Sandbox Adventure - Game releases

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

Sandbox Adventure - Game releases

#1 Post by DrSchizo »

:!: Since more and more games are being released, I'm going to post Sandbox Adventure's updates in two different thread: engine development and game releases (this post).

Sandbox Adventure is a new online visual novel engine. It is responsive and works on any device connected to internet (desktops, tablets and mobiles).
Most games made with Ren'Py can be easily converted to Sandbox Adventure (between half a day and two/three days of work).
Soon, all games made with Sandbox Adventure will be exportable as a Ren'Py project in one click. You will still have to make the GUI though!

You will find in this thread all the game releases.

Some useful links:

The engine is not a commercial project in itself. All converted games fully belong to their authors and are accessible for free.

Don't hesitate to make Honest Critique. Constructive feedbacks are always welcome, even negative ones!

Last edited by DrSchizo on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: Sandbox Adventure - convert your Ren'Py game to HTML5

#2 Post by firecat »

thats so cool

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

DrSchizo
Regular

#3 Post by DrSchizo »

I'm glad you like it =)

The first three stories are Fetish: Wanted, Fest-off! and Wanted: Dragon

FETISH: WANTED

A Fetish's spin-off game that can be played without having seen the previous games.
It has 5 endings and 10,939 words.
Set in a high school alternate universe, Hexia received a letter from Vier's high school principal, requesting her to interview some students for a reason unstated. Bored as she always is, she accepted the request without hesitation and her poor butler, Cain, got dragged along.

FEST-OFF

An Hakuoki fan game. It has 2 endings and 6,782 words.
Many know that Shinpachi and Yamazaki from Hakuoki don't have routes and IDEA FACTORY has released mini games with these characters, but we wanted something more.

That's where Fest-off comes in, a non-profit fan-made linear game by two fans. You attend a festival celebration with your choice of Shinpachi or Yamazaki and have fun plus fluffy moments that are written true to the characters from the game.

WANTED: DRAGON
Chrysandra is the crowned princess of Novaria, but she is not first in line for the throne. To rectify that grave injustice she has decided to get even with the whole kingdom and get a dragon to help her in her mad grab for power (or in burning the place to the ground).

Of course procuring a dragon for her evil schemes is not always easy, and with a do-gooder mage hindering her, she might have to think about very crafty ways to get what she wants.

Will she succeed? Will she fail? Will she fall in love?
It is a much longer adventure than the two other one, with more 33,401 words.

Last edited by DrSchizo on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

#4 Post by DrSchizo »

Magical Otoge Ciel is now available on Sandbox Adventure.
Ciel is a princess who has never been allowed to leave her kingdom. Along with her loyal knight and bodyguard, she decides to follow her dreams of seeing the world.

It’s a very pure story so expect fluff, but know there is mild blood for a short time in the game.
It is the longest converted novel yet, with 71,155 words and 3 endings.

NEW SHORTCUTS

Moreover, there are now few shortcuts available:
  • SPACE: next dialog
  • PAUSE: skip/unskip texte
  • ESCAPE: open the menu
Last edited by DrSchizo on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

#5 Post by DrSchizo »

The website is now responsive... at least I hope so since I could only tried on only one smartphone :roll:

All games but Fest-off! have background music. I've noticed that most music are not played on the smartphone I used, even if the game provided two format (mp3 and ogg) and should therefore be compatible with most browsers. What is most disturbing is that some sounds are played and some other aren't... Maybe some are not properly encoded :?

If some smartphone owners could take the time to test this, I would be really grateful! Thanks in advance :)

Next step: providing specific resized images on mobile in order to save user bandwidth!

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#6 Post by Alte »

DrSchizo wrote:All games but Fest-off! have background music. I've noticed that most music are not played on the smartphone I used, even if the game provided two format (mp3 and ogg) and should therefore be compatible with most browsers. What is most disturbing is that some sounds are played and some other aren't... Maybe some are not properly encoded :?
Have you tried switching mp3 with m4a? With m4a (AAC audio) and ogg the audio should be able to play even on older browsers from 2011.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

DrSchizo
Regular

#7 Post by DrSchizo »

Thanks for the tips. I've tried, but with no success. It might be a problem with the smartphone I used, though. It is an old one.

Can someone with a smartphone tell me if he/she can read the three files that are at the bottom of this page, please? The second music is mp3 while the third one is m4a.

