Looking for a writer for a gothic and burtonian visual novel

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

Looking for a writer for a gothic and burtonian visual novel

#1 Post by DrSchizo »

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a writer to work with me (and not for me) on a gothic and burtonian visual novel.

Sadik City is a game I've worked on a long time ago. We've wanted to do a web-based RPG. We didn't realized how time-consuming it would be and we finally decided to put the project on hold. The time passed on we never get the time to work on it again. I still have a lot of awesome graphism and it would be a shame to let it unused. Therefore, I would like to make a short visual novel.

Most part of the graphism is already made. There are already more than fifty available characters.
I took some time lately to adapt another project's framework in order to easily make visual novels. The front end needs improvement, but everything is functional.
Since graphism and programmation are mostly finished, the completion on the game will from now mostly relies on the writer motivation.

The game is based on a sm, gothic and burtonian universe. The ambiance is deviant and pretty screwed up. To have more liberty in the story writing, it should be forbidden under 18.

I've made a quick demo. It is an example made to show the character design and some features of the framework. It is full of english mistakes and there are still few bugs. Once the text was written, it took me only half an hour to integrate to the game. There is a short plot introduction with some film noir vibes, but I don't plan it to use it in the final game and it is not especially how I would like the story to be written. The plot will depend on the writer ideas as I strongly believe the writer should be able to decide which story he or she wants to tell.

There is another demo made with the same framework. Texts and graphics belongs to the authors of Queen At Arms (thanks to them to let me use their content).

It will be an amateur project and I don't plan to make money out of it for now. If this short story is convincing enough, we could use it to start a Kickstarter campaign and if funded, to make a more ambitious game or other short stories. But for now, it is a free game and you shouldn't be expecting to be paid.

Don't hesitate to ask me question by PM or on this topic.
Thank you for reading me.

Siedes

Re: Looking for a writer for a gothic and burtonian visual n

#2 Post by Siedes »

I'm not entirely into the concept of your VN and it's themes but I don't mind coming in and working with you on it somewhat. The short demo you produced isn't bad at all. I didn't even think you could do that on a website.

Can't guarantee that I will be super faithful(in actively working towards the finish line but what I can promise is that I will always be up for proofreading and giving you my critique and opinion.

So if you're alright with me using this as a way to subvert the clutches of procrastination upon my own projects, feel free to contact me.

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

Re: Looking for a writer for a gothic and burtonian visual n

#3 Post by DrSchizo »

Thanks for your comment.

There are several VN frameworks which are mostly made for generating an executable file. Really few of them can generate HTML5 website so I hope my engine can fill up the gap.

Several writers have already contacted me about this project. I hope this will lead to a fruitful collaboration.

I will keep you inform of the advancement of the project and will definitely contact you if I need some critiques and opinions ;)