Tyranobuilder?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

Re: Tyranobuilder?

#31 Post by YonYonYon »

Everything has started http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Offici ... BuilderJam
The theme is "United by Fate". Good luck for everyone participating.
ImageImage

KamenWriter

#32 Post by KamenWriter »

I'd like to ask, for those of you who have seen this software and those of you who use Ren'Py more, which would be recommended for a newbie? TyranoBuilder recently updated so that variables are much easier to implement, which is a tremendous help for me, but speaking to those of you who are more experienced with this medium, am I barking up the wrong tree with Tyrano if I wanted to seriously pursue making a visual novel down the road?

Apologies if this is a question that can't get a proper answer here, but I feel as though asking it on a board oriented towards the software would just be prone to biased answers more than anything.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#33 Post by firecat »

KamenWriter wrote:I'd like to ask, for those of you who have seen this software and those of you who use Ren'Py more, which would be recommended for a newbie? TyranoBuilder recently updated so that variables are much easier to implement, which is a tremendous help for me, but speaking to those of you who are more experienced with this medium, am I barking up the wrong tree with Tyrano if I wanted to seriously pursue making a visual novel down the road?

Apologies if this is a question that can't get a proper answer here, but I feel as though asking it on a board oriented towards the software would just be prone to biased answers more than anything.
renpy would be the best, TyranoBuilder still has problems with their HTML games and its still 20x slower to build a VN.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#34 Post by TsukiShima »

For newbies who want to see quick result, Tyrano is what you can have. Tyrano is fun, I admit that, especially since we can do the build-in windows. That's really the main advantage of Tyrano and the reason why most of the users bought it, other than the quick buttons you get in case you don't know how to code.

But if you want to build a complicated VN with a lot of customization, it is better if you go with Renpy.

Tyrano, while flexible, still needs a lot of improvements even with their latest update. Even with the games that won the Tyrano contest, I saw that none of them really use anything complex. You would still need to code for yourself if you aim to customize the side image, UI, etc. For now I believe they lack of the ability to do smooth transition, flexibility of the layers (perhaps I'm just clueless but I can't get the side image to be ABOVE the textbox) and sometimes you do get errors while dropping off the images on the screen. All you can do to fix this is to close and reopen the window. I find that a bit annoying. (And they yet to implement the 'auto return' button after you finish the game. If you forgot about that, the game will just stuck there.)

While I'm not experienced, but from someone who has both Renpy and Tyrano, until they upgrade their software to be more flexible (because yes admittedly Tyrano does has potential), I would still recommend Renpy.

KamenWriter

#35 Post by KamenWriter »

firecat wrote:renpy would be the best, TyranoBuilder still has problems with their HTML games and its still 20x slower to build a VN.
Oh, I could go on all day about some of Tyrano's problems that I've run into - though could you elaborate a little on what you mean by how a TyranoBuilder game would take much longer? Is it just that once you get the coding down for Renpy, you're set and can breeze through, or is there more to it beyond that?

Truth be told, just opening Renpy up had me confused the first time, but that sort of thing is probably best left to another topic.
TsukiShima wrote:For newbies who want to see quick result, Tyrano is what you can have. Tyrano is fun, I admit that, especially since we can do the build-in windows. That's really the main advantage of Tyrano and the reason why most of the users bought it, other than the quick buttons you get in case you don't know how to code.

But if you want to build a complicated VN with a lot of customization, it is better if you go with Renpy.

Tyrano, while flexible, still needs a lot of improvements even with their latest update. Even with the games that won the Tyrano contest, I saw that none of them really use anything complex. You would still need to code for yourself if you aim to customize the side image, UI, etc. For now I believe they lack of the ability to do smooth transition, flexibility of the layers (perhaps I'm just clueless but I can't get the side image to be ABOVE the textbox) and sometimes you do get errors while dropping off the images on the screen. All you can do to fix this is to close and reopen the window. I find that a bit annoying. (And they yet to implement the 'auto return' button after you finish the game. If you forgot about that, the game will just stuck there.)

