Looking for artists, voice actor and others for a VN Saga

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
daresensei

Looking for artists, voice actor and others for a VN Saga

#1 Post by daresensei »

Hi!

I'm working on a multi-novel, multi-series saga/franchise of the science-fanatsy genre (though it's more fantasy than sci-fi), called The Multi-World Chronicles. It will consist of multiple novels/series, all set in the same multi-world universe, with some re-occuring characters, settings and other elements. I'm looking for people to help with art and writing, among other things.

NOTE: this is a free project I do in me freetime. All VN's in it will be free for anyone to download and play and the people working on this will, unfortunately, not be paid for it ('cause I don't have that kind of money).

NOTE2: As re-noted further bellow, I'm not expecting anyone to commit to the entire saga (least not at once), as it's a very big project. There's also a possibility that not every planned part of this will get done (though we'll try our very best to finish any part/novel that we've started on), so we'll try to work on no more than a couple of novels at a time, to see that we get something out! Any continuity bits that may end up unexplained in the VN-saga due to the part it was (supposed to be) in not being made, will be published in some form (propably as a condenced prose version).

NOTE3: This project will include some same-sex romance (both GL and BL), though it'll have alot of opposite-sex romance as well. Also some violent scenes (and possibly sexual once as well), though never just for the sake of it. It will always have a purpose for the plot and/or character development. If you're not comfortable with this, then don't apply.

Artists are 'hired' for one novel at a time, so I'm not expecting anyone to commit to the whole saga from the start. Especially as I'm not able to pay anyone for this (nor will I ear any money on it. The VN's will be free for anyone to download and play).
At the moment I'm looking for a new background artist for Dark Jewel - The Hollower, a drama novel with thriller and sci-fi elements, set in a futuristic-style city where the sun never rise. There's about 30 BG's needed for this, but most are fairly simple/standard.

Writers I'm doing a fair bit of writing for this myself, but as it's a rather big project, it would be great if some other writers would be willing to help. These will be 'hired' for a certain amount of chapters at a time, how many is up to the writer him-/herself, but the maximum you can take on at 'the same time' is one whole novel. At the moment I'm mainly looking for writers to work from base-ideas and/or pointers of mine, but I will eventually be open for 'completely new' ideas, so long as they fit into the multi-world saga.

I have narrowed down the list of series/novels that are open for applications, alot, and added some info on them.

Dark Jewel 2 & 3
I'm currently still working on part one (real life stuff is making it take a bit longer than I initially hoped, but it will be finished), but if someone wants to start on the second one, that would be great. The second one is set six years after the first, and mixes murder mystery with character drama, in a sci-fi setting. The third has less myster and more drama. It focuses on introducing 'the next generation' of characters (once that were children in the second novel, plus some new ones) as well as giving finality to some of the older characters' arcs. These are, probably, the shortest planned novels in the saga, and will be four chapters each.

Sailing Through Dimensions
This series follows the adventures of a small crew of interdimensional pirates, as they hunt for treasures, steal other's properties and battle both legal forces, rival pirates, weather and illness to survive their tough lives.
I may, or may not, have one or two writers for this, but more are welcome. The length and amount of novels for this series is rather flexible at the moment.

Voice Actors/singers
I'm now in need of re-casting one of the main characters in the four-chapter VN Dark Jewel - The Hollower a mature drama with a sci-fi setting and occasional sci-fi and thriller elements. This character is a singer, but I may be open to have different people do the speaking voice and singing voice respectively, though I'd still prefer to have one person do both. The character also appear at two different ages during the VN. Again, I may be willing to have two different actors, one for the 'present' and one for the flashbacks, but would prefer to have one for both.

To audition, please record the audion stuff for the part/s of the role you're auditioning for and send them to daresensei5@gmail.com

Emil Heart
Sexuality: Hetero
Bio: Emil is a star of glam rock with a huge fan-following, partly for his singing voice and partly for his charm. His manager works him very hard, and he often complains about it, but will still not give up his music career for anything. He has feelings for a woman named Diane and ones had an odd friendship with an enigmatic man named Jewel, whom he finds rather intimidating. This will complicate things for him as he returns home from an interdimensional tour, to find that Diane is now working for Jewel (at a toy factory).

Audition Line 27 years old 1: *to audience at the end of concert* Thank you everyone! I’m afraid that was the last song for tonight! Yes, I know, it’s sad, but we have to say goodbye now! Though, I’m sure I will remain in your chests. After all, I’m Emil Heart and that’s where hearts are, right!?

