Visual Novel Novelty Help

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
AshleighKate

Visual Novel Novelty Help

#1 Post by AshleighKate »

Hi guys! So I'm getting really desperate here. I've just completed my first version of my very first visual novel/game and I want to post it publicly for people to test. I used the visual novel maker "Novelty" so naturally in order to post it, I had to compress it to a ZIP file. So I did so but when my friends download the ZIP on their computer and unlock it and try to click the Shortcut in the file ("Play Game - Shortcut") to launch the game, it comes up with an error message that says "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Novelty1 (Dantae Game)\Novelty Dantae Game\Build\Play Game.exe The specified path does not exist. Check the path then try again"

I had exported my VN in Novelty and under the "build" folder where the exported file was stored, I created a shortcut to open the game. This shortcut works fine on my computer. It's just when I try to send it to others it doesn't work.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks =)

P.s here is the link that my friends tried to download. https://ashleighkate.itch.io/arcadia-test

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

Re: VISUAL NOVEL NOVELTY HELP

#2 Post by FonaCall »

Hm... They may have put the folder in a different location in their computers or something.

For this, you could just tell them to put the folder in their desktop (making sure the Build folder is in a folder named Novelty Dantae Game and that folder is in a folder named Novelty1 (Dantae Game)). Either that, or have them make their own shortcut to Play Game.exe (or have them just open Play Game.exe).
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: VISUAL NOVEL NOVELTY HELP

#3 Post by firecat »

it works fine to me, also one more thing you dont need to upload all of novelty to have the game, only the build file by renaming it. i tested the game, it does have bugs like it says, as well as a few questionable arrows being placed at textbox while the textbox is still around.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Visual Novel Novelty Help

#4 Post by fleet »

Hi. I use Novelty. Your zipped file is 600 MB. I would guess that when your friend tried to download it that the connection timed out. I'll try to download it and check the contents.
While I wait for it to download, I'll offer this bit of advice. I'd recommend you give serious consideration to reducing the size of the files in your visual novel. Music files often take up a huge amount of file space. You can use a sound file editor to shorten the playing time of music files, and then tell Novelty to 'loop' them.

EDIT: I downloaded it and looked at the unzipped contents. It's what firecat said, I suggest you create a new folder on your hard drive and export the game to that folder, and then zip it.
I'd recommend NOT including a shortcut file to the zipped file.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.