While I'm not experienced, but from someone who has both Renpy and Tyrano, until they upgrade their software to be more flexible (because yes admittedly Tyrano does has potential), I would still recommend Renpy.
Well, I've already made a couple of small things with it for now, but my end goal is, ideally, something polished and finished and maybe even sellable, but who knows how far off that is.

You are right that there are a slew of issues with the software as it is, though the variable implementation with the new update does pretty much cover the extent of what I want out of any visual novel software I'd use. That's not to say it would look nice, of course, but I could create something in Tyrano with that, I... think. To explain, the sorts of games I want to make, at least right now, are in two categories:

1.) More linear stories, with little or no choices, that simply take advantage of the medium (akin to Ryukishi 07's work, like the When They Cry series that's currently having episodic rereleases on Steam).
2.) Stories that branch out based on variables (choose X, +10 to X route, choose Y, nothing; get to a certain scene, this thing happens if X route has >10, etc.) and so on (akin to more standard visual novels).

With the newest update, it seems like Tyrano pretty much has me covered as far as tools, I'd just be making some... well, possibly ugly looking products at the end of the day.

With that in mind, would the customization options Renpy offers be that much of a benefit? It does sound like it would be beneficial to learn it in general, but for example, I don't think I would make a game focusing so much on stats, which seems to be a more popular genre around here, so the tools that go towards that... I don't think would effect me much then?

I don't know, really. Sorry for the mess of words here. It does sound like what I need to try is to give Renpy another chance, I suppose.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by TsukiShima »

KamenWriter wrote:To explain, the sorts of games I want to make, at least right now, are in two categories:

1.) More linear stories, with little or no choices, that simply take advantage of the medium (akin to Ryukishi 07's work, like the When They Cry series that's currently having episodic rereleases on Steam).
2.) Stories that branch out based on variables (choose X, +10 to X route, choose Y, nothing; get to a certain scene, this thing happens if X route has >10, etc.) and so on (akin to more standard visual novels).
If you want to make your game within those categories, then yes, Tyrano covered those up pretty well. It's good enough to make a pretty simple game such as your example.

Are you using the free version? Because if you haven't bought it yet, I would suggest you to hold your horses and maybe wait for the Christmas - Year End sale, in case TyranoBuilder also offers a discount again. :P
KamenWriter wrote:With that in mind, would the customization options Renpy offers be that much of a benefit? It does sound like it would be beneficial to learn it in general, but for example, I don't think I would make a game focusing so much on stats, which seems to be a more popular genre around here, so the tools that go towards that... I don't think would effect me much then?
Even with Renpy, I feel like you are capable of making those simple games of yours. Minus all the other complicated stuff, all you would need to do are probably gather all the assets you need, write your scripts into Renpy, put in a little coding for the menus, choices and routes, which with the current Renpy version, you find a lot of guides so you wouldn't be too lost. Moreover, the episodic release is quite possible with this software. As you go along, I believe you would get used to it and understands how the codes work on your way building your games.

Plus, I highly recommend Renpy if you aim to sell your games later on, because... yeah, the ugly looking product thing. It's not very good in the eyes. Plus while it's 'production-friendly'. But not very friendly to our players.

KamenWriter

#37 Post by KamenWriter »

TsukiShima wrote:If you want to make your game within those categories, then yes, Tyrano covered those up pretty well. It's good enough to make a pretty simple game such as your example.

Are you using the free version? Because if you haven't bought it yet, I would suggest you to hold your horses and maybe wait for the Christmas - Year End sale, in case TyranoBuilder also offers a discount again. :P
Wait, of Renpy or Tyrano? I've got Renpy free and Tyrano paid - I had no idea there were alternatives to either, if there are.
TsukiShima wrote:Even with Renpy, I feel like you are capable of making those simple games of yours. Minus all the other complicated stuff, all you would need to do are probably gather all the assets you need, write your scripts into Renpy, put in a little coding for the menus, choices and routes, which with the current Renpy version, you find a lot of guides so you wouldn't be too lost. Moreover, the episodic release is quite possible with this software. As you go along, I believe you would get used to it and understands how the codes work on your way building your games.

