Belle - Visual novel maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#91 Post by fleet » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Steps I used: Using Belle 0.5 I called up a project created in an older version of Belle.
I received a message that said "The project file you are opening is old and may not load correctly."
I clicked on Okay and the project opened.
I then clicked on Export project.
I created a new folder in the Belle 0.5 directory and named it folder. I highlighted it and selected the folder named folder.
The folder appears when I open project in Belle, but does not show up when I look for it using Windows Explorer.

I'll wait until the next release of Belle before doing any more work.
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#92 Post by freemind » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, it took more time than i expected, but i'm finally releasing 0.6a version. This is mostly a bugfix release. You can read the full changelog here.
The downloads page is as usual here.

@fleet
About your issue with the export i tried in Windows 7 64-bit and also on Windows 8 64-bit but I couldn't replicate your problem. Would you mind trying again with the new version? Thanks.

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#93 Post by fleet » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:21 pm

freemind wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the delay, it took more time than i expected, but i'm finally releasing 0.6a version. This is mostly a bugfix release. You can read the full changelog here.
The downloads page is as usual here.

@fleet
About your issue with the export i tried in Windows 7 64-bit and also on Windows 8 64-bit but I couldn't replicate your problem. Would you mind trying again with the new version? Thanks.
I'll download the new version now and give it a try later this week. It might be a few days before I can post results.
Very respectfully,
fleet


EDIT: I downloaded Belle and made a short project. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I discovered I had to use Belle's default setting to save the project so I could reopen it to work on it. My current problem is I can't seem to export my project. I created a folder on my E-drive in the directory that contains Belle-06, but when I tell Belle to export the project to that folder, nothing happens and the folder is empty when I look in it in Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#94 Post by freemind » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:24 pm

fleet wrote: I'll download the new version now and give it a try later this week. It might be a few days before I can post results.
Very respectfully,
fleet


EDIT: I downloaded Belle and made a short project. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I discovered I had to use Belle's default setting to save the project so I could reopen it to work on it. My current problem is I can't seem to export my project. I created a folder on my E-drive in the directory that contains Belle-06, but when I tell Belle to export the project to that folder, nothing happens and the folder is empty when I look in it in Windows Explorer. Any suggestions?
Hi fleet,

Thanks again for your time and patience. I didn't understand your first problem, you had to use default setting to save, what do you mean?
In the menubar go to Novel > Properties > Project and tell me what you have on "Engine Directory".

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#95 Post by fleet » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:13 pm

freemind wrote:
Hi fleet,

Thanks again for your time and patience. I didn't understand your first problem, you had to use default setting to save, what do you mean?
In the menubar go to Novel > Properties > Project and tell me what you have on "Engine Directory".
Thanks for responding.
Regarding my first problem, by default settings, I mean I was unsuccessful in creating a folder to save my project. I let the computer make the determination, and it saved the project as C:\users\paul\default\default\default\game_data.js As such, the 'first' problem is not longer a problem, since I can find my project.

Regarding what I have when I look in menubar> Novel> Properties> Project, the engine directory is 'engine' . Is that something I'm supposed to change before exporting?

Very respectfully,
fleet
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#96 Post by freemind » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:26 pm

fleet wrote: Thanks for responding.
Regarding my first problem, by default settings, I mean I was unsuccessful in creating a folder to save my project. I let the computer make the determination, and it saved the project as C:\users\paul\default\default\default\game_data.js As such, the 'first' problem is not longer a problem, since I can find my project.

Regarding what I have when I look in menubar> Novel> Properties> Project, the engine directory is 'engine' . Is that something I'm supposed to change before exporting?

Very respectfully,
fleet
You were unsuccessful in creating a folder through Belle?
The way it works is when you click on Save Project it will open a dialog if you haven't saved before. That dialog lets you choose the name of your project and the directory where it will be saved.

No, having "engine" is correct, you shouldn't change.

So you can save but not export? What about running your project?

Thanks again.

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#97 Post by fleet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:20 pm

freemind wrote: You were unsuccessful in creating a folder through Belle?
That is correct, Belle won't let me create a folder for exporting my project, or for saving it.
freemind wrote:The way it works is when you click on Save Project it will open a dialog if you haven't saved before. That dialog lets you choose the name of your project and the directory where it will be saved.
I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work as you described. As I said before, I'm not worried about saving the project. Belle won't let me EXPORT it.
freemind wrote:No, having "engine" is correct, you shouldn't change.
Okay, I won't change that.
freemind wrote:So you can save but not export?
That is correct.
freemind wrote:What about running your project?

I can run the project using the run button, and also using the Menubar > Novel > Run commands.


You might want to consider installing version six on a machine other than the one you are using to build the tool, and see if you can create and export a project.

Is anybody else testing this, and if so, are they having the same problems?

Very respectfully,
fleet
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#98 Post by fleet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:53 pm

I tried adding a menu to my game, with the buttons assigning values to a variable, then using the Branch command to change scenes based on the value of the variable. I could not get it to work.

When I played the VN using the Run function, and pressed the menu button to assign a value , my VN would not advance to the next scene, even though I had that command listed "When mouse released"

I tried using buttons, and then tried using a menu to assign values to a variable, but neither worked.

I did notice I had to clear the browser history each time I made a change to get changes to appear when I ran the Run command.

