kirikiri VN engine

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
agepoyo

kirikiri VN engine

#1 Post by agepoyo »

Hello, everyone.

It seems that Ren'Py is very popular engine in English VN community.
On the other hand, kirikiri(or NScripter) is dominant in Japan, and Ren'Py is less famous.
Most of Doujin game(something like Indie game) are released using such tools.

kirikiri is open source(Modified BSD License, Android/Windows) like Ren'Py.

kirikiri uses markup scheme like HTML, which feature is based on KAG system.
All the feature is programmable using its own TJS(something like JavaScript) scripting language.
Its system is just like Emacs text editor, which is fully extensible using Emacs Lisp language:

[KAG scenario] - written in markup scheme like HTML
|
[KAG system] - written in TJS(included in kirikir distribution, and you can modify it if needed)
|
[kirikiri base system] - written in C++(distributed in binary or souce code)

I think, Ren'Py and kirikiri have uniqueness and each has valuable aspects on making VN.
I would like everyone to know about kirikiri functionality, and lead to improvement of Ren'Py.

So my question is:

- Is there anyone who is interested in, using or translating kirikiri?
- Does anyone want kirikiri documentation to be translated to English?
- If you know about kirikiri, then how do you think about its scheme, good or bad?

kirikiri documentation:
[KAG System reference]
https://krkrz.github.io/krkr2doc/kag3do ... index.html
[TJS2 reference]
https://krkrz.github.io/krkr2doc/tjs2do ... index.html
[kirikiri2 reference]
https://krkrz.github.io/krkr2doc/kr2doc ... index.html

Regards.

-----
EDIT:
Machine translation using deep learning AI seems to dramatically improve the quality of Japanese-English translation.
So I deleted my old translation site and updated links to relevants sites.

Google translate fails to translate "kirikiri" into "kiriyoshi", "yoshirisato", "kirisato", "kiriyoshi ri" something like that.
Even with such inconvenience, Google translate performs fairly good jobs and is able to transform entire web pages.

W.Dee, original author of kirikiri(kirikiri2), closed his site(http://kikyou.info/tvp/) in 2017.
krkrz, successor of kirikiri2, is now developed at https://github.com/krkrz/krkrz and portal site of krkrz is https://krkrz.github.io/
Last edited by agepoyo on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: kirikiri VN engine

#2 Post by fleet »

I don't understand Japanese, so I can't help, but I do have a question.
Does kirikiri require writing lines of code like Ren'py, or does it use a graphic interface like Novelty and Belle?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

100puro
Regular
Projects: Driftwood, FatexHeart

#3 Post by 100puro »

fleet wrote:I don't understand Japanese, so I can't help, but I do have a question.
Does kirikiri require writing lines of code like Ren'py, or does it use a graphic interface like Novelty and Belle?
from what I gather on the sites TS linked, kirikiri uses lines of code you write yourself like Ren'py

----
Also I would be interested in kirikiri though I wonder what differences it has from Ren'py. Not knowing fluent Japanese is a big hurdle though and I probably won't be able to help much in translating :T

On the another, are there any Japanese people interested in Ren'py? This is particularly interesting because recent Ren'py updates have increased functionality with Japanese translations and conversion :D

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#4 Post by fioricca »

I read somewhere that Kirikiri is compatible with the iOS, is this true? I'd love to port to tablets and other handheld devices, and as I have an iPad myself I'd love to make games for that platform. I would definitely be interested in English documentation of the Kirikiri engine! It would be even better if you had a tutorial game like Ren'py does too.

EDIT; AH okay I found the article -- looks like the iOS/Android port is being handled by a different program called Tyrano Script...?

Endorphin
Veteran

#5 Post by Endorphin »

I always wanted to test it, but it confused me so far, so I stayed with Ren'Py. =o
If somebody would translate it, I'd definitely give it a try!