Plus, I highly recommend Renpy if you aim to sell your games later on, because... yeah, the ugly looking product thing. It's not very good in the eyes. Plus while it's 'production-friendly'. But not very friendly to our players.
Well, you've got me close to convinced!

I think I'm off to look at some guides and either report back here or elsewhere depending on what I stick with. :lol: We shall see!

Thanks for answering my questions.

Akuni
Regular

#38 Post by Akuni »

I used it for my first project and I like it.

I think if your used to coding you can get more out of it than just basic usage but it is easy for making quick things. I'll stick to Ren'PY though ^^; I just find it easier to work through and there's more tutorials and help for it around.

Mirana
Organization: UNDERland Studios

#39 Post by Mirana »

I was actually planning to purchase it on Steam this morning...? Looks simple to use, for me at least, that I'm just getting started.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by TsukiShima »

You can read out sort-of reviews on the previous comments.

To cut it simple for you, if you aim for something simple for your first game, Tyrano is one of the possible platforms you can use. Especially if you want to see an instant product of your work and coding. It still needs a lot of updates on my own opinion. But yeah, it's still up to you. Since Tyrano lets you download their latest versions after purchasing, I would say it's safe to get it.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#41 Post by firecat »

TsukiShima wrote:You can read out sort-of reviews on the previous comments.

To cut it simple for you, if you aim for something simple for your first game, Tyrano is one of the possible platforms you can use. Especially if you want to see an instant product of your work and coding. It still needs a lot of updates on my own opinion. But yeah, it's still up to you. Since Tyrano lets you download their latest versions after purchasing, I would say it's safe to get it.
simple doesnt always mean better, GM for example can only do simple games. if you want to add complex rpg elements or racing game you must learn things then asked. if you dont learn the game will always be the same, the same game means no progress and people will one day stop playing these simple games.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by TsukiShima »

Yes, that is why I say 'simple', I never said the result would be better or advanced.

I myself use both Tyrano and Renpy. I am not as experienced as other people here in both but I have a good grasp on how to work with Renpy and I personally prefer Renpy more to get the result that I want. I am simply stating the fact that if 'simple' they are aiming for, then Tyrano is one of the possible engines they can use. However I also highly recommend learning Renpy as it's easy, plus all the guides and tutorials are around!

Hope that clears thing up.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#43 Post by SundownKid »

KamenWriter wrote:I'd like to ask, for those of you who have seen this software and those of you who use Ren'Py more, which would be recommended for a newbie? TyranoBuilder recently updated so that variables are much easier to implement, which is a tremendous help for me, but speaking to those of you who are more experienced with this medium, am I barking up the wrong tree with Tyrano if I wanted to seriously pursue making a visual novel down the road?

I would suggest Renpy, if you are *serious* about making a visual novel then Tyranobuilder will be insufficient.

Once you learn Renpyscript basics you are already on par with what Tyranobuilder can do. I suppose customizing the graphics may be easier in Tyranobuilder but the options are quite basic.

Essentially if you can handle Renpy then use it because it has more features. The exception being, of course, Live2D.

But really, Renpy isnt that hard to learn. I learned how to program it inside and out and I consider myself the biggest programming dunce there is.

TheDarkCynder

#44 Post by TheDarkCynder »

Personally, I actually do prefer Tyranobuilder, and I understand both programs fairly well. It honestly really depends on what you're trying to do with a visual novel. I prefer Tyranobuilder because it has support for gifs which is incredibly important for a project I'm working on right now.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#45 Post by SundownKid »

TheDarkCynder wrote:Personally, I actually do prefer Tyranobuilder, and I understand both programs fairly well. It honestly really depends on what you're trying to do with a visual novel. I prefer Tyranobuilder because it has support for gifs which is incredibly important for a project I'm working on right now.
GIFs are not supported for a reason, they are obsolete tech that only supports 256 colors. You can accomplish the same thing by exporting a PNG sequence and using ATL + find and replace.