Tyranobuilder?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
godman85
Regular
Organization: Black Sands Entertainment

Re: Tyranobuilder?

#16 Post by godman85 »

a huge update is coming to incorporate live 2d into the interface so you can animate in client O_O

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#17 Post by Alte »

godman85 wrote:a huge update is coming to incorporate live 2d into the interface so you can animate in client O_O
It's now a reality.

Now Updated with Live2D Support + More!!

It could be possible for Ren'Py.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Gambit74
Regular

#18 Post by Gambit74 »

Didn't think it was appropriate to start a new topic when this one was still near the top, so I will be posting here.

What's the verdict on this software? I haven't used Ren'Py in nearly three years because of job training, as well as writing my story out in docs first, so I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I used to know. From what I've seen of the video, it looks rather simple to use. And while I'm no programmer, I still like the option of doing some scripting/coding on the side because I don't intend to use the original interface in the final work. Does this allow for a lot of customization, specifically font type and being able to switch between NVL and ADV style?
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#19 Post by YonYonYon »

It's indeed easy to use. And it seems that you can customize the looks for your VN too - like, you can customize the buttons for your menu(I'm not sure about the positions tho), many thing of your message window(image, placement, width, lenght, and such), your font (I'm not sure if you can upload your own fonts), that blinking icon.

Also, you can use Live2D! Which is good.

The bad thing is that it's bothersome with troubleshooting. In Ren'Py you see your code and can find where you made a mistake, while in Tyranobuilder you can just shrug helplessly, not knowing what to do and where to look //personal experience.
ImageImage

Rated Z
Regular
Projects: Western Destiny
Deviantart: dennyzartman
Soundcloud: denny-zartman

#20 Post by Rated Z »

I'm in the same situation, Gambit74. I made my first RenPy VN earlier this year, then got drawn away by other things. Now I'd like to get back and really work on a serious game, but wasn't sure if I wanted to struggle learning RenPy again. So I took the chance and bought TyranoBuilder last night based on all the glowing reviews.

After a day and a half, I can't stand it. There are some good aspects for sure, and it has a lot of potential to be great in the future, but I've been struggling all day to simply generate and display a random number, and even with two tutorials guiding me, I just can't figure it out.

There are two types of script in TyranoBuilder (iScript and TyranoScript) and for me it's confusing as all get out as to which ones to use when. Not saying RenPy was easy for me, but at least I eventually figured it out and got it to work. On TyranoBuilder, so far I'm at a complete loss and ready to throw the whole thing out. Also, I can't get the movie player to work at all.

TyranoBuilder also makes a major selling point that it can export to Apple's app store and Google Play for Android, but from the little I've investigated, the export process looks like a GIGANTIC headache and definitely not for noobs like me.

It's too bad, because there are some positive aspects. For making a straight ahead VN or branching story, it is pretty easy to use and you can get started fairly quickly. Placing buttons is a breeze. The Steam forum community seems to be robust, so I might be able to find answers if I keep digging, but for me personally, it's been an incredibly frustrating day working with TyranoBuilder. So far, I'm very disappointed... but I admit I am the very rare exception. Most people seem to love this program.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#21 Post by trooper6 »

Rated Z wrote: Most people seem to love this program.
I wonder if the people who love it have tried Ren'Py?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Rated Z
Regular
Projects: Western Destiny
Deviantart: dennyzartman
Soundcloud: denny-zartman

#22 Post by Rated Z »

trooper6 wrote:
I wonder if the people who love it have tried Ren'Py?
One of the reviewers on Steam gave TyranoBuilder a positive review, and said specifically that they came from using RenPy. That helped sell TB for me. But I think the official TB tutorial is terrible, the two scripts on TB are confusing, and Python seems to be a tiny bit more user friendly. At least it doesn't seem more difficult than the TB scripting mish mosh.

TB pitches itself as a super easy alternative, both in creation and distribution, but it really looks like a mess to me when I dig around inside and try to do something relatively simple. TB has a lot of potential, and maybe in a year or two it will improve as they add features and fix bugs. A brand new tutorial would do wonders, too. In some aspects it's better than RenPy, but in others it's pretty much the same or inferior. Like someone said above, it's easier to get started making a VN on TB, but once you're stuck with a problem, you're really stuck.