agepoyo

#6 Post by agepoyo »

fleet wrote:Does kirikiri require writing lines of code like Ren'py, or does it use a graphic interface like Novelty and Belle?
What 100puro says is right.
kirikiri interprets lines of code you write, its like Ren'py.
And it does not offer graphic interface for accelerating novel game development.
Manually writing scripts with text editors, not visual development.
100puro wrote:On the another, are there any Japanese people interested in Ren'py? This is particularly interesting because recent Ren'py updates have increased functionality with Japanese translations and conversion
The situation around kirikiri in Japan is just like Ren'py in the world.
Most Japanese use kirikiri or NScripter, and few use Ren'py.
This is mainly because they don't feel inconvenience about such tools, and Ren'py infomation in Japanese language is far less.
As a consequence they hardly feel benefit of switching from comfortable tools to Ren'py they are not used to.
fioricca wrote:I read somewhere that Kirikiri is compatible with the iOS, is this true?
Original kirikiri(kirikiri2) runs on Windows only.
But kirikir Z project(krkrz), which aims to kirikiri running on Android/Windows, is now going on: https://github.com/krkrz/krkrz
fioricca wrote:EDIT; AH okay I found the article -- looks like the iOS/Android port is being handled by a different program called Tyrano Script...?
Oh, I don't know about Tyrano Script. It's great! Thank you fioricca for telling me :D
I don't know iOS port of kirikiri. Original kirikiri's souce code is fairly depend on Windows.
kirikiri3 was willing to multi platform implementation, but it is not active now.
There is also kirikiri Java, but I don't know how active it is...
Endorphin wrote:If somebody would translate it, I'd definitely give it a try!
OK... There seems some people who are interested in kirikiri :)
Last edited by agepoyo on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#7 Post by fioricca »

That's great news! I will be awaiting this translation eagerly!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

This sounds interesting, I'm just wondering if kirikiri has any significant advantages over Ren'py that would merit a translation.

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#9 Post by Kinjo »

Unlike most people here, I prefer Nscripter over Renpy. I looked into kirikiri a few months ago and it felt very much like Nscripter. I used Google Translate along with the links you posted and made a decent "Hello World" program, but I'm sure a good English translation would help a lot more. Even if I still prefer Nscripter, it would be fun to try kirikiri out some more. Just to see what I could do with it.

agepoyo

#10 Post by agepoyo »

Kinjo wrote:Unlike most people here, I prefer Nscripter over Renpy.
NScripter is also popular in Japan. It is seems easy even for amateur writer.
It has its limits, however, when they try to implement complicated feature, such as sophisticated visual effect or extending functionality.
kirikiri is fully extensible and enable such things by modifying VN engine itself, but there's some hurdle.

Thanks.
Last edited by agepoyo on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#11 Post by chocoberrie »

It's great to see translated documentation for this engine, thank you!

I came across a translation group that was working on producing an English version of KiriKiri, but it seems that translation efforts have stopped. (See http://www.mysteryparfait.com/2011/01/2 ... velopment/)

Do you think you will be working on this as well, or just the documentation?

kuri_chii
Regular
Completed: RHWIMY beta 1.0
Projects: Right here where I met you, Love Snatch, Monarchy High
Organization: VND - AWA
IRC Nick: Kuri
Deviantart: franzzzz002

#12 Post by kuri_chii »

RenPy is good for me...its goin to adjust for me heheh :P
The best way showing your feelings is to write Novel Stories :3
DeviantArt | Monarchy High | RHWIMY | Love Snatch

i1abnrk
Regular
Projects: Critter Corral, Haremu Kikkemu Mo
IRC Nick: i1abnrk
Deviantart: i1abnrk
Github: i1abnrk

#13 Post by i1abnrk »

This looks like a good way for me to learn more Japanese. I would like to help a little with translation. I only know a little Japanese but with online tools I am okay. As a native English speaker I could do proofreading. Also I am experienced with programming so I know the correct terms for certain things. I can help a little here and there.

Bulopu

#14 Post by Bulopu »

I tried kirikiri and I think I already saw a VN using the kirikiri engine where you can put a window on top of the VN without this one be minimalized.
So, I tried kirikiri but when I ALT+TAB, the VN was minimized when switching.

@agepoyo, do you know how to change this setting to allow other windows to be on top of the window of my VN made by kirikiri?

Edit: I know how to handle the script but when it comes to create a main menu, I don't know how to do this, what documentation I need to refer myself. It took me a couple of hours to begin with Ren'py but if you need to learn... TJS? and mess up with the files of the system folder or create the menu from scratch... it will be kind of complicated.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#15 Post by trooper6 »

I'm a Mac User, so since kirikiri is Windows only, I won't be using it.

I imagine the Linux users would feel the same way.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978