RenPy Users have no respect for other VN engines

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Sonya
Veteran
Completed: Café Rouge, Skights, High School Otome
Deviantart: winechan

RenPy Users have no respect for other VN engines

#1 Post by Sonya »

So I found this visual novel today on CloudNovel:

http://cloudnovel.net/play?n=e444be1be5f

It was hard to spot since it only got 44 views, but honestly I am disappointed at how RenPy users act on my website.

The first few pages of this visual novel is "CloudNovel sucks, use RenPy"

I have used renpy and made visual novels with it, and almost all the moderators on CloudNovel have made visual novels with the RenPy engine. Even though we use CloudNovel for a majority of our visual novels, we understand RenPy has it's capabilities that CloudNovel doesn't. I do respect RenPy and all the capabilities it can provide to making visual novels.

I don't know what to say, I'm just really disappointed at how some users like to make fun of my website and say "CloudNovel sucks, use RenPy"

^^;

It just shows that SOME RenPy users have no respect for itself and other engines. :|
Last edited by Sonya on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: RenPy Users have no respect for other VN engines

#2 Post by indoneko »

It just shows that RenPy users have no respect for itself and other engines.
Well, imagine that I pretend to be a Cloudnovel user here and claim that Renpy sucks.
Then does my action automatically means that all and every cloudnovel user have no respect for themselves and other engines?

I respect your good intention (of reminding us to respect each other), but your phrasing might be translated differently by some people.
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Saying that all Renpy users dont have respect is like saying that all shoppers are shoplifters. There is no correlation between the actions of a few people and the actions of everyone.

Sonya
Veteran

#4 Post by Sonya »

indoneko wrote:
It just shows that RenPy users have no respect for itself and other engines.
Well, imagine that I pretend to be a Cloudnovel user here and claim that Renpy sucks.
Then does my action automatically means that all and every cloudnovel user have no respect for themselves and other engines?

I respect your good intention (of reminding us to respect each other), but your phrasing might be translated differently by some people.
Yes you're right, my phrasing probably wasn't the best. However, I would like to point out that I have not yet seen one CloudNovel user say something the lines of "RenPy sucks, use CloudNovel" on this forum. I have even brought some of my users to this forum because I thought RenPy might better suit their needs than CloudNovel. So, I feel disappointed some RenPy users have been making trashy visual novels on CloudNovel about our website AND engine.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

I'll note that it's pretty common, actually. It might not be CloudNovel users, but I've been called all the names in the book over the years I've made Ren'Py. I sort of kind of treat it as a weird sort of respect - you've made it to the point where people are willing to shit on you. Yay?

Of course, I condemn this, and if I had my way it wouldn't happen. And it seems like - if the person has that much free time, why don't they make a proper game?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

Since you put the link here, I believe that fake VN will now got a lot of views. You're just feeding the troll.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#7 Post by firecat »

I tested many game engines and with do respect yours is by far the most restricted one in the whole visual novel community. In my book you are below O₂ Engine because you do not allow free use of people's visual novel to other platforms and very limited options for creating stuff outside the visual novel idea. Please take the time to understand that your engine does have an opportunity to beat TyranoBuilder by just allowing some free use and finding common ground for paid features.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

8oni
Regular
Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni

#8 Post by 8oni »

First, I have no intention on making things worse.

So, my opinion and advice as non RenPy user:

Get over it and keep making VN.

[Or in my case since I have a hard time concentrating on just 1 vn I usually ended up just making tutorial for anything that my Muse told me to, it's just based on experience, if I disobey her the inspiration won't come back at all so... ._. ]

People will always comparing anything to something else, from small to big things [*cough* no it's not what I means '_' :poker face: ]
so yeah, just roll with it.

Sorry, didn't means to sounds like I am preaching here '_'

Sonya
Veteran

#9 Post by Sonya »

PyTom wrote:I'll note that it's pretty common, actually. It might not be CloudNovel users, but I've been called all the names in the book over the years I've made Ren'Py. I sort of kind of treat it as a weird sort of respect - you've made it to the point where people are willing to shit on you. Yay?

Of course, I condemn this, and if I had my way it wouldn't happen. And it seems like - if the person has that much free time, why don't they make a proper game?
Yeah I took it that way, that at least now the CloudNovel community is big enough that Renpy trolls come on the site to make fun of us.

And I'm glad to hear that PyTom, I would be the same way if CloudNovel usesr behaved this way on lemmasoft forum. If they have, then I am so sorry.

Sonya
Veteran

#10 Post by Sonya »

Donmai wrote:Since you put the link here, I believe that fake VN will now got a lot of views. You're just feeding the troll.
I earn money every time a person comes on my website to view the advertisements. I'm feeding the troll yes, but I am also earning income while I'm at it.

Sonya
Veteran

#11 Post by Sonya »

firecat wrote:I tested many game engines and with do respect yours is by far the most restricted one in the whole visual novel community. In my book you are below O₂ Engine because you do not allow free use of people's visual novel to other platforms and very limited options for creating stuff outside the visual novel idea. Please take the time to understand that your engine does have an opportunity to beat TyranoBuilder by just allowing some free use and finding common ground for paid features.
Yes we are restricted, but we still get 450,000 page views per month despite that. :o

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#12 Post by firecat »

Sonya wrote:
firecat wrote:I tested many game engines and with do respect yours is by far the most restricted one in the whole visual novel community. In my book you are below O₂ Engine because you do not allow free use of people's visual novel to other platforms and very limited options for creating stuff outside the visual novel idea. Please take the time to understand that your engine does have an opportunity to beat TyranoBuilder by just allowing some free use and finding common ground for paid features.
Yes we are restricted, but we still get 450,000 page views per month despite that. :o
its not about page views or how much you can earn from the site. you need to improve the way you do business with the visual novel community. TyranoBuilder and renpy are your biggest rivals, it will not take any effort for them to one day create a visual novel engine that many will flock over and never look back on other engines. I seen many developers who build easy engines just like you, it only takes a few months, years, days, to make people lose interest on your engine.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Sonya
Veteran

#13 Post by Sonya »

firecat wrote:
Sonya wrote:
its not about page views or how much you can earn from the site. you need to improve the way you do business with the visual novel community. TyranoBuilder and renpy are your biggest rivals, it will not take any effort for them to one day create a visual novel engine that many will flock over and never look back on other engines. I seen many developers who build easy engines just like you, it only takes a few months, years, days, to make people lose interest on your engine.
Well thanks for telling me that, but CloudNovel, as you said, is just another visual novel engine and there are many visual novel engines out there. Right now I'm too busy adding updates and taking care of my current users instead of getting new users who will probably use CloudNovel for an hour and just go away. RenPy has over 7 years of development, and we've only been released 1.5 year and have 1.5 years of development. I have priorities, aka, my current users instead of worrying about taking over the visual novel community. I'm not going to go into a price war with TyranoBuilder, and I'm not going to go into a feature war with Renpy.
Last edited by Sonya on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonya
Veteran

#14 Post by Sonya »

Sigh, you know what there's no point for me to even be posting on this forum. You guys are too biased with your own engines, TyranoBuilder and Renpy. I have to worry about the cloudnovel community.

Anyway I just hope that our users can respect each other more and not troll our websites/communities. I hope, PyTom, that you will encourage your users to be more respectable towards CloudNovel's community and not have your users troll CloudNovel.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#15 Post by Donmai »

Sonya wrote:I'm feeding the troll yes, but I am also earning income while I'm at it.
Please don't give us a reason to imagine that you are accusing all of us of being disrespectful, only to promote your site.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)