[WIP] Visual Novel Maker (VNMaker)

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
WhiteWolf93

[WIP] Visual Novel Maker (VNMaker)

#1 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

Hello guys, this is my first time writing on this forum but I wanted to share this to people who knows about Visual Novels more than me.

Recently I discovered a "love" to Visual Novels and I almost finished 4 of them in less than a month, I'm an experienced Programmer, specially using Clickteam Fusion and decided to make a satisfying editor.

I'm making this and not using any other Visual Novel Engine because I feel like the others doesnt have the appeal I want (I mean the editor itself not only the finished game); this is not my first time making an editor and wanted to get some feedback from real Visual Novel Makers like you so I can make a better engine that I would do alone.

There are a few reasons i'm making this:

-I want to make a Visual Novel in the future.
-I want to use my own editor.
-I want to make it free and open-source.
-I want to make it useful, easy and complete.

The Project itself has a long way to go but the first steps are crucial for get to my goal, so here it is, let me explain it.

Visual Novel Maker
This is an editor that allows you to make Visual Novels for Windows, its open source and expandable.

The current features are still in WIP, I'm using RIPs of Princess Evangile to test the engine, so I dont own the characters and background images (neither the message system image) but everything else its mine.

This is what i have so far.

The Story / Assets / Event System is still in WIP, its based on RPG Maker and some scripting.

Here are the future features I would like to do, maybe not all but most will be in the Alpha Release:
-Event system that allows you to make everything.
-Database where you can make your own backgrounds and choose how they look at night, day, summer, winter..., you can configure characters clothes and expresions.
-Story system based on Chapters and Scenes, this will allow you to test in the editor itself (like in unity) your own game, debug it and jump to other chapters.
-Standalone Player so when you finish your game you can share it directly, you dont need to worry about dependencies.
-You can make your own menus.
-Mobile Phone that allows you to see messages from other people, story information, see pictures etc, this is optional for your game.
-Lua integrated system so you can write your own scripts and load them at runtime.

I think it seems to be a bit weird to post this like this, I didnt even finish the event system and I'm posting it, but I wanted so bad feedback, what do you want to see, what do you want to be able to do, what you think its bad, etc... But I'm going forward for this, specially because it will be open source and my own engine for making VN.

For those who are wondering how is this made it is ClickTeam Fusion 2.5, I got since child using all clickteam fusion editors (since Klick & Play) and I'm pretty sure that I can do this.

Hope you like this thread and sorry for my english (I'm not that good with it :/ ).

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Re: [WIP] Visual Novel Maker (VNMaker)

#2 Post by HiddenCreature »

Nice to see new people making engines. You sound like you're really committed to finishing this, so I look forward to seeing any updates.

This sounds great to someone who prefers a more visual approach to making visual novels.

If you don't already have this planned, here's one feature I'd like: when testing out a chapter, you have the ability to quickly scroll through events. Kind of like how you do with YouTube videos (hope that made sense).

WhiteWolf93

#3 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

HiddenCreature wrote:Nice to see new people making engines. You sound like you're really committed to finishing this, so I look forward to seeing any updates.

This sounds great to someone who prefers a more visual approach to making visual novels.

If you don't already have this planned, here's one feature I'd like: when testing out a chapter, you have the ability to quickly scroll through events. Kind of like how you do with YouTube videos (hope that made sense).
Thanks, I was thinking about your idea these days and how could I perform it, and I'm sure is possible, the only thing I'm a bit scared of is scrolling when there are conditionals and elections.

This is what i have done yesterday: Now the asset viewer works, you can make new folders, edit them, rename files, remove them, visualize them (like in unity) and open the folder, at the moment these are the available formats that can preview:

Png, Mp3, Ogg, Wav, Mp4, Avi, Mpg, Wma, Wmv, Flv and Mid (Midi files).

I'm working on making the viewer better at the moment, what it does is that everything in the Assets folder of your game will be able to be used in your game, you just need to put your assets there and select them from the event editor.

I'm gonna work on the story manager and scene manager today too, so I'm pretty sure that in the next days we could do dialogues at least and maybe load backgrounds.

You know, any feedback is fine.

By the way the last thing i should say is that at the moment it works with any language, you can write in japanese if you want or make it in english, the final editor will have an oficial application to translate games too so they wont be able to enter the source code of your games but they will be able to translate them and make a patch.

Uff, I'm hyped with my own project <_<

HiddenCreature
Regular

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

That's great to hear :)

Hopefully you can get a working demo out soon, so people can try it out for themselves.

WhiteWolf93

#5 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

Today I did a lot too, I just wanted to let all of you know that tomorrow I'm starting working on the event editor (I'm starting today but tomorrow will feature the dialogues i think).

