Tyranobuilder?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Tyranobuilder?

#61 Post by Donmai »

Thanks for sharing your experience, artyrambles.
Very useful review.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

8oni
Regular
Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni

#62 Post by 8oni »

artyrambles wrote: Okay, this post is getting way too long, and even though I could go on, let me just say my conclusion:

If you are just messing around, TB is an option for you, if you want to spend money for something Ren'Py does for free.

If you are serious about making VNs and want to make a game that is player-friendly, use Ren'Py. Learning how to use it isn't as hard as it seems at first, you can do everything you do in TB with a minimal understanding of programming. Like, I started recreating everything I did in TB after like two hours of reading the documentation.

These are just my personal opinions, though. I hope someone will find this review helpful.
First, not everyone LIKE to code.
And this comes from someone that have writing code up to 1000 lines and that's just so I can get ONE simple function done so trust me when I say unless it's freaking necessary, I see no reason why I should wrote everything in code if I can have it done using drag and drop components.

Second, TB is still developing. Also since it seems you didn't know much about TB, there is already a plugin to do a GUI interface, but since English version didn't have a new tag unlike the Japanese version, English user have to wait until the update before the plugin can be used. So yeah, for now English user like me will just learning from the Japanese user so I can be ready when those function out.

Every engine have it upside down. TB only come out for a couple of years, so personally I say if you want to comparing it to a freaking super popular engine that already have a ton of fans and documentation for it, it's not fair.

But well, it's just my personal opinion.

Just some foot note : I remember last year I have to open and edit the file inside the TB just to change the cursor. Now they have implement the cursor change on the interface I only need to click the button, load the picture and tada, custom cursor. So yeah, everything comes gradually, not in one night.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

#63 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

My game is in Tyrano. It's restrictive, but a pretty nifty toolbox. Of course, like it's been said already, Tyrano needs more features. But, hey! For now, for a newbie like me, it's pretty dope.
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#64 Post by Donmai »

PassiveChicken wrote:For now, for a newbie like me, it's pretty dope.
I believe that's exactly what artyrambles meant. The guy only told us a personal experience. It's okay if you see it differently.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

#65 Post by quinnsea »

artyrambles's review is pretty helpful. I got TyranoBuilder as a gift a while back when I was first interested in making visual novels, and I've really only been playing with it ever since. I like it as someone that's pretty new, (especially since it has some preset assets I can use just to make sure everything flows the way it's supposed to) but I can't help but keep thinking that some of the things I wanna do can be done a bit easier? I should probably try messing around with Ren'Py myself a bit before making a decision, right?

I might keep to TyranoBuilder if I want to make a purely text-based interactive novel since it has that option. Really appreciate that artyrambles is bringing this thread back, I've been mulling over what program to go with for a little too long.

Dookiesh0ez
Projects: Sexventure Time

#66 Post by Dookiesh0ez »

Just a heads up to anyone interested, it is on sale on steam right now for the summer sale.

I picked it up and had a quick look, looks like it will be more of a pain than just coding (for me anyway) but I really like all the different platforms it supports.

Anyone know any really technically good games in tryano I could try to see it's technical limitations?

Xand
Regular

#67 Post by Xand »

Hello!
I'm an artist and I don't think I can write a code. Pure coding just make me mad. But I want to try to create a VN myself from scratch. And I wanted to ask how is Tyranobuilder now?
It was glitchy a few years ago. It was ok to create 2hours VN without lot of bugs but the bigger game was growing the more errors occurred.
Can Tyranobuilder now bake a fully working not glitching 3-9 hours visual novel with choices and tiny gameplay elements nowadays?
I plan to make it more graphics heavy and a tiny amount of gameplay so I hope Tyranobuilder becomes better and safe for a commercials. Anyone have experience?

rodent
Regular
Tumblr: jyagger

#68 Post by rodent »

Its still glitchy imo. But its the best option for people who dont want to code.