Fungus (open source IF / VN program)

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: Fungus (open source IF / VN program)

#16 Post by netravelr »

SundownKid wrote:It looks interesting, but I consider myself a "non programmer" and this whole visual scripting thing ironically looks way more complicated than Ren'py script. Do you really have to enter each line of dialogue in a separate container or am I just missing something?
Yes, you'll need to create a container for each statement. I think it's nicer for people who are writing scripts while they are building a game since they just add to it while it's being written. For completed scripts it can be a hassle to get moved over. (that's what's most of the time spent on Culina is... so much copy/pasting and making slight changes) If I ever do another project like this, I'll probably create a RenPy to Fungus converter, but life is too busy right now. :-P

I think it would work well for you though, since you are a writer yourself.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

vnplayer
Projects: in progress...

#17 Post by vnplayer »

SundownKid wrote:It looks interesting, but I consider myself a "non programmer" and this whole visual scripting thing ironically looks way more complicated than Ren'py script. Do you really have to enter each line of dialogue in a separate container or am I just missing something?
Try Adobe Indesigner there is possible create Flash

SeventhStranger
Regular

#18 Post by SeventhStranger »

I went through all the official Fungus tutorials and I must say, I am really liking it so far! It's very easy to understand and the built in flowchart is really helpful to visualize all my branching paths and be able to quickly go in add change things for a certain path without having to dig through code to find it.

Of course until they're able to implement a save/load feature I am a bit stuck. I did try to do some research about how to do saving and loading outside of Fungus, but it was all way over my head. (Being that I am a novice programmer) So I really hope that this is something they can add soon!

For any one that has spent more time playing around with Fungus - does it have the ability to do other common VN commands such as Skip and Auto?
These aren't deal breakers to me - I just figured it'd be nice to have! :)

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey

#19 Post by netravelr »

SeventhStranger wrote:For any one that has spent more time playing around with Fungus - does it have the ability to do other common VN commands such as Skip and Auto?
These aren't deal breakers to me - I just figured it'd be nice to have! :)
Not by default, but it's something you can add in code. That's something I did for Culina, and after it's released for awhile, I'll probably add it to the repo, but it's not too terrible to implement.

PyroclasticMayhem

#20 Post by PyroclasticMayhem »

Is it possible to add save/load using the variables in Fungus?

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by netravelr »

It is possible to do so, yes. You'll need to know a bit of coding or do a lot of setup to get it to work properly. You may check out their forums to see if there's any news about it:

Good luck!