Making VNs with Unity??

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
muggy8
Regular

Making VNs with Unity??

#1 Post by muggy8 »

Hi guys I'm looking to try and make a VN with Unity not that I dislike Ren'Py or anything I'm just much more familiar with Unity than anything else after using it for school and all. I was wondering if there's any already made Unity based plugins (or script) or what not for making VNs if not then I'll probably end up scripting my own. The idea I want to go for is to a script where you just slap it on the camera (or a null object) and you can start scripting away. (probably in the inspector but you can also open up the script and do it too). I was thinking I want something like this so in the future I can add alternative gameplay segments into visual novel style narrative (think Professor Layton) into games. I've searched around for quite a while but turned up nothing but if you guys know of something I'd love to have something like this and if it doesn't exist I was thinking I'd code it myself.

Assuming that I'd end up coding something like this would there be any specific function that I should include? Currently I'm looking at: saving/loading, text scroll, auto mode, moving characters sprites (animated and moves on screen), bgm, voice over, 3D backgrounds, 2D backgrounds, (potentially 3D characters as well), decisions (branching narrative).

I'm pretty sure I missed something so feel free to add stuff. Also assuming that there isn't something like this floating around the web would there be any interest in this??

PS: for those of you who are also into unity programming I was thinking that for usage, you'd just drop the script into your assets and then just make a new script for each scene and each new script for each scene would just extend the base script. also C# or JavaScript?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Making VNs with Unity??

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Kerny
Projects: Cell Shock, Mammono wars

#3 Post by Kerny »

I already build my own Unity3d Visual novel. (With 3D chars/3d backgrounds not 2D sprites).
Thats how i do it :

I differ between VNframes (one sentence from a person) and VNevents (Contains all VNframes from one event)
A VNframe is a hashtable with many variables like
-> Position of 3d char
-> look direction (Head look controller)
-> Possible functions via Sendmessage
-> Name of person/text from person
-> many other variables used to display the current scene

a example from one of my scripts :

Code: Select all

private var SC9_FaeVSMelina43 = new Array();
index_story_arrays[43] = SC9_FaeVSMelina43;

story_hashtable = new Hashtable();
story_hashtable["NameText"] = "Remo";
story_hashtable["MainText"] = "*Fae suddenly grabbed the old axe right next to her*.";
story_hashtable["ActivateGameObject1"] = "Faesaxt1";
story_hashtable["ActivateGameObject11"] = true;
story_hashtable["ActivateGameObject2"] = "AxtForFae";
story_hashtable["ActivateGameObject22"] = false;
story_hashtable["ANIM1"] = "Fae";
story_hashtable["ANIM11"] = "Fae@HoldingAxe";
story_hashtable["FADE_IN"] = "!";
story_hashtable["POS1"] = "Melina";
story_hashtable["POS11"] = "SC9_MElinaPOsENdingFae2";
story_hashtable["ANIM2"] = "Melina";
story_hashtable["ANIM22"] = "Melina@Scared";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Gameobject1"] = "Fae";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Name1"] = "TriggerHeadlookTargetManualy";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Value1"] = "Melinas_HeadLT";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Gameobject2"] = "Melina";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Name2"] = "TriggerHeadlookTargetManualy";
story_hashtable["FUNCTION_Value2"] = "Phelinas_Head_LT";;
SC9_FaeVSMelina43.Push(story_hashtable);

A VNevent is just a array of hashtables in a specific row.
Save is a more complex issue since i use a selfwritten serialization script (means array with Hashtable to a string and safe into a .txt file)

In the end you really have to choose the hard or the easy way... using 3d chars and 3d worlds is a more complex issue than just sliding sprites from one place to another with a 2d background.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#4 Post by netravelr »

Just so you know, there's a whole thread about using Unity here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 57&t=22774

And Fungus, which I suggest using is discussed here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 57&t=28505
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash