Unity for porting my own project.

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
sura_tc
Deviantart: sura-of-tc

Unity for porting my own project.

#1 Post by sura_tc »

Hello,

I've been working on a VN project of mine for a year or so now with TyranoBuilder. It is a hobby project and I've been progressively working on it.

Since I have no art skills, I turned to 3D and initially used stock 3D assets with exception of spaceships which are fully my own designs. I wasn't good at modelling humanoids and had avoided it.
The VN is sci fi and I felt using 3D was acceptable.

The story is already there as I've been writing the whole thing for about 20 years. I've picked an arc of it and chose to make a VN based on it.
Recently, I've broken into modelling humanoids and have gotten several acceptable results, replacing about half of stock 3D characters with my own design.

And then an urge occurred. I wanted to add RPG elements and tactical space battles.

At first, I looked at possibilties within TyranoBuilder and came to a conclsuion that it's not doable with it. Next, I looked at Ren'Py. I feel it is possible to do what I want with Ren'Py but there are no ready-made solution. I am not a coder although I may be able to learn basic coding.

After having looked at GameMaker and RPG Maker MV, I took a look at Unity 3D and saw the possibility there.

There appear to be ready-made frameworks to do what I want.

First, VN framework: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54342 or https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36826
And then SRPG framework: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14419

I have the story; I have 3D assets I've built over years with Blender. I will use 2D renders for characters but plan to use full 3D for spaceships on 2D grid during battles.

For those who have some experience in this, do you think Unity3D could do what I want to do?

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Unity for porting my own project.

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

sura_tc wrote: For those who have some experience in this, do you think Unity3D could do what I want to do?
Unity can do anything you want it to do. It's a full fledged engine that has been used for everything from tactical online card games like Hearthstone by Blizzard, RPGs like I am Setsuna by Square Enix, visual novels and puzzle games like HuniePop, and even mobile games like Nintendo's Super Mario Run and Pokemon GO. All those were made in Unity.

It's sort of the blessing and the curse that is Unity. It can take a lot longer to learn how to use it, and it can be difficult starting out with it, because it is NOT specialized to a genre of game, but that is also it's strength, because once you learn Unity, you aren't really restricted in what type of game you'd like to make.

I'd say if you are serious about GAME development, and plan on making multiple different games with different mechanics in the future, Unity would be a great choice to get started in.

If you are only looking to tell this one story, or every game you make going forward is going to be mostly visual novels, stick with something specialized like Ren'Py or Tyrannobuilder.

sura_tc
Deviantart: sura-of-tc

Re: Unity for porting my own project.

#3 Post by sura_tc »

Took me a while to understand Unity's workflow but I think I've gottan hang of it now.

I've chosen Unity and am in progress of importing my current VN into Unity and adding mini games.