Bermuda Triangle Engine

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Springroll Games

Bermuda Triangle Engine

#1 Post by Springroll Games »

Bermuda Triangle Engine is a small javascript visual novel engine created by Springroll Games.
https://bt-engine.tumblr.com

The mains features of this engine are customizable user interface and a special mode that looks like text messaging.

I'm very new to javascript! This is not meant to be a major visual novel engine - I'm mostly posting it so I can see which things work and which things glitch. I also want to learn which features are considered most necessary in a visual novel!

Please let me know if anything goes wrong. (I'm not even 100% sure that the site works.)
Attachments
bt-engine.zip
(589.95 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by Springroll Games on Thu May 18, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Springroll Games

Re: Bermuda Triangle Engine

#2 Post by Springroll Games »

Update 1.1:
> Added button text centering
> Added dissolve transition
> Added keyboard support
> Fixed a mobile graphics glitch

The documentation has also been updated.
Thank you for your time!

2_an
Regular

#3 Post by 2_an »

Hello!

I'm starting in javascript, and been using your engine. it seems to me that you base your game on the "canvas" function (maybe I'm wrong)

According to my observation, your game system is based on the creation of three types of boxes (adv, nvl, msg)

the boxes are not pretty, so I added an edge to each one with this type of code:

Code: Select all

stk = bt_room.context;
stk.strokeStyle = "colour";
stk.strokeRect(coord_x, coord_y , coord  ,coord ,);
stk.lineWidth = nº;
(However, I was not able to put the edge on the choice boxes)

According to my assessment, your engine is good, although it is very basic.

If you still have the idea to develop this engine, I can suggest that you study other engines that have also been written in javaScript, for example (monogatari, js-ViNE, WebStory-Engine ..), maybe in these codes you can use something for the of yours.

Monogatari is very good, includes many interesting features, including the use of videos, typeWritter... And also give some advice to publish the games in various media, such as mobiles, browsers ... etc

js-ViNE
, also offers curious features such as images-map, subroutines ..

Returning to your game, I will finish commenting some negative aspects that you can improve in the future:
  • - When the text of the dialogue is long, then it leaves the box(It should be inside the box.). Aesthetically it is horrible.

- the images, although they can be placed in right, left, center, do not have a movement of entry and exit. It is better if they can move from one point to another.

- The name of the character must have its own box. If you use the same box as the dialog, it's not pretty.
    In addition, you must include a small photo of the character.

- the option to upload videos will always be interesting

- Having only three types (avd, nvl, msg..etc), is limited.
    Or maybe, to create your own text box.
Well, I can not conclude without adding the "typeWritter" function, which offers a wonderful effect in the dialogues. (Monogatari has it)

P.D: I will be careful to see if you have new updates soon

regards

Springroll Games

#4 Post by Springroll Games »

Oh wow, thank you for this reply! I really appreciate it.

This was my first real js "project", actually, and while I've definitely thought about revisiting it, the possibility is low. (I'd probably recode the entire thing from scratch, since I'm not happy with its structure.) If I do, though, it'll definitely have typewriter and transitions, as well as a better system for using image ui.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

2_an
Regular

two new options??

#5 Post by 2_an »

Hi. I need to incorporate two new options.

1. possibility of creating an input box, so that the user can add data, typing from the keyboard.

for example, in addition to adding boxes such as "adv", "nvl", "msg" ... include others such as "input" ..

2. Use HTML text.

In the case of option 2, I mean being able to add HTML elements in the characters' text.
In other engines, like JS-Vine, I can do something like this:

"<input type = 'button' value = 'value' onclick = alert () '/>

and then in the character text, a button with the possibility of activating a function also appears.
Been trying to do on your engine, but had no success, is it possible?

PD:I think there is a function called "bt_insert ()", but I don't understand very well.

2_an
Regular

bug detected: functions disappear upon returning in history

#6 Post by 2_an »

Hello again.
I have founded some problems in the code.
The menu and jump functions only work once.

When you go back in history(to story), this two commands disappear, (function menu and function jump).

For example, If I create a new story(eg: "story_NEW"), and I move to it with a function jump or function menu... So, when I'm in the story_NEW, I make a new jump (or menu) to the story_1 (the main one).
The game is able to reread all the commands(strings, coments..etc), but when it reaches where was a function (jump or menu), it does not read it. It is as if it had disappeared these functions.

With the little knowledge that I have, after my observations, I have some possible ideas regarding the problem.

These functions use the "push" command. Perhaps it is this command that conflicts when it goes back in history.

Another option is that it is the cause of the bt_runcmd () function, since it does not evaluate whether a function exists.
(This function is not clear what it does...but it is very interesting to be able to use numbers to call commands (wrap = 1, show = 6..etc))

PD: Maybe he's not working on the engine, but it's nice, and I think he has enough potential.