Anyone with experience with javascript engines

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Anyone with experience with javascript engines

#16 Post by Divona »

Mimiruns wrote:So I tried doing it the new way, since you were right, the old way was outdated. But now all it does is just show code.

no nothing, just all the code that's in the file. I saved it as an HTML, was this wrong? If so, what file should I save it as to make it work?

Sorry about all of this, I am extremely new to all of this.
Save it as .xmlugly just like what it give you. Then open index.html on your web server to run it.
Completed:

C7N
Regular

Re: Anyone with experience with javascript engines

#17 Post by C7N »

Hi mimiruns,

I'm the creator of WebStory Engine. The guide you're using is outdated as the disclaimer says. Sorry about that. The old website for the engine crashed just when I released the new syntax and I couldn't get it to work so I now have to transfer all the old contents to the new website. :cry: I don't get notifications if you post here on Lemmasoft so I didn't see your thread sooner.

Here's the finished version of the game you were trying to build in the guide:
https://github.com/iiyo/wse-beginners-g ... master.zip

Download the file, extract it and put ALL the extracted files on your server. Then point your browser to where you put the files on your server to run the game.

You can then edit the file "story/scenes.xmugly" to change what happens in the story, and you can add or remove assets in "story/assets.xmugly".

I'll try to re-write the beginner's guide as soon as possible. I realize it's difficult for beginners to web development to deal with the server part -- making this as pain-free as possible is high on my list of things to do for the engine.

If you have any further questions: I will now get notified of replies to this thread. :)

EDIT:

The guide should now be up to date. If you still find any errors in it, please report them here, thanks!
WebStory Engine - Visual Novel Engine For The Web:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=16722