How do I change text speed in Novelty?

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Malabie
Tumblr: malabie

How do I change text speed in Novelty?

#1 Post by Malabie »

Hiya, guys!

Does anyone know how to adjust the speed for the text that appears in the dialogue box in Novelty?

I've been tinkering with it, but I can only make the text show up all at once, instead of one letter at a time. :? Sorry if there has already been a post like this, I looked over the forums and didn't find anything. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I suck and couldn't write a line of code to save my life, thus my choice to use Novelty. But I'm trying to learn the ropes.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: How do I change text speed in Novelty?

#2 Post by fleet »

Hello. I HATE writing code, so I also use Novelty.

I assume you are using the Sample User interface.

In Novelty, with your project open, look on the left side of your screen where you'll see some tabs that say Novel, Screens, and Scene. Click on the word Scene.
The area immediately beneath the words Novel, Screens, and Scene should change to a list.
Scroll up and down that list until you see the words Text: Paragraph. Click on those words to highlight them.
Now look a bit further down on the left side of your screen where you should see the Property Inspector box. Scroll down inside that box until you see the word Animation.
Immediately under the word animation you should see two blocks, one saying Type and the other saying Speed. On the right side of the Type box click on the down arrow. You should see the words None, Typewriter, Simple Fade, and Smooth Fade.
Click on the word Typewriter.
Now go to the Speed box. Change the number there to whatever you desire. Number of letters per second that will appear.

Thru the Novel Properties command you can set text speed, but I think the slowest you can set it there is ten letters per second.

Folks who have played stuff I've made seem to prefer text to appear all at once (animation set to 'None').
Do what you want; it's your visual novel.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Malabie
Tumblr: malabie

Re: How do I change text speed in Novelty?

#3 Post by Malabie »

HOLY MOLY, IT WORKED! Thank you so much!

As a fast reader myself, I also don't like waiting for each word to appear until a sentence is formed... But for some reason, no animation bothers me a bit. Personally, I think it looks slightly better if the text shows up at a quick pace on the screen; almost instantaneously, but not quite. Might be a tad nitpicky of me, though.

Also, it's good for a d r a m a t i c p a u s e in certain lines of dialogue...

But if it bothers people, I guess I could change it back. :) Thanks for the heads up.