Audition Line 27 years old 2: *trying to convince Diane that a recent revelation does not mean he doesn't love her* I can tell you, have told you, that I love you. Quentin might not be the brightest friend I have, but he's an honest guy, so... whatever he told you, is true.

Audition Line 15 years old 1: Remind me Jewel, this 'Hollower' thing we're looking for... what exactly does it do?

Audition Line 15 years old 2: *not convinced that the relationship Diane has (in the flashback) won't last* How do you know that? It's not like he's mean to her or anything. He actually seems rather nice and he's probably more mature than me too. He's older after all.

Singing (27 years old): sing one verse and chorus of a glam rock song of your chose.

I'm otherwise mainly looking for voice actors for some minor and extras characters in Dark Jewel - The Hollower. I will ad more specific info on those later, but if your interested (before I do so) let me know, and perhaps get me a sample of your voice acting, and I might offer you part based on that, or send you some audition lines to record. More characters will become open, as the work on the saga progresses.

Music Composers
Essentially, if your interested in making any music for this saga, get me a sample of what kind of music you do, and I'll get back to you about what tracks/songs you may compose if you wish.

(ev) Foley Artists
I am quite willing to use stock sfx from free-sfx sites, but if there is someone who do wish to make some especially for this saga, I certainly wouldn't say no to that.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. You can contact me by pm, replying to this thread or e-mailing me at daresensei5@gmail.com
Last edited by daresensei on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Looking for artists, writers and others for a VN Saga

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

daresensei wrote:I'm working on a multi-novel, multi-series saga/franchise of the science-fanatsy genre (though it's more fantasy than sci-fi), called The Multi-World Chronicles. ... NOTE: this is a free project I do in me freetime. ...
Here is two paragraphs' worth of caution that I recently wrote in another thread, and which I've copied and pasted here:

I've seen an awful lot of work-in-progress visual novels and freeware games start out on a confident note. Within a few weeks or months, they stop updating. They seem to remain unfinished forever. Similar problems can affect fanfiction and webcomics.

Sometimes the problem is related to scope. If the person started by talking about their grand ambitions (a huge cast of characters, a long / multi-part story, or an extensive list of features), then I can usually understand why it didn't succeed. It takes a lot of work, persistence, and passion in order to finish a project with a large scope. If they can't charge money for the final product, then they can't use "Let's make money from it" or "Let's try to break even" as one of their motivations. At other times, there are problems such as circumstances. Some planned visual novels have been cancelled due to a computer failure, or because the person had to deal with a crisis. For more opinions and thoughts on this topic, see the Why So Many Unfinished VNs? thread.

I respect people who are interested in making large fictional universes and complex stories. I do not intend to discourage you from writing. However, you might benefit by focusing on one story at a time. Make sure you can dedicate enough time and effort to getting one of your planned stories finished. When it's done, then see if you're ready to move on to the next one.

daresensei

#3 Post by daresensei »

gekiganwing wrote:
daresensei wrote:I'm working on a multi-novel, multi-series saga/franchise of the science-fanatsy genre (though it's more fantasy than sci-fi), called The Multi-World Chronicles. ... NOTE: this is a free project I do in me freetime. ...
Here is two paragraphs' worth of caution that I recently wrote in another thread, and which I've copied and pasted here:

I've seen an awful lot of work-in-progress visual novels and freeware games start out on a confident note. Within a few weeks or months, they stop updating. They seem to remain unfinished forever. Similar problems can affect fanfiction and webcomics.

Sometimes the problem is related to scope. If the person started by talking about their grand ambitions (a huge cast of characters, a long / multi-part story, or an extensive list of features), then I can usually understand why it didn't succeed. It takes a lot of work, persistence, and passion in order to finish a project with a large scope. If they can't charge money for the final product, then they can't use "Let's make money from it" or "Let's try to break even" as one of their motivations. At other times, there are problems such as circumstances. Some planned visual novels have been cancelled due to a computer failure, or because the person had to deal with a crisis. For more opinions and thoughts on this topic, see the Why So Many Unfinished VNs? thread.

