Tyranobuilder?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Tyranobuilder?

#1 Post by Rinima »

Has anyone else seen it?
What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=310BjKiIPAk
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

Re: Tyranobuilder?

#2 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I was just introduced to it earlier today!

I'd want to try this out before buying, but speaking as someone who still has little experience with programming, I think it may be useful.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

biloon

#3 Post by biloon »

You can download the standard version and try it out I guess. In Japanese site, there are both standard and pro version. Right now, standard version can only have 10 characters, 10 BGM, and 30 background CG at most. If you buy the pro version, then you'll not have this limitation.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#4 Post by Alte »

I've seen two formats in the Japanese trial.

ADV

NVL

Both have the option for custom resolutions, the default choices are interesting to set the standards.

640x480 [4:3]
960x640 [3:2]

I can confirm that whichever background a user chooses for the according resolution scales up or down to fit in the screen.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

BRBeeps
Projects: Chrysanthemum Tea, Project E.A.R.T.H, Avitus
Organization: Last Word, Watercress Studios, Independant
Tumblr: segibson-art
Deviantart: buggie-running-beeps

#5 Post by BRBeeps »

I just purchased the english version on Steam (it's on sale at the moment, too!). I'm a bit skeptical about using it for more complex games (whether the scripting is easier than Python or not) but dang I wish it had've been released before NaNoRenO! Would have been great for throwing a quick game together! Also I like how it exports for web browsers as well =3

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#6 Post by jack_norton »

I don't own it, but based on the video/screenshot seems a good tool for making plain VN. I think for anything that requires a bit of more customization, Ren'Py is still better. Of course, if you want to do RPG or sims like mine, Ren'Py is still obviously the best choice.
Even doing a simple dating sim with stats/skills and scheduler seems not possible (at least from what I know).
The fact that can export to web is nice but basically pointless since few people are interested in playing VNs online, despite what some people might think (I have stats).
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Alte
The Great Organizer

#7 Post by Alte »

There's a browser based demo of Kimi Ga Matsu, Kono Basho De. (Here, Where You Await.) in English which is made from TyranoBuilder can be seen here.
It's a adventure game by the developer Sis-Tears.
jack_norton wrote:The fact that can export to web is nice but basically pointless since few people are interested in playing VNs online, despite what some people might think (I have stats).
I once knew a project manager, from a previous community, who mentions having 'stats' to secure themselves from backlash. I would like to point out that stats CAN change for better or worse.

I believe it's too soon to start judging TyranoBuilder as it is now, the software still receives updates for improvements, fixes, and ease customizations. I don't think Ren'Py started out with dating sim functionality until added later on with support from the developer/ community. From history, Moonlight is Ren'Py's first visual novel.

I admire the fact that TyranoBuilder is reaching out to many languages besides English. (French, German, Spanish, or Italian)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#8 Post by nyaatrap »

Its HTML5 based. The developer made this for a writer or an illustrator who don't know programming (You'll get stressed if you are a programmer. It just targets a different user). There's no customization. However its development is fast and steady, it'll be better in the future.

Alte
The Great Organizer

#9 Post by Alte »

Doesn't TyranoBuilder customizations limited to GUI?
I have seen it done well in a few Japanese examples.

Also the same developers works on JokerScript which is officially supported by Live2D.
Japanese demo
http://jokerscript.jp/demogame/live2d/live2d.html

It was mentioned in a thread around here, Jokerscript Unity-Based Novel Engine

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#10 Post by nyaatrap »

I don't know if it's already mentioned or not. Tyranobuilder is based on his another VN engine Tyranoscript which is open sourced and text based: http://www.evanburchard.com/tyranoscript/ For a programmer, it's recommended more than Tyranobuilder.
Alte wrote:Doesn't TyranoBuilder customizations limited to GUI?
I have seen it done well in a few Japanese examples.
Yes, it can customize GUI. I was thinking changing GUI is not customization, but just a normal thing.

BRBeeps
Projects: Chrysanthemum Tea, Project E.A.R.T.H, Avitus
Organization: Last Word, Watercress Studios, Independant
Tumblr: segibson-art
Deviantart: buggie-running-beeps

#11 Post by BRBeeps »

I think they mean things like custom game systems and whatnot. Like I said, this looks great for throwing together a quick VN/KN in (I started tinkering with it this morning) with no coding. Also, despite what stats say, I'd love to have playable content built right into my portfolio website for potential employers to see. Or a demo of the game built into a promo page alongside a trailer! I can't see many people switching from ren'py to Tyranobuilder straight away, especially if they're good at coding more advanced stuff like RPG systems and whatnot, but I'm interested to see what this tool can do =3

MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

#12 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

Honestly, this looks pretty friggin' fantastic! Yeah, it's fairly simple, and I wouldn't recommend using it for any commercial or serious projects, but for people just looking to get their stuff out there but are getting stuck on coding, I imagine this'd be super helpful!

In fact, I may just be able to complete my very first VN by the NaNoRenO deadline, and I only started it yesterday! That's something that deserves a medal in of itself, don't ya think? Welp, it just finished downloading. I'm off to check this badboy out and I'll report back! :D

serenescientist
Projects: Asalaam E Ishqum

#13 Post by serenescientist »

I've been using the software since the day it came out on Steam and with a little guiding from the forum I've found this to not only be a lot simpler to use than Ren'py (for me, at least, I have trouble parsing chunks of text because my brain can't quite handle it), but also it provides a lot of leeway for those more familiar with coding too.

That being said, there's always room for improvement, and the mods of the official english forum are very helpful and willing to listen to all suggestions.

I'll provide a few links, just for other people wanting to use this software!!

Official Suggestions Thread http://steamcommunity.com/app/345370/di ... 536116125/
Beginner's Guide (includes basic variables coding tutorial) http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/ ... =417249545
Tutorial on how to allow your players to pick their own name http://steamcommunity.com/app/345370/di ... 9533021943 (currently you can't have that name appear in the Namebox, but it's been brought to the moderator's attention. I get around it by putting 'Me' into the Namebox at the moment).

And a preview of the GUI I made from scratch & loaded into my game I'm working on currently in this software.

Like I said, there's always room for improvement with any software but this is very simple to pick up and has a lot of potential that allows you to really choose your own level of complexity in coding.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#14 Post by Kinmoku »

I'm interested for the sole reason it's HTML 5 and works on iOS too. That's a huge sell for me as iOS is one of the most appealing platforms to have a VN on. Has anyone tried a Tyranobuilder game on an iDevice? Does it work on iPad? Retina display?

I've started coding my game in Ren'py, and I don't really want to restart as it's a mammoth project (plus I find coding easy and fun), but if you guys really recommend it, I may do just that. I don't really have any stats/ RPG elements in my VN so I don't think it should be too much of an issue. Shame there's no trial version.

Hang on, just read this:

-Fullscreen mode is not available. (Which is a big deal.)
-Can't use custom fonts.
-Can't resize characters and the text boxes. Tends to make things bigger or smaller than what you want.

On second thought, maybe I'll stick with Ren'py haha.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#15 Post by firecat »

i try the HTML example, it didnt work
http://www.evanburchard.com/tyranoscript/tutorial.html

other then that NO RESIZING CHARACTERS!