Sandbox Adventure - Story editor available!

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

Sandbox Adventure - Story editor available!

#1 Post by DrSchizo »

Hi,

i've made a quick demo explaining a little bit more what Sandbox Adventure can do.

The asset manager and the story editor of this demo are accessible HERE.
You can find the documentation HERE.

Since this page is accessible by everybody without password and I'm -almost- not crazy, no modification will be saved. So feel free to click on any button. If I did it right, it shouldn't mess up anything ;)

As you can see, the syntax is highly inspired from Ren'Py. It has been slightly modified to fasten the writing process. There is for example no need to write the speechs between quotes.

You can not yet create your own project without my intervention. But, if you want to start working on a new game with this editor (ie for NaNoRenO), feel free to contact me. I can set everything up pretty fast.

Sandbox Adventure is a new engine still on active development. New features are added regulary. Don't hesitate to contact me if you think an important feature is missing.

Don't hesitate to make Honest Critique. Constructive feedbacks are always welcome, even negative ones!

Oh, and sorry for the typos!
Last edited by DrSchizo on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

Re: Sandbox Adventure - Story editor available!

#2 Post by DrSchizo »

Oooops, no modification were indeed saved in the database but sprite removal was still possible. I ended up with two missing sprites.

Now, it's fine, you should be really able to click on everything without risk.

Sorry to everybody that saw the demo without the two sprites! :oops:

Drewz
Regular

#3 Post by Drewz »

I have a really slow and buggy ADSL that won't let me do anything on the cloud without taking quite the risk of it not saving everything when the net stops now and then (and it does; often). I really liked the interface and syntax tho, it's so bad!
Is it possible to make a local editor with an export option? Like a downloadable version of the editor we'd be able to download and store in a local server to build the game; then when it's done we'd just export it to Sandbox ADV? It'll be so cool *-*

Ps : I do know that we kinda can just use Ren'Py to create the game locally then export to SADV (That's how i'm gonna refer to it from now on xD). It's just that SADV's editor & syntax seemed better to me :3

DrSchizo
Regular

#4 Post by DrSchizo »

Thanks for the interest you show in this editor!

The framework is made in a server side language (PHP) and save information in a MySQL database. PHP is made to be used on a server, not as an standalone application. You can't make out an executable from PHP. On a client computer, it has to work along with a web development environment like Wamp. There is a standalone version of Wamp called UwAmp so it is technicaly possible to create a package including UwAmp + the SQL database + the PHP code.

Unfortunately, making the PHP code and the database structure available to anyone is also a strong security issue. PHP obfuscators do exist but I'm not sure it will work correctely with my code. It might need a lot of debugging for compatibility issue. Moreover, all PHP obfuscation methods are either reversable or only make the code less legible by renaming variables. So a hacker could still technically read it. Besides, I don't know any solution to encrypt a SQL database. Since hackers use widely SQL injection technics, knowing the database structure is a huge help to hack a website. Of course, I've built protections against such attacks but there are always security breaches.

So I don't know if it would be wise to share the code now. Are there some PHP developpers here that could help me on this issue? I will investigate this question further since a standalone version would be definitely great, but it is unfortunately not my priority yet. There are so much other things to do!

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gas »

Uhm... it is just me or "show me some visual feature" actually doesn't work?
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

DrSchizo
Regular

#6 Post by DrSchizo »

gas wrote:Uhm... it is just me or "show me some visual feature" actually doesn't work?
DrSchizo wrote:Oooops, no modification were indeed saved in the database but sprite removal was still possible. I ended up with two missing sprites.
My mistake: there were as well one missing background. The visual feature part starts with a location change, that failed because of the missing background. I didn't see it because my browser cached the images. :?

Sorry for this new bug and thank you a lot for telling me. The demo is now working properly again!

Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

#7 Post by Neeka »

I've been looking for something like this! Renpy code is a bit too difficult for me. I've been using Cloudnovel but I like the option of being able to submit to Newsgrounds/ possible payment. I would really like to give using this a try if you wouldn't mind. Keep up the good work! ^^

DrSchizo
Regular

#8 Post by DrSchizo »

Great :D

I've sent a private message about this!

DrSchizo
Regular

#9 Post by DrSchizo »

Since Neeka is going to try the editor, I had to write a short documentation presenting the basic functions.

You can find it here: http://sandbox-adventure.com/faq/quick-start-guide.html

ricpelo

#10 Post by ricpelo »

Hi!

I'm unable to play the demo game. I get database-related error messages like the following:
<Edited>
Or:
<Edited>
Any ideas? Thanks!
Last edited by ricpelo on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrSchizo
Regular

#11 Post by DrSchizo »

Strange, do you still have the problem? Can you as well edit your last message and remove the SQL error. You shouldn't be able to see them since it gives critical information about the database structure. Thank you!

ricpelo

#12 Post by ricpelo »

DrSchizo wrote:Strange, do you still have the problem? Can you as well edit your last message and remove the SQL error. You shouldn't be able to see them since it gives critical information about the database structure. Thank you!
Sure, done! Sorry for the delay :).