Novelty Urgent Help needed

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
MakinBaconBot

Novelty Urgent Help needed

#1 Post by MakinBaconBot »

So I made a game in Novelty and I export it however when I try to run all it says is
[Error] Unable to load project
and nothing else
I have spent days on this and it suddenly not working
and it's not my system cause I can export other things perfectly fine and run them but this one is just not working
even the developer of Novelty ignored me

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Novelty Urgent Help needed

#2 Post by fleet »

Hello.
I had a similar problem. Here's how I solved it.

Go to the folder where you exported the game, and see if there is a file named log.txt
The contents of that file might give you a clue.

Does your game play successfully when you click on the "Play novel from current page" button?
Using the "Play novel from current page" button, does your game play all the way from start to finish without crashing? If it crashes, there is an error in your .nov file at the crash point.

If your game plays successfully under the above scenario, does it play if you use the "Play novel from beginning" button? In this scenario, does your game play all the way from start to finish without crashing? If it crashes, there is an error in your .nov file at the crash point.

If your game plays successfully under both of the above scenarios, does it play if you use the "Play novel as standalone" button? In this scenario, does your game play all the way from start to finish without crashing? If it crashes, there is an error in your .nov file at the crash point.

If none of the above helps you identify where the error is, here's what I suggest.

1. Make a copy of your nov file in the same directory as your current nov file. Do NOT use novelty's "File Save As" function to do this; use Windows' copy-paste function.
2. In Novelty, open the COPY you just made. See if the copy will play under any of the above scenarions.
3. If it still won't play or run when exported, go to the last chapter of the COPY of your game and delete that chapter. Export your game and see if it works. If so, the error is in the last chapter. The solution is do remake the last chapter. If it still doesn't work, delete chapters one by one starting at the end of the game and test after each deletion.

If none of the above suggestions solve the problem, export your game to a new folder on your hard drive, zip the contents of that folder, upload it to a file hosting service, then either post the link here or send it to me via PM.

Very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MakinBaconBot

#3 Post by MakinBaconBot »

The play from current page and play from start buttons both work however
Using the "Play novel as stand-alone game" makes the game run however all that appears is one color that fills the entire screen
the opening text still appears over it though and the start button is still pressable although not seen
using the console on stand-alone game says
Failed to load texture resource: 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469'
Image named 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469': Texture asset 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469' is invalid or doesn't exist

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by fleet »

MakinBaconBot wrote:The play from current page and play from start buttons both work however
Using the "Play novel as stand-alone game" makes the game run however all that appears is one color that fills the entire screen
the opening text still appears over it though and the start button is still pressable although not seen
using the console on stand-alone game says
Failed to load texture resource: 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469'
Image named 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469': Texture asset 'meteor_no_sunset1100x469' is invalid or doesn't exist
It appears that meteor_no_sunset1100x469 is the problem. Open your game in Novelty, locate all places where the game uses meteor_no_sunset1100x469 and delete it. Then see if the game works.
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MakinBaconBot

#5 Post by MakinBaconBot »

The game works it's just that no textures at all are loading
not just meteor_no_sunset1100x469
is there a reason for this

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by fleet »

MakinBaconBot wrote:The game works it's just that no textures at all are loading
not just meteor_no_sunset1100x469
is there a reason for this
Did you import the assets?
It could be that the textures are not in the correct novelty folder, although if the same textures work in other games this probably is not the reason. Textures should be located in the Assets folder in a sub-folder name Textures.
Without actually seeing the exported game files I can't say for sure what the problem is.

MakinBaconBot

#7 Post by MakinBaconBot »

The textures are in the Assests > textures folder and have been inmported into the game twice now but there still not there

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by fleet »

If you've done all of the things I've suggested, without seeing your project files I can't give you any additional advice.

MakinBaconBot

#9 Post by MakinBaconBot »

would you like to me to send the entire folder of the game for you

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by fleet »

MakinBaconBot wrote:would you like to me to send the entire folder of the game for you
If you've done everything I suggested (including the deleting chapters starting at the end of the game and working forwards), sending me your project files is probably the only way I can see what's wrong.

It will probably take a few days for me to get back to you (I have a busy weekend).

MakinBaconBot

#11 Post by MakinBaconBot »

I have found the issue as it was in chapter 3.
Thank you for your contribution

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by fleet »

MakinBaconBot wrote:I have found the issue as it was in chapter 3.
Thank you for your contribution
I'm glad you found the issue. :D