Fool's Helper [romcom] - CLOSED

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Vagrant-Muffin
Regular
Completed: The Bare Escape, Fool's Helper, Lucky Days
Projects: Red Wolf Hiding
Tumblr: vagrant-muffin
itch: vagrant-muffin

Fool's Helper [romcom] - CLOSED

#1 Post by Vagrant-Muffin »

EDIT: The writing is now all done and I'll be taking on all the remaining duties. Thank you to everyone who responded and helped!!

Introduction:

Hello everyone! My name is Jen and I’m looking to forming a group interested in making visual novels together in the long run. Currently I’ve finished only one game, Lucky Days, which was done solo. I’m hoping to change that with Fool’s Helper, a relatively short VN where a lot of the basics of the game are already planned out so that we can show each other that we’re willing to work together to complete a project!

I plan on keeping Fool's Helper a free game once released.

The Story:
Fool’s Helper is a slice-of-life romantic comedy that consists of a prologue that splits into two routes, each with two endings, a friendship ending and a romance ending. The player chooses which route they would like to play immediately after the prologue. Endings are determined by simple choices during the routes, such as how the heroine reacts to a situation.

As long as these elements are maintained and are kept simple and straightforward, I am open to ideas and changes to the story.
“Love isn't easy. For hopeless romantic Brian and struggling writer Lee, the pursuit of love has been difficult. That is, until they meet the heroine! Can she help fill their lives with romance? Maybe even find some herself?

Everyone's a fool in love, but the heroine is here to help!”
The heroine of Fool’s Helper (name to be decided) is the champion of solving problems. Constantly sent out on crazy errands by her eccentric boss, she’s learned to be resourceful and a quick thinker. When she’s not busy with work, she indulges in the newest romance novel she can find.
Brian at first glance appears to be the perfect gentleman. That is, until the heroine happens upon Brian being coldly dumped by his date due to his ridiculous ideas of romance. He needs to make it up to the poor woman he disappointed, but how can he show how truly sorry he is if getting down on his knees and begging isn’t a good idea?! Luckily, the heroine has the right solution for him.
Lee is a scary-faced writer who’s actually really embarrassed that he loves romance novels and wants to start writing his own, but actually has no idea where to start. He’d never admit to the ungodly amount of time he’s spent lurking in the romance aisle to no avail. He thinks himself beyond hope, but the heroine won’t leave a fellow romance lover behind!
Positions:
I’m looking for people willing to work with deadlines arranged to their individual schedules, in order to ensure that we can complete the game (deadlines will also be made for me as well). I’ll be willing to provide multiple ways to contact me once you join, so that we can work through any problems that may arise!

Co-writer - CLOSED [Thank you, Ran!]
  • Will write one route, can choose which guy they prefer
  • There will be two endings, one friendship and one romantic. The choices in the route determine what ending the player receives
  • There is a loose outline that can be followed
  • I am open to other ideas and changes to the story, but I’m aiming to keep the story simple and straightforward
Sprite Artist - Open
  • At minimum 2 Characters, Brian and Lee
  • 5 expressions and 2 poses each
  • Optional: Bust shot of MC (Also 5 expressions)
  • Open to any style, but aiming for expressive sprites
  • Doesn’t have to match the exact model on character sheets, but I will push for maintaining key characteristics (i.e. MC’s hair and skin tone)
  • Also open to changing outfit palettes and details

CG Artist - Open
  • At minimum 4 CGs, one for each ending
  • Optional: If able, I’m looking for a CG for each key point, which under the current outline will amount to a total of 10 CGs (including the 4 ending CGs). Again the additional 6 CGs are optional
  • Optional: I’d prefer them to match the style of the sprites, so would have to work with sprite artist

BG Artist - Open
  • 7 backgrounds, 5 interiors and 2 exteriors
  • The setting is akin to downtown or a small shopping area with a nearby park
  • Does not have to be dead on realism, simple is fine

Programmer - CLOSED [Thank you, Marionette!]
  • Implementing GUI

I will also be a writer for this project, working on the route not taken by the other writer, and will take charge of GUI, any additional art assets that we’re not able to get another artist for, and scripting.

As of now, all the assets presented in this post have been made by me and are subject to change for the final game. In addition, I’ve already written the entirety of the prologue and have the routes outlined and I also have all the GUI concepts sketched out. There is also an editor on board to help out with proofreading.

This is my first time making a recruitment post, so please feel free to let me know of any concerns or problems with it!
Last edited by Vagrant-Muffin on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Marionette
Regular
Completed: https://marionette.itch.io/
Projects: Get Meowt of Here
Deviantart: rexx9224
itch: marionette
Discord: Marionette#2995

Re: Fool's Helper [romcom] - Looking for writer + artists!

