Visual Novel Maker, from the creators of RPG Maker

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

Re: Visual Novel Maker, from the creators of RPG Maker

#31 Post by Rossfellow »

Ah, not Unity? Bummer.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#32 Post by Alte »

@Darim
Thanks for the clarification! I'm not jack_norton. ^^;
-
Degica isn't making this point obvious as it sounds.
  • Scripting and extensions of user-integrated functionality
As in, could be, easy implementation of adding game mechanics. Take it with a grain of salt, there isn't any examples of what can be done yet. The feature description isn't clear either.

What's seen on RPG Maker like interaction scenes may very well be done in VN Maker. (status, choices, timer, etcetera.)
They would scrap the RPG component if it's not user-friendly but not to ignore completely.

Multiple export options are not mentioned as multi-platform or cross platform. If Linux or other software platforms isn't listed as an export option, how do consumers expect it to be truly multi-platform?
Last edited by Alte on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Darim
Regular
Organization: Setsuna Ken
Github: SetsunaKen

#33 Post by Darim »

Alte wrote:Degica isn't making this point obvious as it sounds.

Scripting and extensions of user-integrated functionality

As in, could be, easy implementation of adding game mechanics. Take it with a grain of salt, there isn't any examples of what can be done yet. The feature description isn't clear either.
Actually. there is an image of the script editor, but the code is only a placeholder :D

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#34 Post by Alte »

Darim wrote:
Alte wrote:Degica isn't making this point obvious as it sounds.

Scripting and extensions of user-integrated functionality

Actually. there is an image of the script editor, but the code is only a placeholder :D

Scratch that. ^^; Thanks for bringing it up!
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#35 Post by jack_norton »

Well I heard that even with Tyranobuilder you can customize your script bla bla. I haven't seen any complex game done with it either :wink:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#36 Post by Donmai »

No demo, a video that shows nothing, and an image of fake code. Could it be "vaporware" is back to business?
jack_norton wrote:Well I heard that even with Tyranobuilder you can customize your script bla bla.
The same was promised by Novelty years ago. Not wanting to derail this thread one more time, but programmers should take a look at this little program that's being developed at a snail pace: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24849 To me, it makes much more sense than trying to create a winner VN creator from scratch.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

psy_wombats
Regular

#37 Post by psy_wombats »

Donmai wrote:No demo, a video that shows nothing, and an image of fake code. Could it be "vaporware" is back to business?
jack_norton wrote:Well I heard that even with Tyranobuilder you can customize your script bla bla.
The same was promised by Novelty years ago. Not wanting to derail this thread one more time, but programmers should take a look at this little program that's being developed at a snail pace: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24849 To me, it makes much more sense than trying to create a winner VN creator from scratch.
The teaser only is probably just because it's an announcement, Degica's reliable enough that I wouldn't worry on if it's vaporware or not etc. But as far as whether it makes more sense or is more helpful to the community to make a new tool, the calculus is a little different because it's a corporate undertaking -- if there's a market for it, that there are viable alternatives doesn't really matter.
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by gas »

Leave WYSIWYG to 6 years old kids. The less of your game you see in early development, the better.
Free assets are a trap. You'll end to not use them if not for a homebrew demo (and they are not free at all).
Usually those scripting dialects are convoluted to the excess.
If someone can do a 2.5d correct timing animation and lipsync for an entire game , chances are will use his own studio engine, 'cause he's a PRO.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

#39 Post by hoihoisoi »

Being someone who has used RPGmaker back in the day, I'd think this VNMaker they're getting at would be of pretty good quality as well and it'll probably be a good starting program for beginners interested in making a good visual novel without too much coding involved. Although seeing as they also have an editor to implement code, I guess it could become an engine as powerful as ren'py with easier input functions and the likes. We'll have to check it out after it's come out to confirm it though.

But overall, I think what makes ren'py stand out compared to other engines is that there is a pretty thriving community here willing to help out beginners if they don't know how to code something or get something to work. Unless VNMaker has a support system like that, users would probably start to find it frustrating when they can't get a particular part of their project to function or look the way they want it to by looking through tutorials and the likes. In that sense, community support is for me, what makes ren'py good to use. There is a pretty friendly community here willing to help out new guys on the block for the most part.
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

TheOnlyKieran
Regular
Organization: NewWestGames
IRC Nick: TheOnlyKieran

#40 Post by TheOnlyKieran »

Live2D is becoming increasingly important to stand out in today's marketplace. If the slow-to-adopt Nintendo are using it, then that's enough evidence to me that it's almost required these days.

It's an interesting development, but I anticipate the same problems as Tyranobuilder - clunky saves and overall GUI issues which became a review nightmare for me personally. Being Degica, I expect them to fix it but it'll take time, and rely on the popularity of the product. Not so easy to predict.