Visual Novelty - error with saving during the game

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Sharane
Regular

Visual Novelty - error with saving during the game

#1 Post by Sharane »

Hello everybody,

I have a question for those of you who has got some experiences with Visual Novelty. I started creating a visual novel, everything was fine and when I tried to play it as a stand-alone and save the game (as a user), there is an error "failed to save game". I really have no clue what´s wrong with the software or what I could change that it doesn´t work now :(

I like Novelty because I can´t really "program" the game but all the time I´m makeing visual novel in this software, sooner or later some error like this appears. Problems with saving, no backgrounds in stand-alone mode although in "normal" mode it´s everything etc. May be it´s me but I still do the same - add background, add dialogs, add sprites etc. At the beginning it´s ok and out of blue, there is a problem and I can whole my project just throw away :( Of course I made a copy of the game (which is - as I discovered - with error too) but I can´t try stand-alone mode after makeing every single slide for to be sure that everything works all right...

Do you have simillar problems or experiences with Novelty? I suppose you will recommend me to use Renpy but as for style, I just prefer this software... Anyway, all these errors take my enthusiasm away... I made sprites, I have a story, I start to makeing a visual novel and when almost half of work is done, it ends on something like that. (That´s why I put so many sprites here :D) Still, I´m frustrated about this situation - could anyone advice me?

Thanks for all your answers and bye, bye.
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Visual Novelty - error with saving during the game

#2 Post by fleet »

Hi. I use Novelty to make my visual novels. I find frequently saving and making a back up copy of my work prevents a lot of problems (I save and back up the project every ten minutes).

In the folder where you exported your visual novel there should be a log.txt file. It might tell you what happened.

You might have a corrupted version of Novelty. I'm using version 0.8.9.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Sharane
Regular

#3 Post by Sharane »

fleet wrote:Hi. I use Novelty to make my visual novels. I find frequently saving and making a back up copy of my work prevents a lot of problems (I save and back up the project every ten minutes).

In the folder where you exported your visual novel there should be a log.txt file. It might tell you what happened.

You might have a corrupted version of Novelty. I'm using version 0.8.9.
Well, I do the same with the copy but I don´t try the game in stand-alone mode every time before saving... that´s may be the problem. But I could save it every time into the different copy.
Okay, I´ll check the version of Novelty. Thank you!
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by fleet »

I hope you find a solution. :D
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Sharane
Regular

#5 Post by Sharane »

Thank you, I hope so :) I found out that order "save" works only on pages where is a "save button". Which is a little weird for me as in the upper menu you have this order all the time, no matter if the button is on page or not.
So if user try to save game on a page where is (in my case) no dialog window and no save/load buttons but only informative text (for example: "And meanwhile at the castle...), the game will crash.
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by fleet »

Sharane wrote:Thank you, I hope so :) I found out that order "save" works only on pages where is a "save button". Which is a little weird for me as in the upper menu you have this order all the time, no matter if the button is on page or not.
So if user try to save game on a page where is (in my case) no dialog window and no save/load buttons but only informative text (for example: "And meanwhile at the castle...), the game will crash.
It crashes when you press the alt+S combination? Does the crash happen on all Stand-alone exported Novelty games, or only ones that you made?

I put save and load buttons on all pages of my VNs. I'm not sure why you would do otherwise.

Sharane
Regular

#7 Post by Sharane »

fleet wrote:
Sharane wrote:Thank you, I hope so :) I found out that order "save" works only on pages where is a "save button". Which is a little weird for me as in the upper menu you have this order all the time, no matter if the button is on page or not.
It crashes when you press the alt+S combination? Does the crash happen on all Stand-alone exported Novelty games, or only ones that you made?

I put save and load buttons on all pages of my VNs. I'm not sure why you would do otherwise.
No, I didn´t use this combination. I tried to save it only with the order "save" on the upper menu. And it happens only in this game but I really think it´s because of the "save button".
You know, I use the basic dialogue window, where these button are. But as I wrote, I have a few pages where I only need to place some informative text and I don´t want it to appear in a dialogue window. I just want a few lines of text which appears f. e. in the middle of the page. So in this kind of page, I even don´t have a dialog window, nor the "save/load" buttons. I didn´t think it could cause any error... because in the upper menu, there is order "save" all the time.
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by fleet »

If it happens only in that one VN, try saving the project using a different file name, close Novelty And shut down your computer. Restart your computer and then open the project using the new file name.

If that doesn't work, something in your VN is causing the problem. I suggest rebuilding the project file (you already have the pieces). Save frequently and test to see if the problem reoccurs.

You said "You know, I use the basic dialogue window, where these button are. But as I wrote, I have a few pages where I only need to place some informative text and I don´t want it to appear in a dialogue window. I just want a few lines of text which appears f. e. in the middle of the page. So in this kind of page, I even don´t have a dialog window, nor the "save/load" buttons. I didn´t think it could cause any error... because in the upper menu, there is order "save" all the time.:

You can remove the default interface from an individual novel page. Click to the "Scene" tab (it's to the right of the screen and Novel tabs in the upper left corner of your screen.
Once in the Scene tab, you should see a gray bar with the words "Novel Interface" Right click on the gray bar and select "Remove global layer (from this page). You will get a dialog box to confirm your choice.
After removing the interface layer, click on the Novel tab to return to your novel pages.