patting head & touching, how?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
dexoey

patting head & touching, how?

#1 Post by dexoey »

Hi folks,

I wanna start developing my first VN game and need your help. I'm newbie and don't have much experience in cording (except HTML and very basic of Java).

You probably know about the game "Life With A Slave -Teaching Feeling". It's is more interactive compared with other VN games and has a nice feature names Pat Head, which enables the user to touch the main character. I have to implement this feature in my game. Can I implement it with Novelty software? or, what is the easiest way & tool to do so?

Useful Tutorials are welcomed!

Thanks
Attachments
1d93866972f0faa49368a0ae9bd1de0f-320x200.jpg
1d93866972f0faa49368a0ae9bd1de0f-320x200.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: patting head & touching, how?

#2 Post by fleet »

One way would be to make a video and then use a button or hotspot to go to a page containing the video.
There are probably other ways to do it, such as having the arm be a sprite on a screen that only shows when a button or hot spot is clicked.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Erotome
Regular
Projects: Paws & Effect, RE4: Otome Edition
Organization: Shimmersoft
Tumblr: erotomesoft
Deviantart: Erotome

#3 Post by Erotome »

To follow up on fleet's post, you could possibly do something like this:

> Set the character's arm as its own actor (you'll of course have to crop it the right way so that it can be positioned how you want on screen when the actor "enters" the scene)
> Create your page where the character to be tapped is on screen (the character could be part of the background if you want to keep it simple)
> Create a hotspot over the character's head
> Direct the hotspot to go to a new page
> On this new page, have the "arm" actor enter the scene, appearing in a custom location over the character's head
> If you want the arm to be animated to look like it's raising up and down over the character's head, you could:

> Go into Designer and right-click on the "arm" actor
> Select Add Child > Traits
> On the "Traits" child that appears, right-click and add "animate position" (x) and/or (y) depending on the effect you want. You can then dictate how the arm will move when on-screen.

When the scene is over, have a "change page" action that moves on with the story.

It's roundabout, but it might serve your purposes. Let us know if you think of anything different!
Play the demo our latest game, Paws & Effect: My Dogs Are Human!

dexoey

#4 Post by dexoey »

Erotome wrote:To follow up on fleet's post, you could possibly do something like this:

> Set the character's arm as its own actor (you'll of course have to crop it the right way so that it can be positioned how you want on screen when the actor "enters" the scene)
> Create your page where the character to be tapped is on screen (the character could be part of the background if you want to keep it simple)
> Create a hotspot over the character's head
> Direct the hotspot to go to a new page
> On this new page, have the "arm" actor enter the scene, appearing in a custom location over the character's head
> If you want the arm to be animated to look like it's raising up and down over the character's head, you could:

> Go into Designer and right-click on the "arm" actor
> Select Add Child > Traits
> On the "Traits" child that appears, right-click and add "animate position" (x) and/or (y) depending on the effect you want. You can then dictate how the arm will move when on-screen.

When the scene is over, have a "change page" action that moves on with the story.

It's roundabout, but it might serve your purposes. Let us know if you think of anything different!
Thanks.
Shall I do this with Novelty, or is there easier tool for this? Also, is there any video & graphical tutorial for that?

I don't think Patting Technique is a professional term for this feature :D What do designers call this technique in VN?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

No idea about novelty, but it's definitely possible with Ren'py.

Although it depends on how animated you want to make the character. For a fully animated character with Live2D (which is what they did with the skinshipping in Fire Emblem) you would have to export each animation and make them into movie sprites. Then you would show a screen with some transparent imagebuttons corresponding to where you can press. Pressing said imagebutton would cause the game to jump to a branch with a certain animation and then maybe back to the idle animation branch if its not over yet. You can track how many times a certain part was pressed with variables.