Cross platform C++ engine (with Cocos2DX as graphics engine)

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Shiz
Projects: Twofold
Organization: Salty Salty Studios

Re: Cross platform C++ engine (with Cocos2DX as graphics eng

#16 Post by Shiz »

bunny.jessican wrote:The format of Ren'py is a natural script? Ok, I'm writing that down.
I never even implied as much. It is, however, an infinite times more natural than your XML-based format.
bunny.jessican wrote:The whole development should be heading towards creating visual tools which would parse the VN scripts. I'd appreciate some visual editors, not just editors, but software with which I could do more than just edit text.
A custom script format doesn't prevent this. Hell, you can even have your script format compile to XML if it bothers you that much, and then process it with these tools. XML is just a terrible for choice for an end-user script language.
bunny.jessican wrote:If someone would provide these for me for the format of Ren'py than that would be awesome. I don't want to just have an editor with syntax highlighting to pop up.
https://bitbucket.org/theshad0w/renpedit
bunny.jessican wrote:That's the reason for a custom XML format. I want to use the tools that are already out there.
It's like you're not even reading what I wrote above, and in this reply again.
bunny.jessican wrote:You again and again write that XML is not readable. It isn't. Once you load it or start working with it in one of the editors out there, some that are a bit better than the 'XML' part gets hidden.
So you're using XML to be able to avoid XML. Yay?
bunny.jessican wrote:Working around 'labels' and 'e:'s and such is more insane. That's not natural :)
The Ren'Py example script's choice to use 'e' as a name for a character is not particularly a good one. That said, there is nothing not natural about referring to a character by their name. Also, I never said Ren'Pyscript was a monumental achievement of natural script writing.

For the rest of your example, if you're going to criticize a script format at least know what its features are. A label in Ren'Pyscript doesn't refer to a UI label.

Code: Select all

Python 2.7.3rc2 (default, Apr 22 2012, 22:30:17)
>>> 'Code' > 'Drama'
False