but doesn't appear when I look for it with Windows explorer (Windows 7, 64 bit). Also, the stop sound function isn't working in Belle 0.5 and I can't get the branching function to work now.
:cry:

freemind
Regular

#88 Post by freemind »

fleet wrote:I've been working with a short demo project I created in a previous release of Belle.
Using Belle 0.5, I can't export to a new folder (the folder name appears in black lettering inside belle, but doesn't appear when I look for it with Windows explorer (Windows 7, 64 bit). Also, the stop sound function isn't working in Belle 0.5 and I can't get the branching function to work now.
Hey,

The folder thing is really strange, can you send me a screenshot?
The other issues i've became aware recently but i've already fixed them. I'll release Belle 0.5.1 in the next days.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#89 Post by fleet »

freemind wrote:
fleet wrote:I've been working with a short demo project I created in a previous release of Belle.
Hey,

The folder thing is really strange, can you send me a screenshot?
The other issues i've became aware recently but i've already fixed them. I'll release Belle 0.5.1 in the next days.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble.
Here's the screenshot.
folder.jpg

freemind
Regular

#90 Post by freemind »

Hi,

I tested in Windows 7 64-bit but i couldn't reproduce those problems with the export. Can you give me more details of the steps you made? What error does it give you when you try to export? Can you save the project?

Thanks.