#2 Post by Marionette »

Vagrant-Muffin wrote:Introduction:

Hello everyone! My name is Jen and I’m looking to forming a group interested in making visual novels together in the long run. Currently I’ve finished only one game, Lucky Days, which was done solo. I’m hoping to change that with Fool’s Helper, a relatively short VN where a lot of the basics of the game are already planned out so that we can show each other that we’re willing to work together to complete a project!

The Story:
Fool’s Helper is a slice-of-life romantic comedy that consists of a prologue that splits into two routes, each with two endings, a friendship ending and a romance ending. The player chooses which route they would like to play immediately after the prologue. Endings are determined by simple choices during the routes, such as how the heroine reacts to a situation.

As long as these elements are maintained and are kept simple and straightforward, I am open to ideas and changes to the story.
“Love isn't easy. For hopeless romantic Brian and struggling writer Lee, the pursuit of love has been difficult. That is, until they meet the heroine! Can she help fill their lives with romance? Maybe even find some herself?

Everyone's a fool in love, but the heroine is here to help!”
The heroine of Fool’s Helper (name to be decided) is the champion of solving problems. Constantly sent out on crazy errands by her eccentric boss, she’s learned to be resourceful and a quick thinker. When she’s not busy with work, she indulges in the newest romance novel she can find.
Brian at first glance appears to be the perfect gentleman. That is, until the heroine happens upon Brian being coldly dumped by his date due to his ridiculous ideas of romance. He needs to make it up to the poor woman he disappointed, but how can he show how truly sorry he is if getting down on his knees and begging isn’t a good idea?! Luckily, the heroine has the right solution for him.
Lee is a scary-faced writer who’s actually really embarrassed that he loves romance novels and wants to start writing his own, but actually has no idea where to start. He’d never admit to the ungodly amount of time he’s spent lurking in the romance aisle to no avail. He thinks himself beyond hope, but the heroine won’t leave a fellow romance lover behind!
Positions:
I’m looking for people willing to work with deadlines arranged to their individual schedules, in order to ensure that we can complete the game (deadlines will also be made for me as well). I’ll be willing to provide multiple ways to contact me once you join, so that we can work through any problems that may arise!

Co-writer - Open
  • Will write one route, can choose which guy they prefer
  • There will be two endings, one friendship and one romantic. The choices in the route determine what ending the player receives
  • There is a loose outline that can be followed
  • I am open to other ideas and changes to the story, but I’m aiming to keep the story simple and straightforward
Sprite Artist - Open
  • At minimum 2 Characters, Brian and Lee
  • 5 expressions and 2 poses each
  • Optional: Bust shot of MC (Also 5 expressions)
  • Open to any style, but aiming for expressive sprites
  • Doesn’t have to match the exact model on character sheets, but I will push for maintaining key characteristics (i.e. MC’s hair and skin tone)
  • Also open to changing outfit palettes and details
CG Artist - Open
  • At minimum 4 CGs, one for each ending
  • Optional: If able, I’m looking for a CG for each key point, which under the current outline will amount to a total of 10 CGs (including the 4 ending CGs). Again the additional 6 CGs are optional
  • Optional: I’d prefer them to match the style of the sprites, so would have to work with sprite artist

BG Artist - Open
  • 7 backgrounds, 5 interiors and 2 exteriors
  • The setting is akin to downtown or a small shopping area with a nearby park
  • Does not have to be dead on realism, simple is fine
Programmer - Open
  • Implementing GUI

I will also be a writer for this project, working on the route not taken by the other writer, and will take charge of GUI, any additional art assets that we’re not able to get another artist for, and scripting.

As of now, all the assets presented in this post have been made by me and are subject to change for the final game. In addition, I’ve already written the entirety of the prologue and have the routes outlined and I also have all the GUI concepts sketched out. There is also an editor on board to help out with proofreading.

This is my first time making a recruitment post, so please feel free to let me know of any concerns or problems with it!
Hey Jen,

Do you still need a programmer? :3

If you need to see some examples of games I've worked on you can find the completed and on-going projects I've worked on here - http://www.lolicode.com/

Regards,
Marionette~

Vagrant-Muffin
Regular
Completed: The Bare Escape, Fool's Helper, Lucky Days
Projects: Red Wolf Hiding
Tumblr: vagrant-muffin
itch: vagrant-muffin

Re: Fool's Helper [romcom] - Looking for writer + artists!

#3 Post by Vagrant-Muffin »

Marionette wrote:
Hey Jen,

Do you still need a programmer? :3

If you need to see some examples of games I've worked on you can find the completed and on-going projects I've worked on here - http://www.lolicode.com/

Regards,
Marionette~
Hi Mari!

Thanks for checking out Fool's Helper! PM has been sent :>