Can one see as well if a music starts playing on this game when the first character appear on screen?

That would be great! Thanks a lot! :wink:

DrSchizo
Regular

#8 Post by DrSchizo »

There are several new features:
  • normal, fast and ultra-fast skipping (respectively ctrl, ctrl+shift and ctrl+>)
  • text history in case you skipped to much text ;) (F2)
  • in game shortcut list (F1)
Moreover, Melos in now available on Sandbox Adventure.
Picture Archaic Greece.

A strange and ambivalent time and land. Most of the country is uncivilized, a chain of city-states, yet the isles on the other side of the sea have been colonized. Socrate's great-great-grandfather is not born yet, but art is flourishing and the Odyssey a scholar classic. Many conceptions about Ancient Greece are already true, but much more are not, for the best and the worst.

Melos is a short story about the relationship between two young women in this blooming world, with poetry, paintings and other art forms the ancient Greeks were fond of.

Enjoy!

DrSchizo
Regular

#9 Post by DrSchizo »

That wasn't easy, but the engine is now graphically fully responsive :D

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Amazing!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

DrSchizo
Regular

#11 Post by DrSchizo »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :D

My Cup of Coffee in now available on Sandbox Adventure.
You are the owner of Cafe Latte.

When two of your regular customers seem in a bit of relationship trouble, will you be able to uncover what is really happening?

Will you save their relationship?
It has 3 endings and 9,034 words.

The game is very atypical since the player successively interrogates several characters. There is no route to take, just many (many) questions. It was very difficult to convert because of its highly extensive use of calls but after days of really hard work, I finally nailed it 8)

Last edited by DrSchizo on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

#12 Post by DrSchizo »

Fairly Dangerous in now available on Sandbox Adventure.
We've seen it before: human gets put in a new fantasy environment and the natural world helps enlighten him to the harshness of an industry.

But what happens when the opposite takes place? Five tiny fairy friends are about to find out. Hiding in a hiker's backpack, they get taken away from the Enchanted Forest they call home and taken to a rank apartment. Now they have to avoid hazards like microwaves, rat traps, and more. Can you make it out of this fairly dangerous place alive?

This is a dark comedy visual novel with horror and tragicomedy elements. This is not for the squeamish.
Features:
  • 22,857 words
  • 16 Endings
  • Cruel Deaths
  • Many Ways to Die, Few Ways to Survive
  • Pretty Fairies
  • The Return of Most of the Folks Who Brought You The Mishka Effect Last Year!
Last edited by DrSchizo on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

#13 Post by DrSchizo »

Hi,

I'm thinking about adding content to the Sandbox Adventure website by creating one presentation page for each game.

The following informations are already displayed for each game:
  • title
  • one-line pitch
  • one screenshot
  • short description
  • number of endings
  • number of words
  • authors list
  • link to lemmasoft thread
  • website (if exists)
I'm thinking about adding new informations:
  • keywords: GxB, GxG, romance, mystery, kinetic, nanoreno...
  • release date
  • screenshot galery
  • average reading time (in minutes)
  • rating (13+, ...)
  • warning
  • user comments/reviews
  • user rating
I have few questions:
  • Do you think some information are missing or others are useless?
  • Should the user rating be only one global rate (out of ten) or separate into different categories (story, graphism, audio, length)?
What do you think about it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#14 Post by PyTom »

I'd strongly suggest not having user ratings on your site. As someone hosting the game for download, you don't want to get into a position where someone pulls their game from your site due to bad reviews and ratings. It's best to leave that sort of thing to third parties.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DrSchizo
Regular

#15 Post by DrSchizo »

Thanks for the advice! The user rating could have been a good way to sort the games but you're right it won't be nice for authors to have a game displayed at the bottom of the list. I don't like ranking any way since it is not a competition. Maybe the game should simply be displayed randomly, with the possibility for the user to chose other sorting value like date of release or length of the game.

Or the rating could be replaced by a simple like button. It will give the possibility to sort the game by likes, but without having the negative impact of a possible bad rate.

Reviews are not the right word. I was more thinking about simple comments like the ones you can find on this forum. I've read many threads and I've never seen any negative critics, but constructive ones. Since there won't be any ratings, comments are a good way for a player to decide if he/she wants to play to this game or not. I will put a link to the lemmasoft thread as well, but most people might want to have some comments directely on the page.
Last edited by DrSchizo on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.