Visual Novel Maker release date pushed back

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

Visual Novel Maker release date pushed back

#1 Post by JBShields »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/495480/

Visual Novel Maker's creators announced they'll release the VN design program next year (instead of this fall). They say they're tweaking and wanting to deliver the best program. Is anyone else interested in using this software?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Visual Novel Maker release date pushed back

#2 Post by Mammon »

I think this program will lead to a lot more starting developers making better-looking VN with this program in the future, and I expect primarily beginning writers to benefit from this, but that most VN made by more experienced developers and people already accustomed to Ren'py will stick to Ren'py. I myself see no reason to use it in the future as I'm already accustomed enough with Ren'py now to need such training wheels (even with little as I know, that is).
This going on the assumption that just like all programs that have easier basics, VN maker will be more difficult to grasp once you're no longer working within the range of what they're offering you. For example I can assume that importing original sprites will immediately be more difficult than with Ren'py. I have seen such increased difficulty for novices/noobs like me before when working with seemingly more accessible programs, once you hit an error or problem though that's when you're just completely stuck without any chance of fixing it. Take for example Steam itself, it does seem like an easier system for downloading games but there's this bug that prevents me from going to any of the pages of the recently uploaded free games section except for the first one. Steam just freezes until I decide to go another section. Unlike a regular site I have no way of fixing that or even knowing where the problem lies.

VN maker pro's:
-Those sprites and backgrounds that are creative commons already uploaded within the game, starting VN makers who don't have artistic skills will have it much easier to make a basic highschool game because they won't even need to look in the CC section around here.
-The coding does seem easier to understand and apply for noobs like me, though whether it's actually easier in practice is a whole different matter. And unlike ren'py which spreads across a few different programs (Ren'py, Editra, something to write in like Word, something to draw in) everything can be done in one program.
-I saw it also allows animation as a standard feature with CC, that'll be a big plus for any new developers looking for a format to work with.

VN maker cons:
-I expect it will be more rigid through it's design of being more easily accessible. Yes, you can do the things they offer much easier but once there's something not covered by them you can consider it impossible. For example if they don't have a 'moveinright' command or the possibility to input custom positions it will be significantly more difficult to implement these.
-As a result of point one, any team with a programmer will probably stick to/switch to Ren'py for its better customising so the more organised projects will probably stay around here.
-It'll cost money. That will discourage a lot of people just looking to dabble in making VN and seeing if they like it, especially the beginning writers whom I expect to benefit most from this program. Especially considering there are various free programs that can do and look pretty much the same minus the CC sprites.

I think the practical success will hinge on these factors:
-Whether they'll do the Creative Commons thing right. This seems to be the main attraction point of this program and they'll need a good, extensive and easily maneuvreable database of these STARS as they call them. If they won't offer medieval, feudal, scifi etc. sprites, bg, sounds etc. aside from the highschool ones then most developers will move on to another engine after one project. Plus each of these will need to be diverse enough to accomodate the developers tastes. As a result they will have to be downloadable content probably to prevent making the program itself too large for computers, and that presents the problem of making a good online shop to go along with this program. Enter the potential problem of paywall or insufficient choice.
-Whether the legal details around the project are clear and not problematic. If there are some troublesome legal issues around making commercial games with VN maker for example it will ruin them.
-Whether the easy looks of the game are actually easy to get into. Being easily excessible to newbies will be the most important factor of success here.

But personally, no. I don't plan on using VN maker in the future.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Unlike RPG Maker, visual novels are really easy to learn how to code, even in Renpy, so I am skeptical of the utility of this program. If you can't learn to make Renpy games it will be hard for you to do the other aspects of indiedev anyway. So I think this will be limited to basic hobbyists and not produce very many commercial games.

8oni
Regular
Completed: Midnight Encounter, White World
Tumblr: 8oni
Deviantart: 8oni

#4 Post by 8oni »

To tell the truth, I am interested. I always like learning and I don't really hold any favor-ism toward any engine, honestly I have try a lot engine/software [last I try is Matag and it's pretty good] and all of them have their own upside down.

But, well, I am currently engaged with Novelty and TyranoBuilder as in I have a ton of request that I have to make into video tutorial [if you are one of people I promise 'I will put your question into my to do list' then you know I am working on it, really...] so another engine will means more work for me lol.

Not too mention that I heard the price will be quite expensive [I don't use dollar here so yeah, I am the type that buy stuff on discount lol, that's how I get my TB 'w' ] and since I don't have credit card I will have to buy voucher offline, exchange it online using web to Steam voucher and then finally buy the stuff.

So yeah, tl;dr

If the price is right and I have time to play with another engine I will definitely buy it.

Celianna
Veteran

#5 Post by Celianna »

Something to note with Visual Novel Maker: it supports plugins/extensions. This can severely alter your game - in fact you could create a top-down view RPG game here - and they can be shared with the community. This will add loads of fun to a growing new community.

Everything is customizable, and it comes with ready to be used graphics if you're just a beginner. It's a point and click, but advanced users can script to do more fancy stuff, so there's always an option to tweak and adjust the way you want things to look like.

If I wasn't already using an engine for my project, I'd use VNM. Should hopefully have an official release soon!
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

dreamfarmer
Regular
Deviantart: exstarsis

#6 Post by dreamfarmer »

I'm really looking forward to VNM, just because of RPG Maker MV. Stock asset libraries are also pretty exciting, even though I have other angles on art these days. I've been holding off on starting my projects for months kind of waiting for VNM. I'm now sloowwwly moving forward toward Ren'py because who can wait forever? But I do really hope it shows up soon.

Celianna
Veteran

#7 Post by Celianna »

dreamfarmer wrote:I'm really looking forward to VNM, just because of RPG Maker MV. Stock asset libraries are also pretty exciting, even though I have other angles on art these days. I've been holding off on starting my projects for months kind of waiting for VNM. I'm now sloowwwly moving forward toward Ren'py because who can wait forever? But I do really hope it shows up soon.
The release date basically hinges on the helpfile documentation to be completed, which is almost done. So you don't have to wait much longer :)
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#8 Post by LizardRobot »

They finished the documentation apparently a while back... I'm beginning to suspect the hold up is due to the program being really buggy, or initial testers finding it bad, and that they're holding it back because they don't want to release and have it be slammed with negative reviews on Steam. They solicited applications for keys on Facebook, though, but I don't know if that means it will actually be released soon, because no matter what they do, they never share the scope of the hurdles between them and actual release.

I don't love TyranoBuilder, but at least that dev is fast to respond to people. So far the people doing VNM are really dropping the ball when it comes to communication.