Watercress Studios - Seeking artists and writers for Avitus!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
OptionalSauce
Completed: Palinurus, Fare Thee Well
Projects: Avitus, Our Home.
Organization: Watercress

Watercress Studios - Seeking artists and writers for Avitus!

#1 Post by OptionalSauce »

Hello, everyone!

I am OptionalSauce, PR Director, Writing Director, and one of the Lead Writers for Watercress Studios. I have posted a recruitment thread here before, but much of the information there is outdated, and our circumstances have changed considerably.

Here is a link to the old thread.

The project summary there is still accurate:
The visual novel follows the life of a college freshman from Vancouver attending a prestigious international arts university lying on the Swiss-Austrian border.

One of the main draws of Avitus is the Outreach Program, a department of the school dedicated to scouting for artistic talent amongst prospective students from around the world. These students come from less desirable backgrounds; many of whom are refugees, impoverished, or criminals.
Since posting the original thread back in October, we released a smaller scale visual novel for NaNoReNo 2015 - one you might be familiar with; Palinurus.

We have plans for other side projects, as well as plans to participate in future jams like NaNoReNo.

As for how you can help, we are in need of:

-Character Artists

-3D Artists

Anyone interested in joining us should provide examples of previous work.

Our main characters:

Acacia Reinhold
Acacia Reinhold is a laid-back student from Salzburg, Austria, who spends a lot of her time carving wood cut prints. She’s outgoing, but cherishes her quiet time. She is also wrestling with the choices ahead of her, as she has a hidden passion for dance.

Amelia Hawthorne
Amelia Hawthorne is a bright, energetic girl from Buffalo, USA who is enrolled in the School of Performing Arts. A popular actress, she cares a lot about her friends. She is always wearing a smile on her face- an act that can become very draining.

Hanna van der Merwen
Hanna ">:T" van der Merwen is a wily, headstrong film student from Pretoria, South Africa. Her exasperation at the pretentious artists all around her is matched only by her willingness to tell them exactly where they can shove their symbolism.

Natalie Doherty
Natalie Doherty is a soft-spoken, mild mannered writer native to London, England. Her passion for writing shelters the dark past that she keeps close to the chest. She is very independent, and as a result, has a tendency to push all but those closest to her away.

Sanne St. Pierre
Sanne St. Pierre is a troubled graffiti artist from Amsterdam, Netherlands. Obsessing over her art to an extreme, she will go so far as to put herself in harms way for the ‘perfect spot’. She often comes off as rude, albeit unintentionally, but she has a lighter side to her personality. She is seen as a troublemaker, and rightly so.

Min-Jian Hellstrom
(I'm trying to get a blurb on Min from her writer, there should be one soon)

Nathan Selby
Nathan Selby is the main character of our visual novel. More information about him will become available as we progress.

As a side note, anyone that might be interested in helping write for Acacia's route is also invited to contact us.

Cheers,

OptionalSauce
Last edited by OptionalSauce on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Watercress Studios is seeking new artists for Avitus & m

#2 Post by Kia »

You didn't ask for GUI designer but a look at your Palinurus tells me you don't have any. Write me back if you are need one so we can talk abut it.
Last edited by Kia on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OptionalSauce
Completed: Palinurus, Fare Thee Well
Projects: Avitus, Our Home.
Organization: Watercress

Re: Watercress Studios is seeking new artists for Avitus & m

#3 Post by OptionalSauce »

Kia wrote:You didn't ask for GUI designer but a look at your Palinurus tells me you don't have any. Write me back if you are need one so we can talk abut it.
We aren't actively seeking GUI artists at this point in development, however, since you have expressed interest, I'd like to see some of your previous work, and we'll see about getting you added to the team.

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

[WRITERS WANTED] Watercress Studios

#4 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

Hello!

Just bumping up this thread to announce that Watercress Studios is currently recruiting for new Assistant Writers. They will be assigned to a character route and collaborate with a Lead Writer in order to produce scenes, brainstorm content and ideas, and leave their mark on our visual novel, Avitus, currently in development.

Writers are expected to maintain steady contact with the Studio at large, especially their direct route peers and Lead Writer, and regular participate in studio and writers meetings. If you have free time on your hands, join our studio!

If you are interested in applying as an Assistant Writer, please submit a sample of your work to my inbox on LemmaSoft. The sample should be approximately 2500-3000 words in length. You will be in steady contact with me over the assessment process, and if we think you'll be a great fit, we'll show you the ropes.

Watercress will consider all applicants regardless of experience. We look forward to your submissions!

