Hello Lemma! I’m the writer for Red Lattice Studios, Omega, and we’re working on a sci-fi romance visual novel called Violet Hill. The core team has been together for several months now, and in this time we've released several demo versions, though the story has changed fairly significantly since our latest demo. Despite having vastly improved the art, UI and much of the music over the past few months however, we came to realise that in order for the visual novel to reach its full potential, we need... well, more artists ... hence why I’m posting here!
A very brief story synopsis
The story’s setting is in a fictional town called… well, Violet Hill. The main protagonist, 18-year-old Aoki Oka, is detached and scathingly cynical. Disillusioned from the lonely city he lives in and humanity as a whole, Aoki drifts through life with little purpose... until he returns to Violet Hill having been away for three years, and starts to rediscover the truths that await him there.
Ultimately, the story revolves around an indescribable, inexplicable phenomenon known as Mindstorm. It enters our dreams and torments our nights, it looks through our brain and drives us to madness, but as to what it is? That's what our characters are going to try and find out.
Without giving too much away, Violet Hill is a Denpa visual novel in the genres of Science fiction and romance, though some elements of the story may stray into horror.
Leading on from this, the visual novel will contain multiple routes, one for each of the five main heroines, a final unlockable route, as well as bonus routes that will be playable after the main routes are completed. All the routes will involve the mystery of "mindstorm" to varying extents in their own unique way.
- A detailed framework for a long sci-fi romance visual novel. Many of the overarching themes have been planned out for quite some time now including the phenomenon known as Mindstorm, the principal characters and several of their routes.
- Several full sets of sprites (more being made!), each including something ungodly like 60+ expressions and a couple of pose changes, and also an alternative outfit for each of the heroines. Because our artist is crazy (good).
- A variety of other art including our wonderful, beautiful title screen, a couple of CGs and Mindstorm/Violet Hill exploration scenes.
- Several pieces of music, with more on the way! Samples for Vokoca and Palas’ work are here and here, respectively.
- A good UI, designed by our project lead (who is a professional media designer), although we’re likely to continue adapting and polishing this as the project goes forward.
- Some backgrounds (BGs) made taking some photographs and putting a filter on them (á la Katawa Shoujo), though we did at one point have a background artist who has taken a break.
- As of yet, we have no plans to put our game on kickstarter or any kind of crowd funding website, but it's a possibility in the future if we feel we need funds for something like an opening animation, translations or something we wouldn't be able to do with our current talent.
- We intend to put our game on steam as a free to play visual novel, with potential sequels in the works afterwards as "DLC", so that it can gain easier access to the masses. Who knows, somewhere down the line we may even look at translations of the game so we can reach an even wider audience. The sky is the limit in this regard.
What we need… and why you should be interested!
Artist! Musicians! Designers! Our project, at the time of writing this, is pretty much open to anyone who has the talents and drive to work in a relatively large team on a long term project! (Apart from writers )
We want people who are passionate about their craft and visual novels in general and want to be part of a well-established bigger project, and I, in particular, want their own sense of individuality to shine through.
Ideally, we're looking for a BG artist, Chibi artist and a CG artist, but that's not to say other areas aren't open to recruitment! (Any artist we recruit would work closely with our current head artist, DarkSin, to achieve synergy between their different art styles, as well as our writing team, myself, Helvetica Standard, and ChocolateMilkGod, to make sure each work fits the mood of the story)
While we have some wonderfully talented people working on the music, GUI, SFX, quality check and editing of our game, we'll always be open to all the help we can get! If there are any musicians out there looking to work on a long-term project, or any creative type looking to build their portfolio and work in a team, we're open to the possibilities!
Now, what we have planned is quite a lot. Between multiple routes (~1-3 hours each?), a common route (~3-8 hours?) and even a true route (depending on writer feedback etc.), this will be a substantial bit of work with multiple CGs, backgrounds and chibi arts. Warnings aside however, joining the project will allow aspiring artists to join a project that is reasonably established, has a strong framework in place and will allow them to hone their skills!
If you’re interested, please leave a reply here and/or send me a message with at least two pieces of your previous work, along with which position you'd like to apply for. We have no particular pro forma, but it'd be nice to know how much you think you can contribute to the project.
*Note - Due to previous bad experiences with abrasive and downright destructive team members, any new recruits will spend a short amount of time (2 weeks~ish at an estimate) where we will evaluate your work ethic and ability to work in a team. This might sound like we're a bunch of snobs or something, but that's really not the case. We just want to make sure we don't end up recruiting someone who is detrimental to the morale and unity of the team.
Thanks for your consideration. I look forward to hearing back from any potential teammates!
Please note that we are a non-profit project meaning however much we’d want to pay our talented applicants and staff, we don’t have the money to do so.