Looking for BG artist for a yuri romance/psyche game

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

Looking for BG artist for a yuri romance/psyche game

#1 Post by killdream »

Hello,

I'm writing a psychological exploration game for Yuri Game Jam, which runs from September to October. If you decide joining, it would be nice if you could be available during most of the two months. You can either PM me or hit me up on Twitter (@robotlolita). We'll communicate through Slack (a messaging service that can be used on the phone or on the web).
Premise

Psychological fiction is something I’ve always been interested in writing, but the usual medium for that is limiting. As the author, you’re the only one who gets to decide how the events unfold, and how the characters react to them. The reader can only sit tightly in their chairs and hope they enjoy the ride, but they can’t really influence it. For some stories, I don’t think this medium is a good fit.

It wasn’t until much later, when I became more familiar with the Interactive Fiction scene, that all of these ideas I had about how to portray these stories turned out more feasible. In IF, the player can explore the world of the game, and influence it. Emily Short’s Versu, in particular, was a major influence in this vision.

Now it’s about time I put those ideas in the paper (or rather, computer), so people can experience them. The keyword here is experience. The major goal of EVūL is to let people explore and experience the psyche of the characters and their relationships.

Plot

When life seemed to finally go the right way for the lesbian journalist Mary, her fiancée, Ann, dies in a car accident. Devastated, Mary takes a break from work and moves to a countryside town to try and carry on with her life, and devote her attention to her daughter.

(While most of the game revolves around Mary reminiscing her late fiancée, there's a fair bit of other kinds of relationships to explore, including a potential future girlfriend)

Characters

Mary
A 32-year-old lesbian journalist who likes outdoor activities. She has a daughter from her previous marriage, and the father visits his daughter regularly. After the death of her fiancée she moves to a countryside town to try getting on with her life.

Clara
A cheerful 8-year-old girl who loves art. She and Ann were pretty close, and used to talk about different art styles and history all the time.

Ann
A 28-year-old professional photographer who loved nature. She was particularly famous for her nude art.

Michelle
A 41-year-old woman and Mary's psychologist.

Laura
A 25-year-old woman who's the guitarist of an indie/folk rock band, and DJ's as a hobby. She's a pansexual, and becomes quite interested in Mary after meeting her.

What am I looking for?
  1. A background artist
  2. Possibly a sprite/CG artist so I can focus on the story/game engine (since I can't use Ren'Py :/)
  3. A musician
  4. An editor (because I'm ESL, and my English is terrible)
Art-wise, there's:
  1. 5 backgrounds (Mary's bedroom, living room, kitchen, a backyard, a park)
  2. 4 sprites (Mary, Ann, Clara, and Laura), with 5 emotion variations (happy, sad, angry, surprised, scared)
  3. A few cut-ins of some items (past photos and stuff)
I'll probably keep the art black&white (like in Hotel Dusk). The only restriction on the sprites is that I don't want them to be "moe", but something like Nishi Uko's would be okay.

I still need to figure out how much work it would be music-wise. Initially I'm thinking of songs to just fill the major moods (sad recollection, fond memories, carefree chatting in a park, slice-of-life-ish general mood).
Last edited by killdream on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lucky1443
Regular
Projects: SACRIFICE
Tumblr: Lucky1443
Deviantart: Lucky1443

Re: Looking for artists/musicians for a yuri romance/psyche

#2 Post by Lucky1443 »

could I be the editor?
OPEN for SPRITE/CG ART viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38654 FREE TO USE ASSETS viewtopic.php?f=52&t=39634

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

#3 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

I'd be interested in being your gui artist since I like the overall story, though I have zero skills in coding.
ImageImage

SwedishJazz
Regular
Tumblr: zeuswares

#4 Post by SwedishJazz »

I'd be interested in being the sprite artist! You can check out my work on my artblog.

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#5 Post by killdream »

@Lucky1443 Sure.

@LadyOfGatsby Cool! I'm not sure what it'll have for GUI yet since I'm still working in the engine, but I should have most of it ready by the end of this week (so a little before September).

@SwedishJazz Neat! I'm finishing the fleshing the characters out part (it should be done by Thursday or something), so feel free to change their appearances if you want.

I'll be PM'ing y'all with the details for Slack and stuff.

BreakingMachines
Regular
Projects: Alphateers, BabySteps
Deviantart: causticFish
itch: causticfish

Re: Looking for BG artist for a yuri romance/psyche game

#6 Post by BreakingMachines »

Hi Killdream,

The game sounds fantastic! I’m really looking forward to its release.It’s so nice to see older characters in a visual novel and yuri for once! While I’m mainly a character artist, I’d still love to participate as a BG artist. I haven’t done much backgrounds, and many of the ones I've done are still in progress sitting on my computer. But here’s a completed one.

Is there any style you’re interested in for the BGs? Do these need to be in black and white too?
How many would you need finished at the end of a week?
Attachments
bgsample.PNG
ImageImage
Queer game designer, writer, and artist.

NEED ART? http://causticfish.wixsite.com/works