Looking for Coders -Date Sim-

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Zalkyria
Regular

Looking for Coders -Date Sim-

#1 Post by Zalkyria »

Working on a date sim and my partner and I don't have much experience with coding that it helps to have someone look it over. We had a coder but we have lost contact with him, and well as much of an amazing coder he was we are currently at a standstill on making the game. If anyone can help us please reply or message me here.
Currently working on Dance With Me? - Danny Phantom Date Sim.
Link to our blog - http://dpdatesim.tumblr.com/
Currently looking for writers, and help with coding on the game. Please contact me or JaxxyLupei, on here or message on the blog.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

Re: Looking for Coders -Date Sim-

#2 Post by Kate »

I hope you can get some help- perhaps describe the complexity or simplicity of the game, what exactly are you envisioning?
Is it kinetic/linear, or branching paths?
What points/qualities/stats are you expecting to track?
What kinds of effects are you expecting?

ALSO.

OMIGOSH. I love this idea to pieces!
A Danny Phantom dating sim?????? My heart is bleeding out through the tears of joy in my eyes.
I was so in love with that cartoon when I was 13. <3
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

Zalkyria
Regular

#3 Post by Zalkyria »

The date sim will be branching depending on what choices you make will lead you to certain events. Currently we need a money system, a health bar, thats what we know so far. As for effects I'm not sure what you mean by that?
Currently looking for writers, and help with coding on the game. Please contact me or JaxxyLupei, on here or message on the blog.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#4 Post by noeinan »

Hm, it looks like you've already started your game, but a while back I made a quickstart guide that comes with a tutorial-- maybe that could help you?

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22393

It has an inventory system made by leon, some basic stats (including money), and if there is anything you are interested that is *not* covered in the playable tutorial let me know and I will try to add it.

Zalkyria
Regular

#5 Post by Zalkyria »

daikiraikimi wrote:Hm, it looks like you've already started your game, but a while back I made a quickstart guide that comes with a tutorial-- maybe that could help you?

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=22393

It has an inventory system made by leon, some basic stats (including money), and if there is anything you are interested that is *not* covered in the playable tutorial let me know and I will try to add it.
We already have the inventory system, the only stat we want is health we aren't making Danny building any stats since he is focused on talking to the girls and getting love points with them. We aren't having any luck finding a working money system.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6 Post by noeinan »

Generally, money would just be a stat already incorporated into an inventory system, which is why I mentioned it. Perhaps your coder already put it in and there is just no way to see it on the screen? Posting your inventory code could allow forum members to tell you, and there might be an easy way of displaying it.

Vixianna
Projects: TMNT: Shadow of the Dragon
Organization: Cosmic Pirate Productions
Tumblr: Vixianna
Deviantart: Balshumet
Soundcloud: The​TMNTMusicians

#7 Post by Vixianna »

Oh my Gosh! You're the DP Dating Sim people! I've been tracking your tag on tumblr, man that game looks so good DP is one of my favorite shows ever.

On topic, I agree with daikiraikimi, chances are the money is already programmed into the Inventory System, and you don't know what you're looking at. If not, it'd be better to amend the system you have already to add it, and it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Well, it depends on how they made the inventory system. If it's a real python system, it'll take a little more work to get it in top shape, if not though, it could just be an empty list set and you could set the money to be a dynamic variable. Really depends on what you have going there.

As for the health bar, that's easy peasy. If you have the graphics already you only need to code the health variable into them. You could do that with the info here: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#bar

Just set the Max and Min on the bar the starting value(to some health variables yes?), put that bar on a screen and go for it. If confused, maybe that's a simple question you could ask the forum?

Afraid my coding services aren't available right now, but I run the Ren'Pyhelpdesk blog. If you tumblr message me, I'll signal boost the fact you are looking for coders to help out. I'll also ask around to some friends of mine to see if they are interested. :)

Good luck!

Zalkyria
Regular

#8 Post by Zalkyria »

daikiraikimi wrote:Generally, money would just be a stat already incorporated into an inventory system, which is why I mentioned it. Perhaps your coder already put it in and there is just no way to see it on the screen? Posting your inventory code could allow forum members to tell you, and there might be an easy way of displaying it.
Alright we have the money implemented into the inventory code.

Code: Select all

init -1 python:
    import renpy.store as store
    import renpy.exports as renpy # we need this so Ren'Py properly handles rollback with classes
    from operator import attrgetter # we need this for sorting items

inv_page = 0 # initial page of teh inventory screen
    item = None
    class Player(renpy.store.object):
        def __init__(self, name, max_hp=0):
            self.name=name
            self.max_hp=max_hp
            self.hp=max_hp
    player = Player("Danny", 100)

class Item(store.object):
        def __init__(self, name, player=None, hp=0, image="", cost=0):
            self.name = name
            self.player=player # which character can use this item?
            self.hp = hp # does this item restore hp?
            self.image=image # image file to use for this item
            self.cost=cost # how much does it cost in shops?
        def use(self): #here we define what should happen when we use the item
            if self.hp>0: #healing item
                player.hp = player.hp+self.hp
                if player.hp > player.max_hp: # can't heal beyond max HP
                    player.hp = player.max_hp
                inventory.drop(self) # consumable item - drop after use
            else:
                player.element=self.element #item to change elemental damage; we don't drop it, since it's not a consumable item

class Inventory(store.object):
        def __init__(self, money=10):
            self.money = money
            self.items = []
        def add(self, item): # a simple method that adds an item; we could also add conditions here (like check if there is space in the inventory)
            self.items.append(item)
        def drop(self, item):
            self.items.remove(item)
        def buy(self, item):
            if self.money >= item.cost:
                self.items.append(item)
                self.money -= item.cost

def item_use():
        item.use()

#Tooltips:
    style.tips_top = Style(style.default)
    #style.title.font="gui/arial.ttf"
    style.tips_top.size=14
    style.tips_top.color="fff"
    style.tips_top.outlines=[(3, "6b7eef", 0,0)]
    style.tips_top.kerning = 5

style.tips_bottom = Style(style.tips_top)
    style.tips_top.size=20
    style.tips_bottom.outlines=[(0, "6b7eef", 1, 1), (0, "6b7eef", 2, 2)]
    style.tips_bottom.kerning = 2

style.button.background=Frame("gui/frame.png",25,25)
    style.button.yminimum=52
    style.button.xminimum=52
    style.button_text.color="000"

showitems = True #turn True to debug the inventory
    def display_items_overlay():
        if showitems:
            inventory_show = "Money:" + str(inventory.money) + " HP: " + str(player.hp) + " bullets: " + str(player.mp) + " element: " + str(player.element) + "\nInventory: "
            for i in range(0, len(inventory.items)):
                item_name = inventory.items[i].name
                if i > 0:
                    inventory_show += ", "
                inventory_show += item_name

ui.frame()
            ui.text(inventory_show, color="#000")
    config.overlay_functions.append(display_items_overlay)

screen inventory_button:
    textbutton "Show Inventory" action [ Show("inventory_screen"), Hide("inventory_button")] align (.95,.04)

screen inventory_screen:    
    add "ui/inventory.png" # the background
    modal True #prevent clicking on other stuff when inventory is shown
    #use battle_frame(char=player, position=(.97,.20)) # we show characters stats (mp, hp) on the inv. screen
    #use battle_frame(char=dog, position=(.97,.50))
    hbox align (.95,.04) spacing 20:
        textbutton "Close Inventory" action [ Hide("inventory_screen"), Show("inventory_button"), Return(None)]
    $ x = 515 # coordinates of the top left item position
    $ y = 25
    $ i = 0
    $ sorted_items = sorted(inventory.items, key=attrgetter('element'), reverse=True) # we sort the items, so non-consumable items that change elemental damage (guns) are listed first
    $ next_inv_page = inv_page + 1            
    if next_inv_page > int(len(inventory.items)/9):
        $ next_inv_page = 0
    for item in sorted_items:
        if i+1 <= (inv_page+1)*9 and i+1>inv_page*9:
            $ x += 190
            if i%3==0:
                $ y += 170
                $ x = 515
            $ pic = item.image
            $ my_tooltip = "tooltip_inventory_" + pic.replace("gui/inv_", "").replace(".png", "") # we use tooltips to describe what the item does.
            imagebutton idle pic hover pic xpos x ypos y action [Hide("gui_tooltip"), Show("inventory_button"), SetVariable("item", item), Hide("inventory_screen"), item_use] hovered [ Play ("sound", "sfx/click.wav"), Show("gui_tooltip", my_picture=my_tooltip, my_tt_ypos=693) ] unhovered [Hide("gui_tooltip")] at inv_eff
            if player.element and (player.element==item.element): #indicate the selected gun
                add "gui/selected.png" xpos x ypos y anchor(.5,.5)
        $ i += 1
        if len(inventory.items)>9:
            textbutton _("Next Page") action [SetVariable('inv_page', next_inv_page), Show("inventory_screen")] xpos .475 ypos .83

screen gui_tooltip (my_picture="", my_tt_xpos=58, my_tt_ypos=687):
    add my_picture xpos my_tt_xpos ypos my_tt_ypos

init -1:
    transform inv_eff: # too lazy to make another version of each item, we just use ATL to make hovered items super bright
        zoom 0.5 xanchor 0.5 yanchor 0.5
        on idle:
            linear 0.2 alpha 1.0
        on hover:
            linear 0.2 alpha 2.5

image information = Text("INFORMATION", style="tips_top")
    #Tooltips-inventory:
    image tooltip_inventory_chocolate=LiveComposite((665, 73), (3,0), ImageReference("information"), (3,30), Text("Generic chocolate to heal\n40 points of health.", style="tips_bottom"))
    image tooltip_inventory_banana=LiveComposite((665, 73), (3,0), ImageReference("information"), (3,30), Text("A healthy banana full of potassium! You can also use it as ammo for your guns! O.O Recharges 20 bullets.", style="tips_bottom"))
    image tooltip_inventory_gun=LiveComposite((665, 73), (3,0), ImageReference("information"), (3,30), Text("An gun that looks like something a cop would\ncarry around. Most effective on humans.", style="tips_bottom"))
    image tooltip_inventory_laser=LiveComposite((665, 73), (3,0), ImageReference("information"), (3,30), Text("An energy gun that shoots photon beams.\nMost effective on aliens.", style="tips_bottom"))
Last edited by Zalkyria on Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vixianna
Projects: TMNT: Shadow of the Dragon
Organization: Cosmic Pirate Productions
Tumblr: Vixianna
Deviantart: Balshumet
Soundcloud: The​TMNTMusicians

#9 Post by Vixianna »

Hey hun, could you put that in code tags so we can read the indentation too? The code looks pretty swell, but that's the init/python end of things. I beat you don't have any instances created in the script itself, which is why you can't see it/manipulate it in script like you want.

It's also possible you haven't called up that nice Inventory Screen in script either. It'd take me some time to go through that close enough to be able to solve your problem, but it's a shame your original coder left, because that looks like some darn fine work there.(This also really isn't the place to place the Inventory Code if you have a question about how to get it to run...there's a Q&A subforum just for that type of thing, so if you have a specific question maybe you should put it over there?)

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#10 Post by Sorakun »

Haven't worked much with Ren'py as I mainly work with lower level languages, but if you put the code in the code tags "

""
" I'll look through it. Also a recommendation, for a coder to really be able to help you'd probably want them to look through the whole system as it would make it much easier for them to understand the connections between the different components.

Zalkyria
Regular

#11 Post by Zalkyria »

Vixianna wrote:Hey hun, could you put that in code tags so we can read the indentation too? The code looks pretty swell, but that's the init/python end of things. I beat you don't have any instances created in the script itself, which is why you can't see it/manipulate it in script like you want.

It's also possible you haven't called up that nice Inventory Screen in script either. It'd take me some time to go through that close enough to be able to solve your problem, but it's a shame your original coder left, because that looks like some darn fine work there.(This also really isn't the place to place the Inventory Code if you have a question about how to get it to run...there's a Q&A subforum just for that type of thing, so if you have a specific question maybe you should put it over there?)
Sorry about that i didn't notice the code button i did it as you recommended.

Zalkyria
Regular

#12 Post by Zalkyria »

Sorakun wrote:Haven't worked much with Ren'py as I mainly work with lower level languages, but if you put the code in the code tags "

""
" I'll look through it. Also a recommendation, for a coder to really be able to help you'd probably want them to look through the whole system as it would make it much easier for them to understand the connections between the different components.
That's what we are really looking for because we have a problem where the game doesn't run smoothly so we need someone to look over the whole project to see what we did wrong exactly.

Sorakun
Regular

#13 Post by Sorakun »

Well from a look over the code, there are a few things missing which have been noted in the comments for the code, but I am curious, you say it doesn't run smoothly, in what way doesn't it? does it lag or does it not give off a nice feel of gameplay?

The main thing I take note to after looking it over is that it seems to be running in a debug mode

showitems = True #turn True to debug the inventory
As this part of the code is running in a debug mode state, it wouldn't be too surprising if other parts of the code are which would give it this non smooth feel

Zalkyria
Regular

#14 Post by Zalkyria »

I'm sorry what isn't running smoothly isn't the inventory its our calendar. But I can't really explain it in here its more of something you would have to see the rpy files to see what we did wrong. We start the game, it works and than we hit an error message, however we hit the reload button and it goes back to working. This is what I meant by not running smoothly. Is it possible for you to look through it?

Sorakun
Regular

#15 Post by Sorakun »

Sure, I can take a look through it. I can't promise to find anything as I stated before python isn't my native language but If there is something direct causing a crash I should be able to find it