VN assets for Unity3d

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
AlfieMachica123
Regular

Re: VN assets for Unity3d

#16 Post by AlfieMachica123 »

,\m/ helped a lot ^^

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#17 Post by Taleweaver »

This is a great topic for our new Other VN Engines forum.

Moving.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#18 Post by netravelr »

Since there's a new post here and it hasn't been updated in awhile I figure I'll post an update towards VN assets in Unity because right now there is a sale going on in the asset store. One of the things on sale may be useful for VNs in Unity. It's called UTAGE, standing for the Unity Text Adventure Game Engine.

The coolest thing about it is that it looks like you can create your scripts in Excel and then it'll make the VN for you. I didn't get it before because it was so expensive, but right now it's 50% off, so I took the plunge. However, with work being so hectic I haven't gotten a chance to work with it yet, but felt I should share because of the limited time and stuff.

More info here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/15905
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

MoonStar
Regular
Projects: Yggdrasil

#19 Post by MoonStar »

this is what im using at this moment and i find very useful it works same as kirikiri and its wyswyg(what you see is what you get) needs little to no programing knowledge
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9270
the only flaw of this software is that its japanese source hence why its so close to kirikiri tho while the software is in english and the videos read me tutorial is also in english the biggest issue of this software is the lacking of documentation (in english anyway) your only presented with a few basic steps and while thats cool and alright if you want to go abit more complex your on your own

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey

#20 Post by netravelr »

MoonStar wrote:this is what im using at this moment and i find very useful it works same as kirikiri and its wyswyg(what you see is what you get) needs little to no programing knowledge
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9270
the only flaw of this software is that its japanese source hence why its so close to kirikiri tho while the software is in english and the videos read me tutorial is also in english the biggest issue of this software is the lacking of documentation (in english anyway) your only presented with a few basic steps and while thats cool and alright if you want to go abit more complex your on your own
Yeah I bought it myself, but I guess I'm just to into doing things the RenPy way, it broke on me when I tried to use it the first time a few days after it came out and then didn't check it out after, it may be a lot better now.

Speaking of doing VNs in Unity, there's a little experiment that I've been working on (only for two days mind you). I've been working on a RenPy to Unity converter that should make it easy for me to just drop the .rpy file and assets into my project and have it read it for me. I took the The Question demo script/assets and the results of which can be seen here. It still has some kinks to work out because I haven't added in some verbs, but it's actually reading the .rpy file at runtime enabling me to add new content on the fly. I'm not going to be writing a python interpretor, but for conversations and the like I think this will work nicely.

anticulturist

#21 Post by anticulturist »

I am curious how is Utage working for you? Is there any chance that you can compare it with the other Unity plugins available? Regarding your work on Culina, I read somewhere it started as a UTK project, is that true?
It is interesting for me that UTK and Cryengine have higher quality rendering output than Unity, but the buzz from their respective communities tell me that complex text interaction is somehow undeveloped.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by netravelr »

anticulturist wrote:I am curious how is Utage working for you? Is there any chance that you can compare it with the other Unity plugins available? Regarding your work on Culina, I read somewhere it started as a UTK project, is that true?
It is interesting for me that UTK and Cryengine have higher quality rendering output than Unity, but the buzz from their respective communities tell me that complex text interaction is somehow undeveloped.
I'm actually not using Utage for Culina. I started off with a personal engine that converted RenPy to Unity, but have since changed to using Fungus (http://fungusgames.com) as a base from which I've added my own code, functionality, and gameplay stuff onto.

Culina started as a Ren'Py project and never was in UDK; though I am quite experience in both Unreal and Unity, but I'd say for someone creating just a VN or starting out to stick to Ren'Py as many of the reasons I switched to Unity have now been solved or will be sooner or later (aside from being on consoles).

If you have a 3D art team, Unreal is a cool route to take, but if you're a single dev and/or doing 2D games, I'd probably not. Hope this helps!

anticulturist

#23 Post by anticulturist »

Thanks for the answer. Congratulations for Culina!

Logic Nerd

#24 Post by Logic Nerd »

I develop state of the art content in Unity. Recently developed my own custom VN engine. Contact me if interested in working on a project :)

Xand
Regular

#25 Post by Xand »

Hello! Anyone tried this one? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36826 I know this cost a bit but looks like it is copy paste of Tyranobuilder. I like Tyran because its very simple and easy to use. Now I thinking if I should buy this one to transfer game to unity. But not sure yet if this asset is fine.

ocimpean

#26 Post by ocimpean »

Visual Novel Engine/2D Cutscene Engine is getting good ratings and it is easy to use. $15.
www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54342

Ink - Unity Integration, free.
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/60055

ocimpean

#27 Post by ocimpean »

It seems Vinoma for Unity 3d is free for a limited time. I download it and will try when time allows.