Seeking Artist [Forbidden: The Fall From Grace]

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Cinto
Regular
Tumblr: geckcellent.tumblr.com

Seeking Artist [Forbidden: The Fall From Grace]

#1 Post by Cinto »

Hi!

So I guess it's been a while since I posted... I've taken a hiatus from making games since I've been going through some real life difficulties in the past year.

Anyway.

I've been working on a game that I call "Forbidden: The Fall From Grace". And for a novel that was born from a parody of a joke between my friends and I, it's turned out quite serious.
---
---
The story takes place in an unnamed fantasy continent, which bears two countries, both of which are highly religious and believe in the same God: Daltonia and Aisa. (No, Aisa is not a misspelling of Asia). Daltonia is a more "traditional" country, which has a royalty, but its political policies differ in that the crown is passed on to whomever the previous king chooses. It somewhat resembles olden-time Europe.

Aisa, by comparison, has a female monarchy and the crown passes down through the maternal bloodline. It is also notably Asian, by our real-world terms.

The story moves back and forth between two Aisan characters, the princess Mikami and her friend/guard Ilia, and several major and minor Daltonian characters, the centermost of which are two boys named Seimei and Leo.

Seimei and Leo are two boys growing up in the slums of Daltonia. Up to their teenage years, they're pretty much inseparable, but around the time they turn 17, their paths start diverging. Seimei joins a troupe of entertainers, and begins taking a path that will bring him through the noble circles and eventually to becoming the next king. Meanwhile Leo is forced to become a thief, and is eventually captured and incarcerated, only reuniting with his childhood friend years later when Seimei (as king) frees him from prison.

Shortly after Seimei becomes king (yes, I have that all thought out and can explain it if anyone asks), a massive plague sweeps through Daltonia, leaving thousands of deaths in its wake. One of the dead is Seimei's mother. Shortly after, Seimei learns that his father committed suicide from grief. Angry and grieving, he turns to God, wanting vengeance.

As king, Seimei has the authority to do anything- and he uses that authority, initiating an expensive and potentially deadly project involving raising the dead. The first -and only- success in his Judgment project is Leo's old friend from his thief years, a girl named Sen.

Leo can do nothing but stand by and watch his old friend lose his mind. But even he is dragged into Seimei's ever-growing madness when Seimei both requests him as an old friend and orders him as king to become the figure who would come to be known as Lorenzo, a ruthless assassin who only serves the king, silencing all who opposed Seimei or his Judgment project.

While this is happening, over in Aisa, Mikami has since taken the throne in the traditional inheritance at age twenty. Formerly on good terms with Seimei, after witnessing his madness in challenging God, she declares war on the "country that trespassed in the realm of God". Not even a year later, Daltonia, with its funds drained and its people in disorder, is razed to the ground and every living being or creature within is killed in the name of God. Mikami wasn't heartless, but in the end, her faith was more important than her own feelings. After creating one final edict prohibiting entry to what was formerly Daltonia, now the "Forbidden Land", she steps down from the throne and disappears from history, leaving rule of her country to her old friend Ilia.
---

That's the plot summary, pretty much. If there's any questions, or if you're an artist interested in assisting me, please post here. And now, on to what I need!

I need character art, background art, and CG art. Since this is a linear storyline with only one ending (kinetic novel), there will be less art needed than for a playable game. I will provide references for these characters once I have access to my other computer.

Character portraits needed are:
Set 1
-Seimei as a child (happy, brooding/neutral)
-Leo as a child (surprised, happy)
-Mikami as an older child (serene/calm/neutral, smiling/laughing)
-Ilia as an older child (worried, smiling, neutral)

Set 2
-Seimei as a teen (neutral, smiling gently, surprised, happy)
-Leo as a teen (neutral, smiling gently, frustrated/angry, smiling enthusiastically)

Set 3
-Seimei as a young adult (around 22-ish) (neutral, worried/unsure, angry, sad, smiling)
-Leo as a young adult (around 20-ish) (neutral, angry, desperate, smiling sadly)

Set 4
-Seimei as an adult (as king) (smiling sadistically, angry, neutral/brooding, unsure)
-Leo as an adult (as the assassin Lorenzo) (emotionless, crying/sad, neutral/unsure)
-Mikami as an adult (as queen) (worried/unsure, angry, smiling sadly, smiling calmly)
-Ilia as an adult (as the queen's adviser and guard) (worried/unsure, angry, neutral, calm, sad)

...as well as various CGs and backgrounds that I haven't decided on yet.

---
Progress on the project:
Art- 5% (that's why I need an artist, haha. I have the title screen and that's about it)
Music- Probably will not be included, since sourcing everything I use will likely prove to difficult for my ADHD brain
Voice- Might use, might not use
Script- 20-25%
Story Planning- 90%

---
If you'd like to join the project, please post examples of your art. It doesn't have to be spectacular, but I'd like two things- anime style, and either the ability to match the style shown in the screenshot, or willingness to remake the title screen and draw everything else in your own style.
---

That's all, I think. If I've left something out, please remind me. Thank you all for your time!
---

Edit: I cannot pay money, since I am a starving student, but I can do art-trades, writing, and I am also doing the writing and scripting for this project entirely on my own.

Washu_Ira
Projects: D Shuffle
Organization: Fool's Choice
Deviantart: Washu-Dark-Ira

Re: Seeking Artist [Forbidden: The Fall From Grace]

#2 Post by Washu_Ira »

I would like to help but my art style is not very consistent. it goes from cartoony to animesh and back too often

Cinto
Regular

#3 Post by Cinto »

Well, that may be alright. c:
May I see some of your art?

Washu_Ira

#4 Post by Washu_Ira »

well this is where my style is right now http://sta.sh/2fx92nm21jv?edit=1 sorry nothing is really clean
This is my da http://washu-dark-ira.deviantart.com
but I haven't updated in ages it seems

Cinto
Regular

#5 Post by Cinto »

I love the style in this one.
Would you be willing to work with me? c:

I can't pay money, but I will credit you as the artist, and I can do art/writing as payment if you'd like.

Washu_Ira

#6 Post by Washu_Ira »

I don't mind working with you on this but remember my style is kinda shaky.
what about the image did you like? the color? the style of the characters? or the line work?

Cinto
Regular

#7 Post by Cinto »

Honestly, I like everything I saw in that example, the style of the art reminds me of a favorite video game of mine. And I loved the coloring, I really like "painty" styles like that.

If your style is shaky, that's fine. c:
I'm just glad you're willing to work with me.

I will upload character references as soon as I get home and scan them, if you do not mind starting already. c:

EDIT: Also, one of my friends has agreed to assist on the project as well... so the work will likely be halved for each of you. (Yay!) Umm... are you any good at drawing backgrounds?

Washu_Ira

#8 Post by Washu_Ira »

Alright then. I'll start as soon as I get them.
backgrounds are not an impossibility but it will most likely not be super nice.

Cinto
Regular

#9 Post by Cinto »

Okay, so I finally was able to upload the references.
Here's the starting characters:

Seimei (around 10-13)
Seimei (around 17)

Leo (around 10-13)

I didn't have time to draw Leo as a teen, or either of them as adults, but he basically looks the same, but more "adult" not necessarily "mature".

Seimei's color scheme is shown above, for his child and teen portraits, think kind of old, patched or ragged clothes.
Leo's color scheme is sunshine blonde hair, sky-blue eyes. Same clothing type as Seimei.

I guess for now, could you just draw their character pictures that will appear when they're speaking in-game? If you want more direction on specific poses, outfits, etc. let me know. Thank you!

Washu_Ira

#10 Post by Washu_Ira »

do you want me to keep it as close to your style as possible?

Cinto
Regular

#11 Post by Cinto »

Actually, I'd prefer if you could use the style you used in the reference picture that I liked, if that's possible.