Intrepid : Closed for now

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Genesis
Regular
Completed: Intrepid
Deviantart: Genn-esis

Intrepid : Closed for now

#1 Post by Genesis »

Hello all! I am Genesis, and at the moment, I am developing a VN that goes by the name of Intrepid. More detailed information can be found at the main thread itself (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=33802) but since the foreword is relatively lengthy, here is a brief summary of what the game is all about:

Background Information: In the story, it is year 3050. Humans have been vanquished by the sorcerers, the new figures of power. They are mentioned to be extremely influential creatures, and the stories surrounding them are all about their heroic acts. On the other hand, there are the giants whom are ostracised by the society mainly because malignant information has been spread that has led to creatures believing that the giants are up to no good. Hence, giants have moved to a separate place of residence called the Giants' Residence. The Giants' Residence forbids any creature's entry with the exception of giants, while for any other places, the presence of giants are banned.

Gist of the actual story: Anyway, the main story takes place in a cave and the cave may very well be the only setting of the entire game. The story actually focuses on the conversations that take place between Mireille, Tilda and Rocky (but Rocky arrives much later, so it is mainly between Mireille and Tilda).

Notable Cliques:
Sorcerers - Well, they are pretty much the antagonists of this game (at least, they are portrayed by the characters to be so). According to Mireille, they are the ones who initiated the giants' alienation, and they're apparently power-hungry and scheming creatures. To the average creatures, they are the wise and angelic beings who can commit no crime. They have an advantage in magic and knowledge.
Giants - They are notorious for their intimidating looks and gruff personality; that is partially why all the creatures believe in the rumours. After they are ostracised by the society for no particular reason, they resent the sorcerers and are determined to avenge for themselves someday. All the descendants are taught to hate the sorcerers. Another thing is that every one hundred years at the date of the creation of the Giants' Residence, a mini celebration will go on among the giants.
Imps - Imps are renowned for their small build and wittiness. Like any other creatures, all (at least most) of them admire the sorcerers. They have an advantage in charm.

Characters:
Mireille - She is the protagonist of the game. She has lived in the cave for one hundred years (which is really only a ninth of a giant's entire lifetime) and apparently, she has been alienated from the other giants because she has a personality that is too compassionate for a giant's. Therefore, she moved to the cave, but because she was loyal to the giants, she moved to a cave that was near the Giants' Residence. Although she seems nonchalant most of the time, she is actually very pessimistic and emotional in the inside. Like most giants, she absolutely loathes the sorcerers.

Tilda - Basically, she is the typical happy-go-lucky imp, but in actuality, she cannot stand boredom and has to continuously do things to keep her mind occupied. She believes in viewing life with optimism as much as possible. For some reason, she detests the sorcerers.

Rocky - It is basically a very mysterious being that has somehow hidden in the cave all along. It possesses wish-granting abilities.

Themes explored:
The main theme is really about the idea of helplessness in a society where one is powerless to do anything (or for the matter of fact, even if one does have the power, he or she ends up misusing it). The main question surrounding this visual novel is: What would you do if you have the ability to make one wish?
Some other sub-topics are regarding superiority, power, alienation, stereotypes, the definition of time so on so forth.

Features:
+ Word count: 16K words
+ Two endings (one which contains two alternate views)

Positions:
Note: Asterisks (**) means the position is not available yet.
+ Editors // 1: I would like to have a few editors who will be able to identify grammatical mistakes, typos, odd sentence structures and the like from the script. Preferably, they should have a strong grasp of the English language. I would also appreciate if the editors can give me some feedback (what I am specifically looking for is stated below) but it is not mandatory.
**+ Beta-testers // 4: I would like to have a few beta-testers who can do a playthrough or two throughout the game to see if there are any bugs. There are no specific requirements for beta-testers but it would be great if some of them are writers themselves (although I'd like to gain opinions from a reader's perspective as well). Also, I would appreciate it if the beta-testers can give their opinions about the game.

