*Controversial Visual Novel* Recruiting Team Of Writers

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
ThatManStan287

*Controversial Visual Novel* Recruiting Team Of Writers

#1 Post by ThatManStan287 »

*Warning this project plot has to do with the following: Drug and alcohol use, bullying, suicidal topics, Traps, and incest*

Plot: The MC (Player choosable name) has lived in the West for many years; however, after the death of his father, he moved in with his mother in Japan where he was born and spent a decent amount of his childhood. All he has to do is finish his last year of high school and he can either move back to the west or stay in Japan. He half suspected that he’d live the stereotypical Japanese high school life that he read about in manga and anime, but as it turns out, Japanese high school isn’t that different from the western ones.

Now there’s a certain type of feeling I want to get off of this game. Now for most visual novels, the whole goal is escapism, right? Real life sucks, and no one likes it, that’s why people submerge themselves in things like visual novels. But in this story, I want it to be realistic. Life isn't always perfect. There will be love, but it’s not the perfect, everything’s sunshine and rainbows, type of love. That's in most visual novels.
If you’ve ever played Yume Miru Kusuri then you know exactly the feeling I’m talking about. If you don’t well, I’ll explain more in detail, if you’re interested and want to join the team!

So basically I wanted to create a visual novel that plays with a few tropes that aren’t usually seen in other visual novels.

Firstly, I want the main character to be a Half Japanese, Half western foreigner. This mostly is to have people connect more to the character they’re playing, after all, this game is made for the western audience and the reader is really supposed to put themselves into the MC shoes. (Not to say that if it ever got translated into Japanese, they wouldn’t enjoy it, but still) Hopefully, I can make an option to choose the race of the MC’s father. White, Black, Asian etc.
How do I plan on doing that? Simple, just have the CG for the character stop at the neck or mid face and change the skin tone for the MC. Plenty of visual novels never show more of the MC than that, so I don’t think it would be that hard.

Now the rest of the tropes will be the type of Heroines (And some topics later on). This is the part to see if you really want to be a part of the game’s development.

A Ganguro Girl: Very stereotypical. A bit of a school bully, has been known to sleep around, loves parties, loves drugs, etc.

Ganguro girls really don’t get enough love (in anime, manga, and visual novels). I mean, yeah, they’re usually really mean and bossy and over all terrible people, but sometimes that’s just what people want to date, y’know? For an example, Audrey from hunnie pop was my favorite girl.

Half-sister: Exactly what it is. The daughter of the main characters mother and her husband (Who is not the MC’s father)

Now we’ve seen step-sister (God we’ve seen it so much…) And we’ve seen full blood-related sisters. But how much have we seen half-sisters? To me, it works out perfect, because there’s still the forbidden love there, but it doesn’t seem AS weird, considering the siblings are only half blood and they grew up separate. They probably don’t even share physical similarities.

Teacher: The main characters homeroom teacher.

Oh man, they either do this so well in VNs or sooo wrong. The whole appeal of the teacher is the older woman/ forbidden love feeling from it. If there’s one thing I hate, it’s when a visual novel has a teacher route and they don’t even address once that it’s not allowed for a student to be together with a student. Like the teacher from Koi iro Chu! Lips. That whole plot was about getting her out of an arranged marriage, and NOONE even cared that they were student and teacher! It irked me to no end.

Trap: An actual honest to god trap. A boy who looks like a girl.

Now, this is going to be a miss for a lot of people. Luckily, if they don’t like it they can go play the other three girls. (if they don’t like incest either there are only two girls, but hey *Shrugs* ) But if there’s another thing I hate, it’s a trap who says they’re a boy, and then they turn out to be a girl regardless. To me that’s just an easy cop out.

Now here’s the other things I want to bring into the fold of the story.

I really want to have an accurate and respectful view on suicidal topics. I believe at some point a few of the heroines (and maybe the MC) will start to feel depressed and have suicidal thoughts. I want to make it in a relatable way, that way the reader can really bond with the MC and the girl they’re romancing.

Drug and alcohol use. Well, drug and alcohol use is very controversial in the fact that drug and alcohol can destroy a person’s life; however, in today’s day in age, it's not that all uncommon anymore to see people using it, even in Japanese high schools (mostly big cities like Tokyo.) In this story, drugs will be used in different ways. Some of the characters use it for fun, others use it to run away from their lives.

Bullying kind of ties into suicidal topics, but I also want to do an accurate depiction of bullying in high school, over things like social media, and how it doesn’t always effect the victim, sometimes it really does.

Social media. I think this is going to be a big part of the story, though I haven’t figured out how just yet.

What I need:
At this point, all I’m doing is putting a team of writers together. If you want to be a writer then please reply with some examples of your writing and which girl/boy you’d want to write for. Of course, you’ll have to be okay with Co-writing. This is probably going to be a long project, at least the writing portion will be, that's why I want to get a team of writers and not just do it on my own.

So far, the amount I have done of this visual novel is what I have written here and a couple random ideas floating in my head. But I wanted to recruit writers before I come up with characters and things of that nature because it's easier to write for things if you were a part of creating it.

Xaneath

Re: *Controversial Visual Novel* Recruiting Team Of Writers

#2 Post by Xaneath »

I would love to help with this project, controversial as it may be. I feel like having a blood-related character may push it over the edge for some people, but some stories will be told no matter what, and I'd like to help them be told well. I don't mind having a trap character at all, though. Perhaps the trap character will be bullied for his feminine looks, and a bully will find out about his crossdressing? (haha, you haven't even said you'll take me and I'm already tossing out ideas. Ooh, maybe the ganguro girl is the one bullying the trap!) I can also help with depression/suicidal thoughts for all characters. My only fear is that I will prove too unreliable to be helpful: I am known for occasionally *poof*ing out of conversations for several days.
If you don't mind the possibility that I will prove unhelpful, I would love to help with your project. Thanks!

czxcjx
Regular

#3 Post by czxcjx »

Your project sounds interesting. I just PM'ed you.
The place where I dump my reviews because I'm too lazy to make my own website:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/czxcjx

Alex Falkenberg
Soundcloud: alexfb

#4 Post by Alex Falkenberg »

Would you be looking for a composer for this project?
Why can I only use such small images?

Marmalxdekid

#5 Post by Marmalxdekid »

I love the concept and the idea of making your novel more realistic, I'd love to work with you as a writer for this idea. If you're still looking for writer and are interested It'd be a pleasure if you could pm me further details!

Gaudeamus
Regular
Deviantart: Gaudeamusmx

#6 Post by Gaudeamus »

If it were the English is not my native language and I still don´t know the grammar, I would sign up for your project because it seems very interesting, hopefully you can on withis and share your progress with us

Good luck and cheerup :wink: