Ren-engine, a gem of a Visual Novel engine.

For discussion and support of other visual novel engines.
Lochana
Projects: Touhou - Reimu's day out! (Won't see the light of day probably)
Github: lochana-Dineko

Ren-engine, a gem of a Visual Novel engine.

#1 Post by Lochana »

To the point.
- Follows the script syntax of Renpy.
- Incedibly light and Portable.
- Has all the features needed for a Visual Novel.

Link - https://github.com/TrueCat17/Ren-Engine

Recently I was going through github looking at code samples and stuff when I stumbled upon Ren-engine. Alongside Coda, Suika 2, and Onscripter it has become one of my Favorite Engines.

I tend to avoid Renpy cause my early 2000's pc can't handle the newer versions of it. Slowing down to a miserable crawl and making my PC heat up to the temperature of a Stove. Needless to say I'm currently using ONscripter (and the newer POnscripter Versions) and I've gotten pretty good at working with NScripter and KiriKiri's Kag (the latters community made plugins blowing everything the other engines have out of the water, almost making up for the face that it's only supported on Windows).

Regardless I found Ren-engine and was interested in it. A engine that had a similar syntax to Renpy but was light enough for my computer to run. Heck, It runs better than the newer versions of Ponscripter, which is quite amazing. Regardless I opened up the demo, and holy smokes! The Speed! It's faster then Onscripter and KiriKiri. I can almost hear my PC crying out in relief. It also came with a platforming, Tower defense, and Puzzle examples.

Even though the text is in Russian, I could change it easily by going through the script and engine files. I'm thinking of Prototyping my game in this and porting it to Renpy if I feel like it. Honestly I have a thing for light Visual Novel engines like this.