This is frustrating. I'll wait until Version 7 to do any more testing.
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

freemind
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#99 Post by freemind » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm

fleet wrote:That is correct, Belle won't let me create a folder for exporting my project, or for saving it.
That's very strange. I uploaded a video here, where i create a folder and export the game. You should be able to do the same.
fleet wrote: I'm sorry to say that it doesn't work as you described. As I said before, I'm not worried about saving the project. Belle won't let me EXPORT it.
I understand that, but if that's not working as i expect there's something wrong that needs to be checked. It may even be connected to the export problem.
fleet wrote:
freemind wrote:So you can save but not export?
That is correct.
freemind wrote:What about running your project?
I can run the project using the run button, and also using the Menubar > Novel > Run commands.
Again strange, since the functionality is basically the same. Internally the run button uses the same code that is used for export, so the problem should happen on both at least, not only in export.
fleet wrote: You might want to consider installing version six on a machine other than the one you are using to build the tool, and see if you can create and export a project.
I know, as i said before i tested this on Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit. The latter is not used for developing or building anything.
fleet wrote:I tried adding a menu to my game, with the buttons assigning values to a variable, then using the Branch command to change scenes based on the value of the variable. I could not get it to work.

When I played the VN using the Run function, and pressed the menu button to assign a value , my VN would not advance to the next scene, even though I had that command listed "When mouse released"

I tried using buttons, and then tried using a menu to assign values to a variable, but neither worked.
I tested this and in fact i found a problem with the Branch action, that's why neither the Button nor the Menu worked. In those tests i was also able to find some other minor issues. So thank you for that. I created a very simple test game to make sure it was working, you can download here.
You can fix your current version by just copying actions.js, views.js and game_model.js files from that zip to to Belle's "engine" directory, if you want.
fleet wrote:I did notice I had to clear the browser history each time I made a change to get changes to appear when I ran the Run command.
Browser cache sometimes can be annoying, but i never had to clear browser history to make a game work, even if i use the run command many times. Instead of clearing browser history you should try refreshing the page instead.
fleet wrote:This is frustrating. I'll wait until Version 7 to do any more testing.
I understand, i'm sorry, that's why i won't be bothering you (or anyone else) anymore. Feel free to keep comenting here and testing if you want, but i'm done. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

Goodbye.

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#100 Post by fleet » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:25 pm

Freemind,
I downloaded the test game per your suggestion. I copied all files from my old Belle 06a folder into a new folder (Belle 06b). Then copied the three files (actions.js, views.js and game_model.js) from your test game into the 'engine' folder of Belle06b.
My visual novel then ran correctly (variables and branch worked) using the internal Run methods. :D

I downloaded your video file and followed the steps shown. The exported game folder appeared to have been created, but when I looked for it using Windows Explorer it was not there. :|

I should point out that I have Belle installed on my E drive (a separate physical hard drive) on my computer.

I did a 'Search' of my entire computer, and found the exported game folder on my C drive in a directory called VTRoot. :D
The full path is
C:\VTRoot\HarddiskVolume5\belle-06\Belle_0.6b_win\exportedgame.

Since variables and branches seem to be working, and I can now find my exported game, I can continue testing. :wink:

Very respectfully,
fleet
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

User avatar
fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1423
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:25 pm
Deviantart: fleetp
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#101 Post by fleet » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Hmm. I can get one animated GIF file into the VN, but when I tried to add a second animated GIF, the Run command hung up during the loading act at 94%. Using a different second GIF file didn't work, either.
The VN exported, but the exported game also hung up while loading. Refreshing the browser, and clearing browser history did not help. :?

Sorry for the double post. :(
All of my VNs are at http://wolflore.net
Some are at http://www.visualnovelty.com.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

User avatar
Ash The Ryousei
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:04 am
Projects: Ningyo, Kaoru
Soundcloud: Akarasu
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#102 Post by Ash The Ryousei » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 am

I think this might be right for me since I'm not good at coding and can't afford TyranoBuilder

Kaizer01
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 pm
Projects: Spellbound Enigma
Organization: Laevatein² Games
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#103 Post by Kaizer01 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Is this on par with Novelty yet? (In terms of functions and stability, I mean.)

User avatar
firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Skype: bigattck firecat
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#104 Post by firecat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Kaizer01 wrote:Is this on par with Novelty yet? (In terms of functions and stability, I mean.)
It was with past version but now its broken. The textbox syndication is always default even if unchecked. Preview is broken on certain browsers. The event system is also broken with a few working events. Game exports works fine, however no clear explanation on what to do with it (cant play it).
Image


Image


special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

freemind
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:53 am
Contact:

Re: Belle - Visual novel maker

#105 Post by freemind » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:05 pm

firecat wrote:
Kaizer01 wrote:Is this on par with Novelty yet? (In terms of functions and stability, I mean.)
It was with past version but now its broken. The textbox syndication is always default even if unchecked. Preview is broken on certain browsers. The event system is also broken with a few working events. Game exports works fine, however no clear explanation on what to do with it (cant play it).
Hello,
What do you mean now it's broken? Are you using the 0.6.1a?
Regarding your specific issues:
1. Textbox syndication? I don't understand.
2. Preview is broken in some browsers? Which browsers? Some browsers don't support HTML5, so that could be the case.
3. The event system is broken? What events don't work?
4. Game exports to a folder that includes all files needed to run your game. Clicking the index.html should open the game in your default browser (or right-click "Open With" or something, to open with other browser). Alternatively you can put that folder in dropbox, for example, so you can distribute your game online. For more information check Belle's FAQ: http://fr33mind.github.io/Belle/support.html

Hope that helps.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users