Visual Novel Maker, from the creators of RPG Maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Visual Novel Maker, from the creators of RPG Maker

#1 Post by Morhighan »

Looks like there's going to be a new engine on the market soon from Degica, the creator of the RPG Maker series.

Official Press Kit Here

Some features:
-free to use assets
-dynamic creation tools aimed at artists and writers
-Live2D and Voice Sync Support
-scripting and extensions of user-integrated functionality
-multiple resolution support
-easy game localization support
-share your game with multiple export options

Thoughts?

I found out about it through this Silicon Era article, which has more information.

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

Re: Visual Novel Maker, from the creators of RPG Maker

#2 Post by BáiYù »

Looks and sounds similar to what TyranoBuilder is trying to accomplish, so time will tell which one is better to use in terms of Live2D or other features. I'm also curious to know if they're able to allow integration with some of their other engines (ie. RPGMaker MV). I'm sure that being able to merge a VNMaker game with RPG elements would be popular.

But for the time being, I'm satisfied enough with Ren'Py to not shell out any cash for another VN engine any time soon.
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

psy_wombats
Regular

#3 Post by psy_wombats »

Yeah I saw this and was curious where they saw their market. There are a bunch of free tools out there that are powerful and flexible (ren'py being one of them) that it wouldn't make too much sense for any medium or large indie projects, just because the learning curve on those tools isn't bad at all. For single-person or small projects by mostly non-technical people, Tyranobuilder is out there for cheap and seems to accomplish the same things. Twine and other free tools all have non-scripting interfaces as well.

So I guess that leaves the built-in graphics? Which while appealing for an RPG startup kit, I don't really understand it from a visual novel perspective where distinctive characters are a good chunk of the content. The same character sprites might end up looking a little strange. Guess we'll see.
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

My thoughts: the Live2D and voice sync support sound amazing. This engine could be the better alternative to Tyranobuilder and a true contender to Ren'py. But it depends if the UI has the same customizability as Ren'py and I'm banking on "no".

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#5 Post by firecat »

Well bad news guys, the owner told everyone at r/visualnovel that its being build on Unity. As you know Unity is not exactly up to date with 2D programs. Also the Plug-in is being sold on Steam which means pay to use. Other 2D engine are better suited than Unity.

Oh and if you don't like what i'm saying than who was the guy who discover all of tyindiobuilder's bad side. It was me, while everyone else praise the software, i found the errors from the demo they given out. This new software is going to end up being worst than tyindiobuilder's code. If anything, the software might be a scam since you cant get your money back from steam.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Graff
Regular

#6 Post by Graff »

firecat wrote:As you know Unity is not exactly up to date with 2D programs.
How so?

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by firecat »

Graff wrote:
How so?
These should give you some insight:

http://www.teomaragakis.com/game-develo ... one-unity/

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MichalBe ... D_Game.php

psy_wombats
Regular

#8 Post by psy_wombats »

firecat wrote:Well bad news guys, the owner told everyone at r/visualnovel that its being build on Unity. As you know Unity is not exactly up to date with 2D programs. Also the Plug-in is being sold on Steam which means pay to use. Other 2D engine are better suited than Unity.

Oh and if you don't like what i'm saying than who was the guy who discover all of tyindiobuilder's bad side. It was me, while everyone else praise the software, i found the errors from the demo they given out. This new software is going to end up being worst than tyindiobuilder's code. If anything, the software might be a scam since you cant get your money back from steam.
Uhh I really don't follow. Degica isn't just "some random guy," they're a pretty well-known company and have been distributing their software via steam for a while.
...what? To me this just illustrates that Unity's 1) accessible to beginners and 2) powerful and flexible enough to deliver industrial-grade results. Hell, it's an industry leader.
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#9 Post by Alte »

Visual Novel Maker's license for free to use assets are likely to be used within it's own engine only.
By user-friendly interface, they must've incorporated 'what you see is what you get' where you're able to drag the object/ sprite on the screen and place it where you want it.
Those who are struggling with "hot spot" positioning or coordinating, it's a neat feature.
Their mascot, Metis, could be Eileen's long-lost sister | End of interpretation
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#10 Post by Rossfellow »

Alte wrote: Their mascot, Metis, could be Eileen's long-lost sister | End of interpretation
I want to believe!
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#11 Post by netravelr »

I wasn't looking forward to this until I just learned that they'll be using Unity, now I'm interested.

firecat wrote:
Graff wrote:
How so?
These should give you some insight:

http://www.teomaragakis.com/game-develo ... one-unity/
The link you're showing is 3 years old. Unity has 2D tools right now which are actually quite good. Very easy to work with for beginners, and will allow small teams to target all platforms.

My main concern is if their save/load system works as well as Ren'Py's and will it support adding in custom gameplay relatively easily, which is the only real thing that would make it easier to use than Fungus which is also available in Unity and can do Live2D but happens to be free...

I'll want to see more footage of the tool first before I make any judgement, but it's something to look into.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

#12 Post by KittyWills »

Looks like a decent enough system. I have personal issues with RPG Maker so I'll probably pass this one by. Unity is my beast of choice as well and I don't really see how this brings anything to the table that I can't already do with Fungus or Adventure Creator. But I'll keep my eyes on it.

Enigma
Veteran

#13 Post by Enigma »

I'll probably end up getting it cause I'm a sucker...that and I've been working on an RPG in RPG Maker but been trying to use VN style scenes and having some backgrounds would be nice, that and I'm a sucker.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#14 Post by curry nochi rice »

Delgica knows what the next generation of devs and players want. 2.5D is where it's all gonna meet before full-on 3D VR specific engines. Ah, what a good time to be alive.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by firecat »

psy_wombats wrote:
firecat wrote:Well bad news guys, the owner told everyone at r/visualnovel that its being build on Unity. As you know Unity is not exactly up to date with 2D programs. Also the Plug-in is being sold on Steam which means pay to use. Other 2D engine are better suited than Unity.

Uhh I really don't follow. Degica isn't just "some random guy," they're a pretty well-known company and have been distributing their software via steam for a while.
...what? To me this just illustrates that Unity's 1) accessible to beginners and 2) powerful and flexible enough to deliver industrial-grade results. Hell, it's an industry leader.
Never heard of them, they must be those crowdfunding developers who quit their jobs to make money. Let me Google them... yep nothing from google or Steam.

If you haven't guess already, Unity made up that title, just like how tyindiobuilder made people believe they made a fast VN engine.

I have never known a software that is consider perfect. You might just be a victim to their elaborate scam. Anyone who support Steam is supporting communism. They sold your data and they lie to get money.

I been searching for the best game engine for over 10 years, countless products, never-ending emails of the new engine, and many gone out of business for never considering everyone's feedback.

If they want people like me to review their products, they first need to leave steam or create a two way option for international groups.

At least two OS or web access because one OS causes problems for any future OS upgrades.

It must always update, if they never talk back then the program will be dead in a year or so.

Lastly, if any lies found, then i want my money back if its free than fix it. After 2 years of the same problems than the program will be considered a scam.

If this new engine can't do that than its never worth the time. The fact that they hid behind background is very suspicious. On Twitter they don't want to talk about it, so more confusing questions to give. Just don't trust someone because they have money and fame.