Renpy port for WIndows Phone and RT

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Borius

Renpy port for WIndows Phone and RT

#1 Post by Borius »

So, I'm not sure if this has already been done, but whatever.

I am making an interpreter of RenPy games for Windows Runtime, that is Windows Phone and RT. The goal is, of course, not to support all RenPy features, there are too many of them. Yet, to try and make run as much games as possible without modifiying them.
I am not a professional programmer, so this might not go fast or too well, but, anyways. The engine does not replicate RenPy code and methods, neither the interfaces.

The idea for this interpreter unlike RenPy's is not to compile separate games to executables, but rather to make a tool to open all (not-encoded not-archived) games. I.e. you choose the usual "game" folder in an existing game and run it.

The source code for first build is already available, it can run simple games like "the question" (not nvl version) without music though. I might release it later to Windows Store once it reaches some stable version. Unfortunately, I don't know any way to distribute Windows 8 packages not via store.

SO, tl;dr: if you are interested in developing or testing, please join me at https://sharpyvn.codeplex.com/! Any c# developers welcome, I also need help of designers, cause I have no idea how xaml works and need a mascot!
Thank you for your time, screens from my Lumia and Windows tablet are attached!
Attachments
wp_ss_20140913_0003[1].png
wp_ss_20140913_0001[1].png
Безымянный.png

2dt
Regular

Re: Renpy port for WIndows Phone and RT

#2 Post by 2dt »

As a Windows Phone enthusiast myself (just got Lumia 1520.3) let me just say I appreciate the work you're doing. :)

How are you handling the animation? Purely through manipulating XAML? Or through DirectX?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

This isn't really a Ren'Py port - I don't think you're even planning on trying to implement a lot of Ren'Py's functionality. So it's probably best to just call it what it is - SharpVN.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Borius

#4 Post by Borius »

2dt wrote:How are you handling the animation? Purely through manipulating XAML? Or through DirectX?
So far I'm not, but I'll start with xaml means, should it be not enough, will think of other ways.
PyTom wrote:This isn't really a Ren'Py port - I don't think you're even planning on trying to implement a lot of Ren'Py's functionality. So it's probably best to just call it what it is - SharpVN.
Yep, you're right. The whole concept is kinda different, but I want the script language to remain completely the same and game files not to require any modifications. Maybe just converting ogg, can't find a way for .net to play ogg. Up to you to rename the topic :)

Borius

#5 Post by Borius »

Ok guys, test version is available on Windows Phone market. It is just to try some existing functionality and look for bugs.

If anyone is interested, you can get it here:
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=45e ... d7a25c4dc3

So far, "the question" is the only thing included, hope PyTom doesn't mind.

Borius

#6 Post by Borius »

Bump.
Minor update with another demo novel added.
I did not get author's permission, yet, I hope, he doesn't mind.

Anyways, it seems win10 is coming to windows phone and will probably bring original RenPy there is one form or another, we'll see.