[Unity] Visual Novel Engine

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
DeeCeptor
Projects: Triple-M
Organization: Foolish Mortals

[Unity] Visual Novel Engine

#1 Post by DeeCeptor »

Hi. A while ago I started working on a visual novel using Unity. I wanted to use Unity because it allowed us to add more 'game-like' sections to our novel (in our case, a point and click examination of rooms, like in Pheonix Wright) but was very disappointed in the offerings for VN's in the Unity Asset Store, so I made my own framework.
If someone would be willing to give some constructive feedback for my asset, I'd be happy to give out a free download code.

The asset is meant to be very easy to use, and involves right clicking and navigating sub-menus to add VN elements to your project.

Asset Store
Documentation

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

Re: [Unity] Visual Novel Engine

#2 Post by netravelr »

That's nice, but what makes this better than say, Fungus? (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34184)

I'm also worried about the number of objects needed to be created, say if you were creating a game of 100k words or something like a VN may very well have if all of the objects need to exist at the same time. Also if you wanted to add in localization it may be a hassle in this format, but for simple projects/cutscenes I could see this being used for sure.

You may look into adding a Save/Load feature in addition to rollback as those tend to not be available with other VN assets on the store and could help you stand out.

Good luck with your project!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

DeeCeptor
Projects: Triple-M
Organization: Foolish Mortals

Re: [Unity] Visual Novel Engine

#3 Post by DeeCeptor »

Thanks for your comments, netravelr.

I haven't tried Fungus myself, but since I see that it's free I'll try it out. Probably the reason I didn't notice Fungus was that its name isn't the most descriptive in what it's supposed to do.

I personally prefer having a an object for each component, as you can name each object and it is easier to come back to edit, but I can understand that it could be a lot of objects. They are organized under parent objects called conversations, so they don't all need to be expanded so your hierarchy window isn't super cluttered. There is also an alternative option where you can simply add a component to an object, instead of creating one object for one component.

Localization is indeed a hassle in this format. As there are many different localization assets available, I didn't bother to tackle that problem.

Saving and loading is a feature that I'm working on, and will be available in an update soon. A rollback feature would be interesting. It does already keep a log of all dialogue, so rollback wouldn't be that hard to implement. Good idea!

Thanks again for your feedback.