RenJS

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
lunafromthemoon
Tumblr: strangerpoint
Github: lunafromthemoon
itch: lunafromthemoon

RenJS

#1 Post by lunafromthemoon »

Hi! I'm a developer from Argentina and I just released a visual novel engine based on Phaser and inspired by Ren'Py, called RenJS. The stories are written in yaml as a list of actions, and then interpreted and executed with Javascript and Phaser. It's easy to use by non programmers and it's super easy to extend and modify for anyone that knows a bit of phaser. One of the most important features of this engine is that games can be played directly in the browser!
I invite you to check the tutorial game I made with the engine itself in https://lunafromthemoon.itch.io/renjs, you can also get the code from https://gitlab.com/lunafromthemoon/RenJSTutorial, download it, play it locally and grab the files to make your own visual novels.

There's no official documentation of it yet, but I'm working on it. I hope to get some feedback from you all, thank you!

kalesco
Regular

Re: RenJS

#2 Post by kalesco »

Hi,

I am using your engine for converting my survey game to web - thank you for your work! I am not sure you're still working on it, though there are commits to the quick start things, so I'm hopeful.

My game (and your tutorial) only works in Firefox for me btw. if that's relevant information for you.

One thing in the documentation, that I've just stumbled upon and only looking in the tutorial code helped me:
the example for the if clause is wrong - it's missing the {} for the variable. Took me a while to figure it out.

Thanks again,
Best wishes

2_an
Regular

does not work

#3 Post by 2_an »

does not work in any browser (Edge, Chrome, firefox)

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

Re: RenJS

#4 Post by DrSchizo »

That's cool, thank you for the share. It is working really well on my computer.

Few years ago, I've developped on my own visual novel engine called Sandbox Adventure and after a long break of almost three years, I am thinking about working on it again. One of the feature I've always wanted to add is a tile engine, in order to be able to move around in a map like RPG Maker. I've done it before in another project but it was in Flash. To do the same in HTML5, I've been thinking about using an engine like Phaser. Since this kind of engine has not been made for visual novel, I am wondering how it went for you. Did you face some difficulties or limitations about using Phaser for this kind of project? Did you try other HTML5 game engine?