Cloudnovel - The Easiest and Most Powerful Visual Novel Maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

Re: Cloudnovel - Create, publish, and play online visual nov

#31 Post by Sonya »

Great news guys, so officially you can make online AND offline visual novels now with CloudNovel. Check out my latest visual novel (available online and downloadable): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42874

Sonya
Veteran

#32 Post by Sonya »

holdinglines
Projects: Against the OZ

#33 Post by holdinglines »

This looks super interesting! Bless you for this
Last edited by holdinglines on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#34 Post by LizardRobot »

Sonya wrote:[Hey there, if I can ask what are you interested in having in terms of CloudNovel handling the capabilities of your visual novel? If you can tell me now the faster I can work on it to add it to our website!
You added downloadability! That was a crucial addition. You've also already got easy scaling, which is important. I'm doing the game in 1080x1920 resolution, but I'm a bit worried with the advent of retina displays and similar screen dpi, will 1080 be enough? I'm on a Surface Studio myself, so I'm working with 4500x3000 resolution, and my own game only occupies a portion of my screen... The fact that Cloudnovel scales so easily is definitely a selling point.

One thing I have to have as a player is the ability to make the text appear instantly without having to wait. The horizontal text reveal is so slow, I hate having to click constantly just to finish reading a sentence. At the moment this is the biggest barrier to me wanting to play around in Cloudnovel. I know this sounds like such a minor thing, but the sheer tedium of waiting for text to finish appearing would drive me mad when testing a game and looking for any typos. It makes games on Cloudnovel currently borderline unplayable for me.

The main thing I'm hoping to implement in Shanty is the ability to change the sprite set for a character based on the player's choices of options. So, for example, you go into game settings and pick what hat you want to wear. The game then automatically switches the sprite set, maybe by calling a variable -- so MC## changes to MC01 or MC02 depending on the player's hat choice. Alternately, just setting it up in a character creation type interaction would work, too. I know Cloudnovel has character creators in the resource area, but those are thing you have to manually output and upload, yes? There's no way to integrate that type of thing natively into a game yet, offering character creation as part of gameplay? Making outfit changes on the fly?

Finally, I'm thinking of doing Live2d down the line. I'm not sure if I want to try and learn that myself or outsource it, if I even want to try it. I'm on the fence.

But these are the sorts of things I'm considering w/r/t engine choice.

Sonya
Veteran

Re: Cloudnovel - The Easiest and Most Powerful Visual Novel Maker

#35 Post by Sonya »

Hey guys wow it's been so long since I posted here, but yeah CloudNovel had a makeover, we've moved servers to a new technology (the same one that google and twitter uses)

I don't really have much of an update other than everything is the same a normal, and no there is no paywall etc, everything is still free. Paying is optional. :mrgreen:

Sonya
Veteran

#36 Post by Sonya »

Woah okay wow, it's been 3.5 years since we've posted on lemmasoft but wow boy have we come a long way.

We now support videos in your visual novels, as well as customizable settings/option screen and customizable save slots in your save/load screen.

I will be writing a big blog post on the progress on CloudNovel, but I think now that we have customizable save slots AND settings screens, I'm happy that the CloudNovel is now a wholesome visual novel engine :D

I know some of my users have been posting in WIPs in lemmasoft are having loading issues, basically if you play it online and use big images this will affect your loading speed, but all visual novels can be downloaded (we now support EVERY music file type AND video) and there are NO loading problems in the offline downloadable visual novels. Your visual novel will load instantly offline because you already downloaded all the files to your computer.

Our next step is making the mobile app, so you can download the official cloudnovel app, make in game purchases within our own app instead of your mobile safari or google chrome web browser (or whatever mobile internet browser you use) and keep track of all your cloudnovel games in your personalized library of visual novel games.

Thanks for reading!

Holland
Regular
Projects: Lycoris: Their Journies [WIP], With or Without You [NaNo19]

#37 Post by Holland »

That email had me do a double-take before I realized what date it is...
I love that you guys even changed the logo on the actual site to match haha
Great job. Nowhere is safe on the internet today.

Sonya
Veteran

#38 Post by Sonya »

Holland wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm That email had me do a double-take before I realized what date it is...
I love that you guys even changed the logo on the actual site to match haha
Great job. Nowhere is safe on the internet today.
Lmao, glad you enjoyed the prank XD

Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

#39 Post by Neeka »

Hello everyone, Neeka from Ostrich Burger Productions here! I wanted to leave a review of the site I use to make all of my games, Cloudnovel.

I think it's worth noting that the mods that work on and develop the site are all unpaid. There have been many new features added lately (with more to come!), which are all very exciting.

About: Cloudnovel is a free, online VN engine that requires no coding/programming. You can easily create a game using the Animation and Commands panel, which is as simple as clicking a button. (Shown in the first page of this thread).

Misconceptions:

-Codeless means less capable
-Have to pay
-Games made with the site are purely online

Those are all not true!

In turns of 'gamification' you can create click-n-point turn based battles, hidden object games, mini games such as cooking and gardening, and many more. Cloudnovel has a Youtube channel with tutorials, which I highly recommend!

You don't have to pay anything at all! The site does use points, which you can earn through contests and events.

While the engine is online, you can download your game for offline play.

New Features:

Cross Origin is a new feature that allows blur/color filters and special effects that you can apply to assets in the scene, such as characters, backgrounds, etc. Want to show a flashback? Try colorizing the scene Sepia.

There's a recruitment system, so now you can create a team for projects. Ex: A writer looking for artists.

You can also put videos into your game, so if you wanted to have a dramatic opening video it's possible. (I used several short videos in my game, Our Mountain, for transitions)

Updated forums for contests, game jams, newsletters, or even general topics.

Want to see the features of the site in action?

I suggest checking out Fluffland, a VN that utilizes many of the features Cloudnovel has to offer.

You can play the demo here: https://cloudnovel.net/fluffness/novel/ ... a-download

Also I'm not paid or receive anything for making this post; I'm just a user of the engine and wholeheartedly love it! Also the community is kind and helpful, so if you ever need guidance there are many willing to help you out.

Questions? Feel free to PM me or join the engine's Discord.

Sonya
Veteran

#40 Post by Sonya »

Hey there, I haven't posted on lemmasoft in forever, but we recently got in game purchases/transactions done. You can now create in game purchases and charge people money to buy your in game currency, or whatever you design/come up with in your game!

Some basic ideas is an in game currency, character route unlocking for XXX points, season pass or unlock chapter pass......the number of ideas for in game purchases are infinite!

Once we have crypto currency, you will be able to exchange all the cloudnovel points you earned into real money into your paypal account.

Thanks for reading!

Sonya
Veteran

#41 Post by Sonya »

ImageImage
Great news everyone, we have finished setting up the feature where you will be able to withdraw your points you earned on CloudNovel into your paypal account. That means, yes, the points you earned through your in game purchases through your visual novel game can now be withdrawn as real money into your paypal account. 

Read the full announcement on the CloudNovel forums here: https://cloudnovel.net/forum/announceme ... y-1st-2020