Questionnaire
- What do you think of the writing style?
- Do you feel emotionally attached to the characters?
- What do you think of the portrayal of the story as well as the themes?
- What is your opinion of the endings?
- Any other comments and feedback would be appreciated!

In return:
Naturally, there will be credit in the game itself. There will be no payment, unfortunately, but if you would like me to render any sort of assistance to your projects (such as writing, GUI or the like), I'll be happy to help as long as I am available. :)

Progress:
STORY
Draft 1: 100% (Story format + script)
Draft 2: 100% (Refining details + more descriptive writing)
Draft 3: 10% (More refining + editing)

ART
Sprites: 90%
Background: 100%
GUI: 100%

OTHERS
Programming: 80%
Music: 100%

Demo V0.25 (NOTE: NOT UPDATED YET)
For anyone who would like to have a better sense of how the game will be like, I have created a pretty short demo (around 3K words) to give you an idea of the direction that the game is heading to. Note: Since Tilda's sprite is not finalised, her sprite is replaced by a placeholder in the demo.
>> Click the following link for the demo. (https://www.mediafire.com/?8b85ppy51mmsqyq) Alternatively, you can download via LSF.

Finally...
Thank you for reading this thread! Feel free to leave a comment or PM if you have any questions :)
Attachments
Intrepid-0.25-all.zip
Demo V0.25
(57.67 MiB) Downloaded 30 times
One example of the GUI. Please refer to the main thread for more examples!
One example of the GUI. Please refer to the main thread for more examples!
Last edited by Genesis on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:09 am, edited 9 times in total.

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intrepid : Looking for Redliner!

#2 Post by Genesis »

Here are a few updates:
+ Draft 2 and the sourcing of music is finally completed!
+ Also, a short demo (around 3K words) has been uploaded for anyone who would like to get a sense of what the game will be like.
+ Lastly, the editor position is now available for those who are interested :)

raven.baskerville
Projects: H.I.DEPARTMENT, Seven Days, Black&White
Organization: Pulse studios
IRC Nick: Rav
Deviantart: ravenbaskerville

Re: Intrepid : Looking for Redliner and Editors!

#3 Post by raven.baskerville »

I would like to be an editor, if the position is still available. [I'm a grammar nazi e-e]
Also, the beta-test isn't available yet, but I'm up for that when it's available too :D
Good luck, the menu's design is beautiful.

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intrepid : Looking for Redliner and Editors!

#4 Post by Genesis »

raven.baskerville wrote:I would like to be an editor, if the position is still available. [I'm a grammar nazi e-e]
Also, the beta-test isn't available yet, but I'm up for that when it's available too :D
Good luck, the menu's design is beautiful.
Thank you! I am glad you find the menu design beautiful. Unfortunately, an unforeseen situation had occurred:

My computer malfunctioned and so, all my script files are now gone :( (sadly, I didn't manage to save a backup copy). I have managed to recover the script files from the demo but I am afraid that is all to it. Although I can't send you the whole script (since I have to rewrite the story), I can send you by scenes as soon as I finish them so that you can edit them as I write. If that arrangement is all right for you, I will send you the ones I have from the demo.

I will leave this message for anyone else who may be interested in the editor position to read. Also, progress may be a bit slow now in terms of the script, but I'll still continue writing it :)

raven.baskerville
Projects: H.I.DEPARTMENT, Seven Days, Black&White
Organization: Pulse studios
IRC Nick: Rav
Deviantart: ravenbaskerville

Re: Intrepid : Looking for Editors!

#5 Post by raven.baskerville »

Alright. I hope you can manage though, make sure to have a backup file this time D:

Genesis
Regular

Re: Intrepid : Looking for an Editor!

#6 Post by Genesis »

Just to update:
The new Draft 2 is completed and it is 16K words long. I'm still looking for an editor, so if anyone is interested, feel free to PM me or comment on this thread! :)

K_Tate

Re: Intrepid : Looking for an Editor!

#7 Post by K_Tate »

I'd like to edit if you're still looking :)