Newb Dev seeks Mentor

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
SuperLexxx
Regular

Newb Dev seeks Mentor

#1 Post by SuperLexxx »

Hello there! I'm Lexi. I'm new to using ren'py and game development in general and I'm looking for a guiding hand to help me learn the ropes. I'm not looking for any assistance with the actual making of the project. I'm an artists and an animation student, so I'm confident I can handle all of the art and things like that. I may need help with coding from time to time, but I could always post a question on the forums.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a friend/guide who is familiar with Ren'py and with visual novels who I can discuss the more intimate details of my story and project with and who can give me feedback and a push in the right direction. I have a mentor who helps me with a lot of things, but they are unfamiliar with ren'py, visual novels, and anime in general (of which my project is heavily inspired by) so they can't offer much help to me there. If anyone would be willing to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Newb Dev seeks Mentor

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

While this is technically not a project and would fit better into the Creator part of this site, I'm willing to make an exception and allow this thread. It may not be the exact purpose of this sub-forum, but helping people build the skills to make VNs has always been one of the goals of the LSF in general.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#3 Post by desulishor »

I could volunteer, while I'm no coding wiz, I know the basics of ren'py and I've managed to finish two VN projects and I'm currently helping out a small FB-based group as an editor. Ideally, you'd want to get someone who also knows a bit of the advanced stuff like GUI modification and special features, but the forums and tutorials do exist, as you said. But another thing to consider is your future VN's genre, say 'dating sim', 'otome', mystery, fantasy etc. While most writers tend to educate themselves a bit of everything, you'd still want a mentor with similar preferences too.

You could add a bit of detail on what genres you'd like to focus on, (you don't usually post full synopses or character details in this section though) and what kind of features you'd want to include in your project. And if you think I could be of help, do send me a pm, though I should say, while my preferred genres are all over the place, I'm not that familiar with say otome, mystery or horror, for an example.

GreyWolfXx
Regular
IRC Nick: Grey

#4 Post by GreyWolfXx »

I know how to code GUI etcetera for Ren'Py and would be happy to help with that. PM/Skype me if you ever need help. My skype is greywolfxxii.

"We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom,
but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where
all the contradictions flow together." -- Terrence Mckenna

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#5 Post by Sorakun »

While I can't really help with Ren'Py, I do have a decent amount of experience with game development so feel free send me a message if you want any advice in general development or implementing more advanced features. Though I wouldn't recommend that for your first project.