Regards,
TuttyTheFruity
Writing Director, Watercress Studios

"Chebdos": Put a disclaimer that there may be butt touching.
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

TheForeverLoneWolf
Regular
Completed: Lull, Palinurus, Seeds of Sylvia, Fare Thee Well, Our Home., Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!, Cautionary Tale, Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World Conquest!!, this was for you., A Field of Flowers and Stars.
Projects: Avitus, Missing Stars
Organization: Watercress, Somnova Studios, Imagibeat Studio
itch: watercress

Re: Watercress Studios - Seeking artists and writers for Avi

#5 Post by TheForeverLoneWolf »

Hello everyone, Wolf here! If you don't know me, I'm the Studio Director here at Watercress. Not only do I run a lot of Watercress, I also manage personnel/team building. Anyhow, I'm posting here to inform everyone that Watercress is currently recruiting! Following this foreword, there is a list of open positions and guidelines as to what one needs to fulfill said positions. While Watercress is recruiting for all positions (Writing, Art, Music and Coding), the following are the ones that are in high demand.

It's important to keep in mind that we are all VOLUNTEERS, making freeware Visual Novels. While one day we may earn money, currently we do not earn any money, and we do this as a hobby. Take this into consideration when thinking of applying :)

Art Director (x1)

Responsibilities:
Due in part to the number of artists and demanded skill of such, the Art Director shall act in the studio's best interests, but should otherwise have no explicit responsibilities, excluding the listed one. Preferably, the Art Director is able to ensure that tangible concept, sprite, and background art is produced on a regular basis, but this may not be possible at times. Each artist should have a route he/she is able to sketch for, and each lead writer should have access to at least one artist.
  • Ensure that art styles are "relatively" consistent. Art implements may be unavailable to specific artists but otherwise, "what is possible shall be done".
Note: While we have some 'career' artists (ones that have been with Watercress for ages, such as InstantRiot, the sprite artist for Palinurus), when it comes to free development, artistic talent is hard to hold onto. Basically, turnover rate is always going to be higher in this field, regardless of studio.

Required Skills:
  • Capable of leading a team within a creative environment
  • Capable of creating quality artistic content
Background Artists

Responsibilities:
  • Make backgrounds available to each Lead Writer (or assigned Lead Writer)
Required Skills:
  • Capable of creating quality background art (cityscapes and rural areas alike)
Sprite Artists

Responsibilities:
  • Make sprites available to each Lead Writer (or assigned Lead Writer)
Required Skills:
  • Capable of creating quality character sprites (male and female alike)
Lead Writer (x1)

Responsibilities:
  • Ensure that their route character is well-documented – mannerisms, organization, hobbies, and physical attributes should all be immediately accessible.
  • Manage assistant writers.
  • Create written content.
Required Skills:
  • Capable of leading a team within a creative environment
  • Capable of creating quality written content
Assistant Writers

Responsibilities
  • Assist assigned Lead Writer(s) with the design of characters, and drafting of scenes.
  • Provide critical feedback on completed drafts.
Required Skills:
  • Capable of creating quality written content.
----

On top of the specific skills, all positions require the following:
  • Capable of consistent and clear communication within a cooperative environment
  • Time to accomplish duties
  • An open mind
  • Desire to collaborate, not control
  • The ability to separate personal and working relationships
  • Drive to work with autonomy (take initiative :D)
  • A working knowledge of the English language
  • The ability to use communication suites (specifically Discord, Reddit and Google Drive)
Some positions may have more in depth recruitment processes, but that will be handled when we are contacted.

If you are interested in seeing what we've been doing for two years before you apply, feel free to check our itch page and studio website for our completed projects! We also have a game on Steam, located here.

Have any questions, or want to apply? Email us here: watercress.studios@gmail.com

Also, feel free to contact us on our public Discord server.

Thanks to everyone who's played our game so far! We look forward to releasing more games for you all in the future.
Feel free to check out some of Watercress' previous or current works. Here's a link to our itch.io, Steam, and our Discord!

Lucky1443
Regular
Projects: SACRIFICE
Tumblr: Lucky1443
Deviantart: Lucky1443

#6 Post by Lucky1443 »

If you're still looking for character artists I would like to offer my assistance, you can see examples of my artwork below, and to the left.
OPEN for SPRITE/CG ART viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38654 FREE TO USE ASSETS viewtopic.php?f=52&t=39634

demonicbagel
Regular
Projects: The Flower Girl, The Cycle of Magic: Zevair's Tale

#7 Post by demonicbagel »

I am a writer currently trying to get my own project off the ground, but I'm interested in learning more about your studio, at the very least. Perhaps we could collaborate and help one another?

Let me know if you require any information, though I hope that the driving thing wasn't literal because I don't have a license or $$ to go anywhere.
Visual Novel Team's Twitter - https://twitter.com/OHHeartsVN

Our Healing Hearts Tumblr Blog - http://ohheartsvn.tumblr.com/

Avatar- Potato Cow Studios Logo Character by MelowBee