At best I'd call it a draw, but at this point I think I'd rather go back to RenPy.

Gambit74
Regular

#23 Post by Gambit74 »

So I bought it just to try it out myself during my time at AX, and I must say I do enjoy the simplicity of the software. However, I have to wonder why they don't have a command to boot you back to the title screen at the end of a scene/your game. I mean, once the scene is finished, you're just stuck there until you close the game yourself. I also don't like how I can't switch between NVL and ADV scenes throughout the game (unless I'm missing something here).

I think I will be sticking with Ren'Py for the time being, and keep this program around for simpler and quick projects.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#24 Post by Alte »

Gambit74 wrote:I also don't like how I can't switch between NVL and ADV scenes throughout the game (unless I'm missing something here).
There's a guide for Switching between Visual Novel text boxes and Sound Novel text boxes.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#25 Post by MimirollCookie »

Well i saw it.....
Pretty cool....
http://tyranobuilder.com/
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

rodent
Regular
Tumblr: jyagger

#26 Post by rodent »

The only good thing about Tyranobuilder for me is the html5 packaging for online upload. Supporting gifs is also nice. Considering Ren'py is pretty simple to learn...I wouldn't pay for Tyranobuilder yet.

Atomic-Invasion
Regular
Projects: Short Story, Project BEAT
Tumblr: atomicinvasion
Deviantart: atomic-invasion

#27 Post by Atomic-Invasion »

Hello

New here and just to contribute something about this topic > < Please don't hurt me (ha...hahah.)

I'm using Tyranobuilder on majority of the projects I'm working on. It's actually pretty easy to use if you want a very straight forward VN but if you want a bit more complicated and very interactive game, you have to go coding using Tyranoscript or the javascript as it supports both. Don't get me wrong I love Ren'Py but the GUI of the Tyranobuilder is what grabbed me the most, probably because I want to quickly see what I was coding. However there are still some problems or 'meh' moments in using it such as limitation on asset sorting or if you're heavy on Tyranoscript you need to save it a one or two times before it works. I would like to add more meh moments but (1)I don't want to discourage some people who are curious and (2) I'm a littly nitpicky on things. For the meantime I think I would go for Tyranobuilder and try to expand my what I can do there since I already bought it but for people who haven't I think you should wait for a good major update in some of the functions and and assets...or wait for Steam Sale~ Here's a test look quickly made using Tyranobuilder, exported in android size

http://test.gametestandresource.com/

I hope my post helps

ShaneWSmith

#28 Post by ShaneWSmith »

I'm using TyranoBuilder at the moment for my first game. I haven't used any other engines yet. I'm loving it, though - it's very intuitive and surprisingly deep in terms of the options you can script into your game.

Here's what I've come up with so far, an ambitious and epic branching game called Messar Dreams. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=33556

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#29 Post by YonYonYon »

For people who don't follow VNsNow.

Tyrannobuilder's developer company is hosting a summer jam with a prize worth of 800$. It starts next monday.
http://vnsnow.com/2015/08/nyu-media-ann ... -game-jam/
ImageImage

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#30 Post by TsukiShima »

Holy shit, this looks nice haha.

I only gotten myself the trial version of TyranoBuilder, because right now, after testing the trial here and there, I don't see much difference and the changes that can be made are only limited therefore I decided to wait for more updates and upgrades of the software. The drag and drop thing is the only function that made me excited on using it tho.

But with this and the 25% offer, I'm considering. ^ q ^ ohoho.

Edit : After discussing with a wise friend, I decided that perhaps it's still not the right time to purchase TyranoBuilder. It may be just my personal opinion, but I agree with ThatVNNowGuy. This looks like it is more leaning to marketing strategy and the fact that the offer ends on the 17th and the contest starts at 17th along with the rules and regulation, I don't want to risk my money yet. I guess I'll wait until I'm fully ready.