I respect people who are interested in making large fictional universes and complex stories. I do not intend to discourage you from writing. However, you might benefit by focusing on one story at a time. Make sure you can dedicate enough time and effort to getting one of your planned stories finished. When it's done, then see if you're ready to move on to the next one.
Well, thanks, but I have already thought of that and do wonder if you got as far as reading this bit of my post: As re-noted further bellow, I'm not expecting anyone to commit to the entire saga (least not at once), as it's a very big project. There's also a possibility that not every planned part of this will get done (though we'll try our very best to finish any part/novel that we've started on), so we'll try to work on no more than a couple of novels at a time, to see that we get something out!

Plus I mention, more than once in the post, that the script for one novel is very nearly finished already. I only have a couple of scenes left to write. I've got most of the voice cast for it already as well, plus some music. So I highly doubt that one won't be finished, as I've already got so far with it.

In other words: I AM doing this step by step and don't necesarily expect that everything I wish to do with this will get done, but I'll still strive to get as much of it done as possible. Though it doesn't necesarily has to be done in chronological order, which is partly why I've listed more than a couple of series as being open for co-writers. If a writer is interested in one particular series/story, then that's the one we'll focus on first. It doesn't matter too much to me which novel we do when.

I'd also like to just say that I do have a darn lot of passion for this saga and have worked on the basics (characters, settings, some plotting/continuity) for quite a long time already.

daresensei

#4 Post by daresensei »

An edit has now been made to the Voice actors/singer section of the main post, as I'm in need of a new actor for a character in the VN we're currently focusing on.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#5 Post by Mad Harlequin »

daresensei wrote:Well, thanks, but I have already thought of that and do wonder if you got as far as reading this bit of my post.
I haven't been around the forum for that long, but I've read enough of gekiganwing's posts to know that the advice they dispense is always based on a complete understanding of the project proposals at which they're addressed.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#6 Post by Rinima »

Mad Harlequin wrote:
daresensei wrote:Well, thanks, but I have already thought of that and do wonder if you got as far as reading this bit of my post.
I haven't been around the forum for that long, but I've read enough of gekiganwing's posts to know that the advice they dispense is always based on a complete understanding of the project proposals at which they're addressed.
I concore with this. I've seen here around the same amount of time as Mad Harlequin and I can only back up what gekiganwing's got to say, don't dismiss it so easily. We've seen hundreds of other people say the exact same thing as you and then, nothing.

Also, you've not actually stated how much work there will be. Saying 'one novel' isn't really enough. How many characters are there? How many CG's, BG's and sprites do you want? How long are the novels so the voice actors have a general understanding of how much work there is.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

daresensei

#7 Post by daresensei »

Rinima wrote:
Mad Harlequin wrote:
I concore with this. I've seen here around the same amount of time as Mad Harlequin and I can only back up what gekiganwing's got to say, don't dismiss it so easily. We've seen hundreds of other people say the exact same thing as you and then, nothing.

Also, you've not actually stated how much work there will be. Saying 'one novel' isn't really enough. How many characters are there? How many CG's, BG's and sprites do you want? How long are the novels so the voice actors have a general understanding of how much work there is.
Firstly, sorry for not replying for ages. While I've kept up to date with my pm's I've somehow failed to notice these new thread posts.

Secondly, I might not have been on this forum as long as you, but I have enough experience with starting/taking on 'projects' by now to know my own limits and not to focus on too much at once. It's not like I think gekiganwing is wrong, but rather that I've already thought of the things their post was saying.

As for the other things you said, that I will take into account and see if I can put some more details in the post, in regards to that. However, it's hard to say how much art and voice acting, or even writing, will actually be required for unwritten novels, as they may be partly flexible in regards to lenght and, to some degree, amount of settings and characters and how much each features in it. Some things are of course decided, like main/major characters, some-to-much of the plot and some-to-most f the settings, but not everything. This does, on the other hand, mean that the people who are interested in taking part, in making it, can influence the amount of work they have to do, to some extent.

daresensei

Re: Looking for artists, voice actor and others for a VN Sag

#8 Post by daresensei »

So, I've edited the first post with an update on the artist and writer sections.

Jin
Regular
Projects: Ephemeral (Writer), Woman of Xal (Singer for Demo/VO), Cute Demon Crashers (VO), Ashes of Destruction (Writer)
Soundcloud: anairisqui

#9 Post by Jin »

Sent you an email.

GuyFromYonder
Projects: "One Last Tear" and "A Lot of Firsts"

#10 Post by GuyFromYonder »

I would like to audition for voice acting any teenage male role that you have available. The genre does not matter and I will voice act for free. I sent you a PM, so please reply as soon as you get the chance.