Requirements for Recruitment threads (RULES)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Requirements for Recruitment threads (RULES)

#46 Post by morinoir »

Umm.. I've read the rules but I just need confirmation. If I offer skill trade for payment, where should I post my recruitment thread? I'm afraid if I post it on free project, people will assume they will get nothing other than credit and experiences ;_;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#47 Post by PyTom »

I don't understand what you mean by "Skill trade for payment". Is money changing hands?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#48 Post by morinoir »

PyTom wrote:I don't understand what you mean by "Skill trade for payment". Is money changing hands?
There's no money changing hands here. I'm an artist and am looking for writer that willing to help me with their skill, and as the payment for their effort, I offer my skill for them to use. I don't feel like asking things for free because there will be a lot of work from me, and unfortunately I can't afford to pay any writer at the moment. That's why the only thing I can think off to 'pay' the writer is by offering my drawing skill.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#49 Post by Taleweaver »

"Paid work" is fine - just mention what you mean by "paid". Or, if you have a project to show, you could also post this under "Free Project" and mention right in the thread name that you're also open to a skill trade arrangement. Thus, if someone wants to work with you for free, they can do that, and if not, then they can get your art in exchange.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

#50 Post by Smaymay »

I'm currently working on a commercial project. Our team consist just of two people so we have a small budget. However, some people offered their voice acting skills to us for little to no compensation. This made us realise there are more people out their who want to expand their portfolio or are just starting out, whether it's with commercial work or not. We can offer experience, full credit, and an exchange of services (promo art, etc), though. We would love to share our open call for voice actors here but it's not clear to me in what category I should post it. Any advice :)?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#51 Post by Taleweaver »

If you're making money, you're a commercial project. If you're making money but cannot or will not share it with the people you would like to recruit, well, there's nothing in our rules forbidding that. Of course, you ought to be honest with the people you are trying to recruit, but if they are willing to work for full credit and an exchange of services, we have no qualms with that. We're not the Voice Actor's Union.

In short, go ahead and post under "Commercial Project".
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

#52 Post by Smaymay »

Taleweaver
Thank you for your fast reply! I'll make sure to properly communicate our situation and be honest about what we can and can't offer. Have a nice day :)

SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

#53 Post by SypherZent »

Didn't know where to post this, so figured I'd post it here.

Recently I ran into a new account posting in the "We are offering Paid Work" thread. After contacting the person, I realize they are breaking Rule #1:
(1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future.
It's one of those accounts that only has 1 post.

I tend to look for work, contact people and only when they tell me yes or no do I proceed to contact others.
I do this to prevent a conflict (multiple projects) and to make sure I'll be able to deliver.

However, the person in question (the rule-breaker) took 3 weeks to properly define their project, and never provided a full scope.
After reeling me in for 3 weeks via email/Discord, they told me they were undecided between myself and another developer.
So, they asked me to work for free in order for them to decide which developer to choose. Naturally, I told them no.

I feel like I wasted my time. I feel like the person tried to scam me into providing free work.
I could have been contacting others for work during those 3 weeks.
If the person asks multiple developers to do something free in order for them to compare, at the end someone is going to get screwed over.

So, I was wondering if the thread can have some better enforcement of the rules to filter these types of posters.

Finally, I'd like to recommend a new rule. Many subreddits require posters to clearly state their budget and the subreddits also establish a minimum (in r/hireawriter you can't ask for people to work for less than $0.05 per hour, and in r/forhire you can't ask for people to work for less than $15/hour). I feel it would be helpful to the community if posters were required to have a defined budget before posting (otherwise they will just let the post sit until someone offers to work for much less than a proper/humane wage, which is almost like an auction rather than a fair recruiting post).

Thanks for hearing me out, I hope a mod can look into this.

Outer
Regular

#54 Post by Outer »

Can I create a post "looking for a ready-made script for VN" to buy the rights to this script? I do not know in which section you can post such thing. There is no place anywhere for this. But I think it will be useful to many people.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#55 Post by Zelan »

Outer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:28 pm Can I create a post "looking for a ready-made script for VN" to buy the rights to this script? I do not know in which section you can post such thing. There is no place anywhere for this. But I think it will be useful to many people.
I would post it under "We Are Offering Paid Work."

Outer
Regular

#56 Post by Outer »

Okay. I created a topic on "We are a Free Project looking for Partners" section.
I wrote that I have an idea for a plot. I wrote a description of this plot. I wrote that I am looking for a person who will help me come up with a plot, outline it. I also wrote that I will not pay for this work, but the game may be sold.
And my topic was deleted.
What's the matter? Did I break the rules? Where can I post my topic then? Or if the game can theoretically be commercial, then I must pay people to work?

UPD. Based on the messages above, I should publish this topic in a "commercial" section