Visual Novelty: BGM Crossfade Issue

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Erotome
Regular
Projects: Paws & Effect, RE4: Otome Edition
Organization: Shimmersoft
Tumblr: erotomesoft
Deviantart: Erotome

Visual Novelty: BGM Crossfade Issue

#1 Post by Erotome »

Hey there,

While implementing BGM tracks in Novelty, I've encountered an issue where a track set to crossfade into another will spike in volume before fading away, rather than simply fade away at its current volume. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my settings or computer, and browsing the Novelty forums didn't provide much in the way of a specific solution. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Play the demo our latest game, Paws & Effect: My Dogs Are Human!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Visual Novelty: BGM Crossfade Issue

#2 Post by fleet »

I don't use the crossfade option, but I think it's a problem with Novelty. I've encountered something similar when I forget to use the Stop BGM action. I've run Novelty on separate computers, with Windows XP and Windows 7.
The work around is to use the "Stop BGM" action before issuing a new "Play BGM" action.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Erotome
Regular

#3 Post by Erotome »

Thanks for the response again, fleet. Yeah, I tried using the Stop BGM action before initiating a new track, but that same issue occurs as the crossfade. It's weird - for something so apparent, I would have thought there'd be more talk about it on the Novelty forums (maybe I'm assuming too much). I wonder if it's a codec issue, or how Novelty interacts with the OS... so have you gotten the BGM to play normally before? I'm just trying to figure out my options.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by fleet »

@Erotome,
I don't use crossfade, and I try to have at least two actions between when one BGM ends and a new one begins. 8oni is the smartest person I know who still uses Novelty. He is active at deviantart (http://8oni.deviantart.com/). If I can't answer a question he probably can.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Erotome
Regular

#5 Post by Erotome »

Thanks, fleet. I did find a workaround, actually, after much hassle. Basically, I had to tweak the Master Volume and BGM volume in the Novel Properties to be very low, and keep the BGM's volume relatively high, and that seemed to negate the spiking volume effect. It's strange, but it worked.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by fleet »

Erotome wrote:Thanks, fleet. I did find a workaround, actually, after much hassle. Basically, I had to tweak the Master Volume and BGM volume in the Novel Properties to be very low, and keep the BGM's volume relatively high, and that seemed to negate the spiking volume effect. It's strange, but it worked.
I'm glad you found a solution. Can I post it in the Novelty forums (giving you credit)?

Erotome
Regular

#7 Post by Erotome »

Yeah, absolutely. Those forums seem kinda dead, but hopefully someone will find it helpful. I'll add that I still followed your advice of using "Stop BGM" and setting the fade out to a few seconds, but it seemed like using the crossfade option also worked. So it's more about how much control you want over the fade.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by fleet »

Erotome wrote:Yeah, absolutely. Those forums seem kinda dead, but hopefully someone will find it helpful. I'll add that I still followed your advice of using "Stop BGM" and setting the fade out to a few seconds, but it seemed like using the crossfade option also worked. So it's more about how much control you want over the fade.

Okay, I posted it there.