Now, today's update:

Fast Pic: http://puu.sh/iqkWi.png

-A better and improved GUI.
-There are 4 different color themes for the editor: Default (the pink one), Light, Dark and Blue, my favorite is the light, there is a preview of it in the picture.
-Fully functional asset viewer, this not only means that you can preview files, you will be able to put movies, scenes and anything in your project.
-Fully functional story system (finally), scenes will save the events so you can organize them, you can change the name of any chapter or scene, you can make routes with it, for example "Chapter 4: Miho's Route", you know.
-Some bugs fixed.
-Event editor slightly functional, as you can see in the picture I changed how it looks, thats not because I didn't like how the other version was, the reason is that combo box are more suitables for this kind of things, I think it looks cool anyway :3.

Ah, about @HiddenCreature's suggestion, I made a sketch, you will be able to edit the game on runtime, that means that you can have the game opened anytime and make little changes and scroll through events until you are satisfied with the result.

At last, I should say that I took a look to Tyranobuilder and I'm not gonna release a true alpha until I think it is a certain level to compete with it.

The first versions I'll release will be InDev, I will give more information when the version is ready.

By the way... Why is only one person posting? :/

HiddenCreature
Regular

#6 Post by HiddenCreature »

Awesome! I like the idea of being able to add movies and stuff, too. I'm seeing a lot of potential here.

Lol, don't take it personal. You posted in the "Other Visual Novel Engines" subforum, which people don't visit as much compared to "General Discussion" or "Works in Progress."

WhiteWolf93

#7 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

HiddenCreature wrote:Awesome! I like the idea of being able to add movies and stuff, too. I'm seeing a lot of potential here.

Lol, don't take it personal. You posted in the "Other Visual Novel Engines" subforum, which people don't visit as much compared to "General Discussion" or "Works in Progress."
Yeah I dont look the other forums too much because I'm usually busy... I put it here because i thought it was the best place for it, maybe I should have posted it in other subforum?

Btw Potential or not without feedback cant know about that xD, many of you in this forum uses other visual novel engines and thats why I need feedback from here.

Maybe I should upload a version soon so people will be a bit more interested? But there are not too much to do with it right now...

HiddenCreature
Regular

#8 Post by HiddenCreature »

No, if you post elsewhere, the mods will put it back here because it's the most appropriate subforum.

Yeah, if you can post a form of demo, go right ahead. It's not finished, but there were other engines posted here that weren't done either. It was a chance to get, as you said, valuable feedback.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#9 Post by fleet »

Will games produced with this be cross-platform? Specifically will it produces separaate version that can run on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers?
Does it produce games that use html (browser-based)?
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

WhiteWolf93

#10 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

fleet wrote:Will games produced with this be cross-platform? Specifically will it produces separaate version that can run on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers?
Does it produce games that use html (browser-based)?
No, it will be for Windows only, I can't do nothing about that sorry.

I took a look to all the extensions I'm using to make it and most can go Windows, Ios and Android but the most important can't go crossplatform, by the way I dont have the right version to export it to any other platform.

Maybe in the future I can do something about that, by the way the editor will be open source, maybe somebody in the future will find out a way, but thats nothing I can do at the moment.

WhiteWolf93

#11 Post by WhiteWolf93 »

Update or bump xD

As I said, I started working on the event system, and it works! Yeah, this is a list of new features:

-TONS of bugs and important bugs solved.
-Event System basically working (You can make new events, edit them and remove them).
-Dialogs with voices, text color and name.
-Change, Play and Stop music.
-Scroll quickly through events and abilitie to edit on runtime!

Picture showing the new features: http://puu.sh/isMKx.jpg

I'll work on remove the last bugs that make the editor crash and some new features to the event editor (like cut, copy, paste, insert event above your selected event) and then I will start making all the events and the database.

I'm starting to work in the github page by the way so after the database starts working I'm gonna upload a first version, just remember its only an indev and its only for testing purposes until it becomes usable.

Drewz
Regular

#12 Post by Drewz »

This look really great ! I can't wait 'till the demo is out ! This software has so much potential <3 And Open Source o/ *-*

SeventhStranger
Regular

#13 Post by SeventhStranger »

I'm also looking forward to trying the demo. I think people will be able to give some suggestions once we're able to try it out for ourselves. :)

akareed
Regular
Projects: Noted @ website

#14 Post by akareed »

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and its progresses!
Being Win-only was a bit of a downer to me, but I'm still looking forward for the demo!

naruzeldamaster
Deviantart: Naruzeldamaster

#15 Post by naruzeldamaster »

I am excited to see this since I just purchased the program off of humble bundle (thank god, considering the actual price of the software.) and I was looking for a VN engine that I could use.
This looks amazing and powerful, it does have potential to compete with VN makers (it already kinda blows Tyranobuilder out of the water with it's simplicity) and I'm sure this will be great once finished.
In the meantime I will wait for VN Maker to come out and use that, but I am certainly excited to see a well made engine.
Compared to what you see on steam workshop engine wise it is very well done.